The Video Neah Bay pt 2

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

The Video Neah Bay pt 2

Post by H20doctor »

Well here is my rendition of my 2 dives on sunday .. The first part of this Movie is me trying to follow Chad on the Fingers.. Its blurry and fast due to the current, I've never tried to film in current and at the same time try to keep up with a diver who Is on a Mission... I used what I could for the footage , the second part is 3rd beach reef and some of the Highlights of that dive... The fingers were deep V chanels carved out by either Volcano's or the Ice age .. You could swim in and over the ridges , once down in the ridge , you can be protected from the surge and current .. It was a thrill ride , fast and moving.. At times I had to hold onto the reef with hand over hand to stay put .. Towards the end we just let go and got blown away to free ascend into the green and to do a safety ...3rd beach was nice and relaxing , lots to see and look at .. I got to solo dive and just take in the sites , I played in the kelp for a bit and swam with the Black rock fish... There were lots of yellow Nudis , and other types also.. Soft layers of Kelp . Many types of reds and brown colors... Vis the whole weekend was good , but not great ... We had a great time , lots of food and friends ... The drive home was Long and Hard , and it was difficult to stay awake and drive the car.. I met up with everyone at the ferry and we had a 2 boat wait... The other crew also got to dive Cresent lake for the gear rinse ..
[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/11980751[/vimeo]
Last edited by H20doctor on Sun May 23, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
rjarnold
Submariner

Re: The Video Neah Bay pt 2

Post by rjarnold »

That's some trippy music...
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Chris,

Excellent video. Those kelp shots at the fingers make me say "what the hell were we doing diving in that"?, but it sure was fun.

I wish I had the patience to shoot video like that.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Diving in 2 knot current , that's what we were doing ...
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

pretty cool Doc. I was a little green when I saw the China Rockfish. When I saw the Pink Hydrocoral I decided I dont like you anymore :neener: That almost makes us even for Deception Pass. They are both on my bucket list(photobucket that is)
you need to figure out how to take the hotspots out of your light setup for video. the Lower light footage I think is the best
because there are no spots. You are definitely making me want a video camera.
Keep'em coming,
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I believe the plant I video taped is a Calcium rich plant like Halmedia .. Not sure on the spelling ?
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

So I'm curious - did you miss slack or did you want to dive in 2 knot current?

Great area - hoping to get out there this summer and do some surveys!
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

nwscubamom wrote:So I'm curious - did you miss slack or did you want to dive in 2 knot current?

Great area - hoping to get out there this summer and do some surveys!
With the limited amount of days we had out there and the big turnout, we had to dive when we could. That dive was Sunday and I had to be on the road home by 230 at the latest. Slack was going to hit too late to allow us to dive there at optimal conditions and me still make the ferry home.

The fingers are quickly becomng my favorite dive site out there.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I'm not sure.. Sometimes the plan at Neah Bay is to dive .. And the Boat will pick us up when we get done
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Gotcha - sometimes time constraints are the limiting factor. And yeah, the Fingers is an amazing place!! Interesting topography, interesting critters.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
supacooper
Avid Diver

Post by supacooper »

The fingers definitely had some current. My head is hurting just by trying to focus on your video. Wasp and I did a free ascend and ended up way out. Boats were a major concern. Don't think they any of them knew what a dive flag was. Luckily we had a live boat, whistle and SMB. Great times though, great times! :partydance:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

full version is up now... with find the cabbie ... Ha Ha Ha HA
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

supacooper wrote:The fingers definitely had some current. My head is hurting just by trying to focus on your video. Wasp and I did a free ascend and ended up way out. Boats were a major concern. Don't think they any of them knew what a dive flag was. Luckily we had a live boat, whistle and SMB. Great times though, great times! :partydance:
Speaking of that free ascent, I just dove last weekend and found a double ender clipped to my BC from that trip...who's was that?
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

WASP7000 wrote:
supacooper wrote:The fingers definitely had some current. My head is hurting just by trying to focus on your video. Wasp and I did a free ascend and ended up way out. Boats were a major concern. Don't think they any of them knew what a dive flag was. Luckily we had a live boat, whistle and SMB. Great times though, great times! :partydance:
Speaking of that free ascent, I just dove last weekend and found a double ender clipped to my BC from that trip...who's was that?
I ended up one short, so likely it was mine.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith