Seattle Aquarium volunteer diver *NHZ* -- forms due 3/21

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Seattle Aquarium volunteer diver *NHZ* -- forms due 3/21

Post by ktb »

So I'm flirting with the idea of applying to be a volunteer diver at the Seattle Aquarium. I can't imagine a more awesome volunteer job out there for someone who wants to share the underwater world with others--especially kids! However, I have some questions, and I know there are other NWDC'ers out there who already do this so I'm asking for your help/advice/wisdom/likes/dislikes/suggestions/feedback.

First of all, if you do it, what do you love or hate about it? If you used to do but don't anymore, why?

If I make it to the check-out dive, what should I expect? I found it interesting that Pt. Defiance wants you to be Rescue certified but Seattle only requires your basic OW cert. I've got my AOW and took Essentials from FKD, so I've got the skills they listed on the website*, but bdub hated it when I would go vertical instead of staying trim while ascending.

How long are you in the water during your 4-hour shift? Does an 8 am to 12 noon shift mean you arrive at 8 am and leave at 12 noon or does it mean you spend 4 hours in the water? I'm asking for 2 reasons: I get COLD after an hour in the Sound and I may try to ask my boss if I can do this on Mondays.

Since you have to commit for a year, what happens if you take a vacation? Can you trade shifts?

For the April 3, 2011 orientation, diver experience forms are due no later than March 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm. So thanks for any and all help/advice/wisdom/likes/dislikes/suggestions/feedback.

*Skill Requirements for Seattle Aquarium Check-Out Dive: Pre-dive safety check with buddy, Snorkel swim, BC removal and replacement, Weight belt removal and replacement, Tired swimmers carry, Regulator clearing and recovery, Mask removal and replacement, Air-sharing (stationary and ascending) using an alternate air source
Kelly
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Re: Seattle Aquarium volunteer diver *NHZ* -- forms due 3/21

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Is the bc and weight removal done below or above the surface?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Highliner
Avid Diver

Post by Highliner »

Wayne,

Finally my opportunity to pay you back for all the help you have given me. Give me a call. I can fill you in. I have been diving the Seattle Aquarium for going on 4 years and interestingly enough may be looking for a new dive partner on alternating Monday mornings. Car pool would be awesome. Jeff Christiansen, the dive safety officer and all around aquarium guru will be speaking at tonights Kelp Krawlers meeting in Tumwater Valley.
Last edited by Highliner on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ktb wrote:So I'm flirting with the idea of applying to be a volunteer diver at the Seattle Aquarium. I can't imagine a more awesome volunteer job out there for someone who wants to share the underwater world with others--especially kids! However, I have some questions, and I know there are other NWDC'ers out there who already do this so I'm asking for your help/advice/wisdom/likes/dislikes/suggestions/feedback.

First of all, if you do it, what do you love or hate about it? If you used to do but don't anymore, why?
used to for 4 yrs, got sick of the driving commute and paying for parking to volunteer

If I make it to the check-out dive, what should I expect? I found it interesting that Pt. Defiance wants you to be Rescue certified but Seattle only requires your basic OW cert. I've got my AOW and took Essentials from FKD, so I've got the skills they listed on the website*, but bdub hated it when I would go vertical instead of staying trim while ascending.
Its really very very basic. Imagine the skills you'd demo in a $99 OW class. Being in control in the exhibit is important but this is not really tested in the checkout dive. "In control" = not kicking up the floor, the walls, or getting the surface supplied air/comm lines tangled in the kelp or other exhibit equipment

How long are you in the water during your 4-hour shift? Little over an hourDoes an 8 am to 12 noon shift mean you arrive at 8 am and leave at 12 noon or does it mean you spend 4 hours in the water? I'm asking for 2 reasons: I get COLD after an hour in the Sound and I may try to ask my boss if I can do this on Mondays.

Since you have to commit for a year, what happens if you take a vacation? YesCan you trade shifts? Yes

For the April 3, 2011 orientation, diver experience forms are due no later than March 21, 2011 at 5:00 pm. So thanks for any and all help/advice/wisdom/likes/dislikes/suggestions/feedback.

*Skill Requirements for Seattle Aquarium Check-Out Dive: Pre-dive safety check with buddy, Snorkel swim, BC removal and replacement on surface, Weight belt removal and replacementon surface, Tired swimmers carry, Regulator clearing and recovery, Mask removal and replacement, Air-sharing (stationary and ascending) using an alternate air source
its fun I do recommend the experience
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

ktb wrote:So I'm flirting with the idea of applying to be a volunteer diver at the Seattle Aquarium. I can't imagine a more awesome volunteer job out there for someone who wants to share the underwater world with others--especially kids! However, I have some questions, and I know there are other NWDC'ers out there who already do this so I'm asking for your help/advice/wisdom/likes/dislikes/suggestions/feedback.

First of all, if you do it, what do you love or hate about it? If you used to do but don't anymore, why? Hate is a strong word lets just say that I am not crazy about getting up early Sunday to go fulfill my volunteer shift because sometimes I want to sleep in. What I do love is that I do have a Sunday morning shift so I do not have to deal with traffic or parking issues. I love the fact that I have the privilege of doing the best 20 foot dive in Washington. Lots of fish to interact with and the smile on a childs face when you wave at them from inside the dome is priceless. I also treasure the friendships that I have made at the SA. Where else can you learn so much about what we love to do (DIVE)

I have to agree with the Captain if you have situational awareness and good bouyancy control then you should no issues. What a lot of people don't realize is that the "decorations" in the exhibits are actually quite fragile so you have to be careful and not bump into them.
How long are you in the water during your 4-hour shift? I would say about 1 - 1.5 hours sometime less depending on your shift.
Does an 8 am to 12 noon shift mean you arrive at 8 am and leave at 12 noon or does it mean you spend 4 hours in the water? I'm asking for 2 reasons: I get COLD after an hour in the Sound and I may try to ask my boss if I can do this on Mondays.We arrive around 8 and leave anywhere from 12 - 2 but only because we (my dive buddy and I have been volunteering at the SA for 15 years) so we like to visit with our friends.

Since you have to commit for a year, what happens if you take a vacation? You can ask for a sub they have a group on yahoo expressly for this reason Can you trade shifts? Yes after a certain time I believe

*Skill Requirements for Seattle Aquarium Check-Out Dive: Pre-dive safety check with buddy, Snorkel swim, BC removal and replacement, Weight belt removal and replacement, Tired swimmers carry, Regulator clearing and recovery, Mask removal and replacement, Air-sharing (stationary and ascending) using an alternate air source
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

The other folks have covered some of the 'entry bases' pretty well.

Assuming you get though the screening (you should have no problems with Essential level skills) there are a couple things to think about.

Morning or afternoon (late morning)?
Weekday or weekend?

The early morning cleaning folks have to be there gawdawful early in the AM. Our job is kind of boring. We then get to go to break with the STAFF and socialize and ask questions. It's pleasant and relaxed. The Aquarium is quiet. Traffic is much better and parking (outside the parking $ issue-yes, we pay part of our own parking) is a non-issue.

The afternoon staff are generally feeders. They put on a show. They interact with the audience and the fish. Their job is more fun. By that time of the day the biologists are generally quite busy as is everyone else that works there. You come in, you do your show, and you have brief and task directed interactions with the staff. Socialization and extended/relaxed opportunities to talk to staff are way less available. FWIW my buddy bailed to a feeding position and recently came back just because of that, and she comes over via ferry from Kitsap.

Traffic sucks and parking for late afternoon shifts can be a hassle. Just like diving, traffic and parking are major issues. You are right below Pike Place Market after all. Summer is way worse than winter.

WOW (Windows on Washington - the BIG new exhibit). Not an option for new divers. You need to prove yourself and apply for that position after showing your skills in other dive slots. This is their high visibility slot and they want good dive and interaction skills.

Weekdays are easier to get than weekends - I think that is obvious.
Early morning cleaning positions are mostly more open than afternoon positions.
You can apply for any time slot but you will be place where there is an opening. You are not competing with established divers, you are getting what is available, pretty much like any new position in an organization.

I was curious and signed up well over 3 years ago not certain I'd get much past the 6 month requirement (they've upped the requirement).

FWIW there is active talk about making at least Rescue a future requirement. This has nothing to do with dive competency I'm sure. It's all about large public organization safety standards and appearances. They really don't want any divers to suffer harm in the Aquarium but they are realistic about what that entails.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Highliner wrote:Wayne,

Finally my opportunity to pay you back for all the help you have given me. Give me a call. I can fill you in. I have been diving the Seattle Aquarium for going on 4 years and interestingly enough may be looking for a new dive partner on alternating Monday mornings. Car pool would be awesome. Jeff Christiansen, the dive safety officer and all around aquarium guru will be speaking at tonights Kelp Krawlers meeting in Tumwater Valley.
LOL.... Thank you so much for the sentiment and the intel. I had no idea about Jeff doing the KK meeting, I think I'm gonna change my plans for the evening.
I really wasn't interested in adding more t an already full schedule but no I'm thinkin.... "Hmmm. Mondays???? That could work real well"
Thanks too for the call, I'm definatly gonna hit you up and pick your brain now. I'm gonna try to make it to the meeting tonight, hope you're there my friend.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Thank you everyone! This is exactly the information I needed to make up my mind. I'll keep you posted!
Kelly