Monterey Ca? Vancouver Island? Neah Bay?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
oregondiver
Submariner

Monterey Ca? Vancouver Island? Neah Bay?

Post by oregondiver »

Trying to plan a 40th birthday for my husband....in less than 14 days.
If we white water kayak we will head to Idaho or Northern California.....BUT..he has shown an interest in diving as well.
I can dither with the best of them. Only one allows adult beverages at 9am though! :partyman:

Should we drive to Monterey (11 hour travel time)?...I have dove here, he has not. Conditions were bad when we came through 2 months ago.

Should we drive to Anacortes / Neah Bay for diving (6 hour travel time?)? I have not dove here, but I want to go! (oh wait, it is about HIS birthday, not about my wants)

Should we drive to Vancouver Island BC for diving (8 hour travel time?)? I have only dove the wreck North of Vancouver city itself (and it was COOL!).

Thoughts on each of these locations? Money is a concern (damm new drysuit!)....so having some shore dives available is good vs multiple boat dives for the two of us..YIKES!

Thanks in advance!
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Monterey Ca? Vancouver Island? Neah Bay?

Post by LCF »

Well, we just did Memorial Day weekend in Monterey -- check out my trip report. I think Monterey has some unbelievable diving, but it also has beautiful scenery, wineries, good restaurants, and very reasonably priced (albeit modest) accommodations which are diver-friendly. PM me if you want some tips!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Old Nubbins
Aquaphile

Post by Old Nubbins »

Go whitewater rafting (err.. kayaking) in Nor Cal then head over to Mendocino/Ft. Bragg area for some diving.

Just came back from there a few weeks ago and had a blast.
April
Dive-aholic

Post by April »

Ft. Bragg area is awesome! Is it abalone season? you can go free diving for abs and bring us some back!!
April
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

If you're considering Neah Bay I'd recommend doing it when you have access to a boat. There is some limited shore diving, but to unlock the beauty of the place you're really gonna need a (live) boat.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith