DATC - who's going!?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

DATC - who's going!?

Post by Sounder »

I'm thinking I'll be heading down to the 'Dond for the graveyard shift Friday night. I know a bunch of people have registered, and last year I believe NWDC took the award for fund raising or participation or something. We need to own this thing again - we're the defending champs!!

So who's going, who wants to go, and who hasn't a clue about DATC but wants to find out more about it?!

http://www.divearoundtheclock.com/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Re: DATC - who's going!?

Post by Zen Diver »

I'll be there! Wylerbear and I will be doing night dives again :joshsmith: and we'll be around for the duration.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Everyone should try to attend but those of you who can't, can still help by sponsoring one of us who will be diving. You can sponsor me or Zen Diver by going to our facebook profile pages-we both have links to our fundraising pages there.
It is such a great cause. And it's always a lot of fun! Especially as it gets later and later. Speaking of which, who's bringing us our lattes this year? Doug? John? Who wants to volunteer? :) :)
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

WylerBear wrote:Everyone should try to attend but those of you who can't, can still help by sponsoring one of us who will be diving. You can sponsor me or Zen Diver by going to our facebook profile pages-we both have links to our fundraising pages there.
It is such a great cause. And it's always a lot of fun! Especially as it gets later and later. Speaking of which, who's bringing us our lattes this year? Doug? John? Who wants to volunteer? :) :)
Oh honey, I'm pulling the night-shift this year. I brought them the last two years, but if necessary, I can drop a cone on my parking spot and make a 'Bucks-run Saturday morning.

DATC people!! It rocks!! Oh, and you dive too.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

So, I've never been involved with this, and I went to the website and I'm still not clear on what's up. You have divers sign up for time slots, and try to keep people in the water for 24 hours? And the money is just donated by friends?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Registration is $25, then participants enter the water every 30 minutes - the idea is to have someone underwater for 24 hours. While you're under you just explore Redondo with your buddy however you please. Then you meet fun people and BS about diving between "shifts...or sleep. No need to stay the whole time but staying a while is quite fun. Once you're registered, participants can collect "sponsorship" donations from family and friends, and the money goes to a great cause.

There is also a small competition between dive clubs...and NWDC won it last year. ;-)

Generally, it's just a great excuse to stay up way too late, dive Redondo at night several times when the site is full of life, meet and socialize, and just have a fun time for a good cause.

Val/Georgia, did I miss anything?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

That sums it up nicely.

We also can use coverage at the First Aid station when Georgia & I are inthe water :joshsmith:
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

http://www.divearoundtheclock.com/DATCM ... letter.pdf

At the bottom of this newsletter, it shows NWDC for the 2009 "plaque".

SWEET!
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Zen Diver wrote:
We also can use coverage at the First Aid station when Georgia & I are inthe water :joshsmith:
That would be a good thing. It seems like most of the "injuries" (so far we only had a few very minor mishaps and hope that record holds) happen while Valerie and I are diving.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

WylerBear wrote:
Zen Diver wrote:
That would be a good thing. It seems like most of the "injuries" (so far we only had a few very minor mishaps and hope that record holds) happen while Valerie and I are diving.
I can probably help with this during the night-time. I'll see what my schedule actually looks like for the night (i.e. whether I can stay the whole night or not) and will be in touch. If I'm there, I'd be glad to cover while you ladies dive.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

That would be great, thanks Doug!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I'm so bummed I can't do it this year. I was still a fairly new diver last year and stopped by just to check it out. Seemed like a VERY fun time, and I was looking forward to participating this year. However, it turns out that my 20th HS reunion is the exact same weekend in Idaho. And I stupidly volunteered to help at it before I knew about the conflict. Frankly, I'd rather be diving.

Don't worry, I'll be sponsoring all of my friends. You may only get $10 from me, but with as many people as I know who want to dive it . . . sheesh. ;)
Kelly
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

ktb wrote:I'm so bummed I can't do it this year. I was still a fairly new diver last year and stopped by just to check it out. Seemed like a VERY fun time, and I was looking forward to participating this year. However, it turns out that my 20th HS reunion is the exact same weekend in Idaho. And I stupidly volunteered to help at it before I knew about the conflict. Frankly, I'd rather be diving.

Don't worry, I'll be sponsoring all of my friends. You may only get $10 from me, but with as many people as I know who want to dive it . . . sheesh. ;)
I think I'm worth more than $10 :tappingfoot:

Oh, yeah, so are the kids :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Geek wrote:
ktb wrote:I'm so bummed I can't do it this year. I was still a fairly new diver last year and stopped by just to check it out. Seemed like a VERY fun time, and I was looking forward to participating this year. However, it turns out that my 20th HS reunion is the exact same weekend in Idaho. And I stupidly volunteered to help at it before I knew about the conflict. Frankly, I'd rather be diving.

I think I'm worth more than $10 :tappingfoot:

Oh, yeah, so are the kids :angelblue:
Dude, do you know how many friends I have diving it?!? And where is your "sponsor me" page?
Kelly
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Lol, she has a lot of friends!

Spatman and I have signed up for the wee hour dives. They were a blast last year and I'm looking forward to more excellent dives in excellent company this year.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Penopolypants wrote:I'm looking forward to more excellent dives in excellent company this year.
Wait....I thought you said you were diving with spatman? :smt064
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

John Rawlings wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:I'm looking forward to more excellent dives in excellent company this year.

:rofl: I guess I'm slumming a bit after all!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Penopolypants wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:

:rofl: I guess I'm slumming a bit after all!
more than you realize, P.
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

Can anyone sign up?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Berritt wrote:Can anyone sign up?
Any certfied diver can sign up. Are you thinking about going? It's loads of fun!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I'm in! :angelblue: I'm not really sure how this stuff works, so I guess I'll just throw down some times, and put in for an insta-buddy :supz: