Neah Bay Part 2 (June 18-23)

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
rjarnold
Submariner

Re: Neah Bay Part 2 (June 18-23)

Post by rjarnold »

pensacoladiver wrote:
About the only thing better is Yellow Fin Tuna... IMO

Just found out I will be working out of the district in Ft Lauderdale, instead of potentially getting shipped to another area in Florida, which means we can actually start looking for a house!
That's awesome - and I'll have to try that fish!
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

pensacoladiver wrote:
rjarnold wrote:I'll have to find some way to work this as Greg's parents will be flying in on that following Monday (the 21st), but I already have off that week since they're here... Maybe I can do the entire trip ;)

I'll be taking you up on the guest room in Florida Chad, if not just for the wahoo - that's one awesome tasting fish!
About the only thing better is Yellow Fin Tuna... IMO

Just found out I will be working out of the district in Ft Lauderdale, instead of potentially getting shipped to another area in Florida, which means we can actually start looking for a house!
Sushi baby! Love yellow fin! There are some great utube videos of yellow fin hunting ...... Man that looks like fun!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Jaksonbrown wrote: About the only thing better is Yellow Fin Tuna... IMO

Sushi baby! Love yellow fin! There are some great utube videos of yellow fin hunting ...... Man that looks like fun![/quote]

If spearing them is as fun as catching hook and line, then it will be a challenge to stay the least. I caught a 155 pounder out the mouth of the Mississippi on the salt lumps a few years back. Fought it for just over an hour, finally got it in the boat, then laid on the deck and took a nap for about 30 minutes.

On another note, just ordered a reel for my gun last night. That and the new spear should be here early next week.
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

You're going after king cod again aren't you? Trying to get your spear back...
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

WASP7000 wrote:You're going after king cod again aren't you? Trying to get your spear back...
I will go after what presents itself in front of me. If it happens to be a Ling big enough to allow me to take $100 each from both Jakson and Maverick, well... that's just icing on the cake. :partydance:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

WASP7000 wrote:You're going after king cod again aren't you? Trying to get your spear back...
Love your new Avatar by the way.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

These guys are funny...

*I* am going to win.

Btw - shot a greenling last night due to all the "they taste like crap" vs "I think they're great".

Conclusion: Very soft flesh, but immediately reminded me of panfish in Wisconsin (Greg said the same). Not fishy, but I don't like really soft flesh. Greg would eat them though.
Lophiiformes rock.

WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

rjarnold wrote:These guys are funny...

*I* am going to win.

Btw - shot a greenling last night due to all the "they taste like crap" vs "I think they're great".

Conclusion: Very soft flesh, but immediately reminded me of panfish in Wisconsin (Greg said the same). Not fishy, but I don't like really soft flesh. Greg would eat them though.
That's exactly what my guess would have been on greenling being soft. I'm not too fond of that texture. Dogfish are the same way. They don't tast bad at all, but they are just too soft for me.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

That's why I stopped shooting them and also perch. They end up tasting like fish oatmeal.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

pensacoladiver wrote:That's why I stopped shooting them and also perch. They end up tasting like fish oatmeal.
I almost took out a perch last night... haven't tried them either.
Lophiiformes rock.

pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

rjarnold wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:That's why I stopped shooting them and also perch. They end up tasting like fish oatmeal.
To me, they are the same as a Greenling... mushy as hell.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

pensacoladiver wrote:
rjarnold wrote:
To me, they are the same as a Greenling... mushy as hell.
All perches? Why do so many people go after surf perch?
Lophiiformes rock.

Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

I shot a big ol greenling last night also... I thought the flesh looked alot like ling....Havent tried them yet....I was kinda hoping they tasted good as they are open all year....

Chad... I want that $100 bill your gonna owe me autographed. That way I can pin it up with the photograph of me holding the winning fish.... :neener:

P.S. Matt and I are now 6 for 6....Six days hunting 6 days limiting out.... Matt has hit a 25lber and my biggest was 18lbs..... We both shot 12lbers last night.. :burntchef: . and that pecker Matt has also got a cabby every day... No need for him to take that Wreck penetration class this fall.....he has got it down pat.... :taco:
Last edited by Jaksonbrown on Thu May 27, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Yeah I fish for surf perch whenever I go to the coast, they are good eating in my opinion. Not mushy, maybe because they work more cruising through the surf?. Not sure about others like shiner, striped, or pile perch (one of those may be another name for surf perch, I don't know)
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I love the perch that are larger, with the blue lines, i think striped perch. they are not mushy in my opinion. Greenling are only good deep fried, that make them less mushy.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Jaksonbrown wrote: Chad... I want that $100 bill your gonna owe me autographed. That way I can pin it up with the photograph of me holding the winning fish.... :neener:
If you are going to pin my $100.00 on the wall, can I write you a check instead? :partydance:
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Jaksonbrown wrote:I shot a big ol greenling last night also... I thought the flesh looked alot like ling....Havent tried them yet....I was kinda hoping they tasted good as they are open all year....

Chad... I want that $100 bill your gonna owe me autographed. That way I can pin it up with the photograph of me holding the winning fish.... :neener:

P.S. Matt and I are now 6 for 6....Six days hunting 6 days limiting out.... Matt has hit a 25lber and my biggest was 18lbs..... We both shot 12lbers last night.. :burntchef: . and that pecker Matt has also got a cabby every day... No need for him to take that Wreck penetration class this fall.....he has got it down pat.... :taco:
Maybe I am missing something here. If you are talking about Ling, how do you hit a 25 pounder AND have it fit into the slot limit of 26-36 inches?

Or have you been sneaking out to Area 4 and hunting after work every night?
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Jaksonbrown wrote:I shot a big ol greenling last night also... I thought the flesh looked alot like ling....
Kelp greenlings are somewhat closely related to lingcod. Lingcod aren't cod, but in the family Hexagrammidae (Greenlings), so it's not surprising that the meat looks similar, but is surprising to me that the texture is quite different.
Lophiiformes rock.

Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

pensacoladiver wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:I shot a big ol greenling last night also... I thought the flesh looked alot like ling....Havent tried them yet....I was kinda hoping they tasted good as they are open all year....

Maybe I am missing something here. If you are talking about Ling, how do you hit a 25 pounder AND have it fit into the slot limit of 26-36 inches?

It was actually 23.5 lbs and exactly 36 inches. And by exactly I mean right on the money. It was actually a great example of getting lucky. I thought I had more than an inch to spare when I "measured" it underwater. I have actually noticed that with lingcod the length doesn't neccesarily correlate to to the weight. Within a given lenght there can be quite a variance in "fatness"

Does your phone get pictures?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:

It was actually 23.5 lbs and exactly 36 inches. And by exactly I mean right on the money. It was actually a great example of getting lucky. I thought I had more than an inch to spare when I "measured" it underwater. I have actually noticed that with lingcod the length doesn't neccesarily correlate to to the weight. Within a given lenght there can be quite a variance in "fatness"

And it is amazing what the darn things eat. I have had several "lose" 4-5lbs as WHOLE fish fall out of their stomachs when cleaning them. Remember that crab that that big one in Neah Bay ate?? Those lings dont even chew em up, just swallow em hole!
Old Nubbins
Aquaphile

Post by Old Nubbins »

Sooo.... what would happen if you spear a legal ling and as a warden is checking it out, a yelloweye falls out?

Can he say you stuffed it in there? :smt064
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

They fine the Ling...
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

True stories here, with NO exaggeration....

Years ago I went spearfishing South of the "then" Edmonds oil pier. I saw a really large Cabezon and popped him. While I was putting him on my ring, a second Cabbie, just as large, went scuttling by and I popped him, too! One of the quickest fish-n-chips dinners I ever took! (Cabbie's make better F&C than Ling does, BTW...firmer meat!).

Anyway, when I got back up on the boat we started looking at them closely and found that both had HUGELY expanded stomachs that felt like they were completely full of rocks. We were extremely interested and when we cleaned them after we got home we found that one was completely filled with ONLY baby Dungeness Crabs, and the other was completely filled with ONLY baby Red Rock Crabs! Clearly, they were sharing their territory, and had decided what they preferred to eat within that territory....

Another time I popped a nice Lingcod at Boeing Creek Reef, south of Edmonds. His belly was also extended, and since the reef was covered with juvenile Rockfish we figured that he had been dining on them.....WRONG! When we opened him up he had a Chinook Salmon in him, around 18 inches long! The Chinook was doubled over to fit inside the Ling's belly and almost appeared to be slightly cooked from the digestive juices. You could still easily tell the species, though.

It's amazing what you can find when you cut open a full fish....

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

John Rawlings wrote:True stories here, with NO exaggeration....

Years ago I went spearfishing South of the "then" Edmonds oil pier. I saw a really large Cabezon and popped him. While I was putting him on my ring, a second Cabbie, just as large, went scuttling by and I popped him, too! One of the quickest fish-n-chips dinners I ever took! (Cabbie's make better F&C than Ling does, BTW...firmer meat!).

Anyway, when I got back up on the boat we started looking at them closely and found that both had HUGELY expanded stomachs that felt like they were completely full of rocks. We were extremely interested and when we cleaned them after we got home we found that one was completely filled with ONLY baby Dungeness Crabs, and the other was completely filled with ONLY baby Red Rock Crabs! Clearly, they were sharing their territory, and had decided what they preferred to eat within that territory....

Another time I popped a nice Lingcod at Boeing Creek Reef, south of Edmonds. His belly was also extended, and since the reef was covered with juvenile Rockfish we figured that he had been dining on them.....WRONG! When we opened him up he had a Chinook Salmon in him, around 18 inches long! The Chinook was doubled over to fit inside the Ling's belly and almost appeared to be slightly cooked from the digestive juices. You could still easily tell the species, though.

It's amazing what you can find when you cut open a full fish....

- John
I found a big ole fish in the stomach of the cabezon Chad shot on Sunday - I'm pretty sure it was a rockfish. Darn things will eat *anything*.
Lophiiformes rock.

pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:

My phone gets pictures, but no reception at work. Lemme see, lemme see, lemme see.