Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by WylerBear »

Cove 2 today 15-20' with lots of snot in the water. Cove 3 about the same but with less snot.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 this afternoon was BEAUTIFUL! Viz was definitely at least 30, maybe better in places. Lots of large particulates in the water, but spaced out enough not to do much to the visibility. Weird midwater current, though!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

30 feet, easy at Alki Junkyard tonight. Just like tropical diving!
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

T dock this evening had a good solid 20 feet of viz below 25 feet. Lots of crab waiting for opening day!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Three Tree North was superlative around high tide Sat. night, perhaps 40' from the surface to 100fsw. About half way through our dive everybody South of Burian must have flushed their toilets simultaneously because the vis went to crap as bizarre little current swept through. As we were getting out of the water in the twilight we also observed what can only be described as a red tide.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

Cove 1 this morning at high tide was awesome, probably 40'+. We had ambient light at 175', and the surface was crystal clear from the 30' stop.
Powered by Puppies and Ice Cream.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Octopus hole today 25+ in the shallows above 16'. 16-30, about 5-10, below that 15'. Nice day in the hood.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Cove 2 today, Tuesday 6/21/11, vis approx 25'. Great day for a dive!
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Today, at cove 2, I could see the surface from 45 feet down!

We also saw a bunch of juvenile salmon and what looked like baby tubesnouts in the shallows. Awesome dive today.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Kinda cruddy in the top 20' at the T-Dock but below that it really opened up...... Probably 30' or better :taco:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Three Tree 6/22 20-25'
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Jorstad Creek 6/23, from surface to 20 fsw, 40' vis. From 20 to 35 fsw, 1-2' vis. From 35 down to 100 fsw, 40+ vis. That strange orange algae bloom is very thick, and seems to really be helping hold a definate thermocline in place, acting as an insulator or so it would seem.
Octopus hole same day, same thing but on an outgoing tide, the thick algae layer was from 35-60 fsw. On a positive note, found 7 Octos and 1 wolfie there!
The top layer of water was about 55 degrees, felt almost tropical after getting chilled at depth!
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

3-tree, 6/29/11: 3-5 ft in the shallows and then opened up to a chunky, dark 10-15 ft at depth. Boo.
Jenn
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 tonight -- a hazy, chunk ten feet or so in the shallows, but opened up nicely at depth -- below about 40 or 45 feet, it was an easy 20. Lots of kelp, and the warbonnets are back!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lologrande
Avid Diver

Post by lologrande »

Redondo around noon today a very chunky 5' down to about 75'. Saw 5 Lumpsuckers. So there was that.
The owls are not what they seem.
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Redondo last night, pretty choppy with the wind so viz was crap. 2nd dive chop had dived down considerably and viz was even worse! GPO's were there, some Red Octo's, Sturgeon Poacher and a Stubby. Tons and tons of baby crabs and Tubesnouts.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Cove 2 last night, a murky 10 feetdown to maybe 60fsw, opening up to an inky black 20 feet below that.

I did see my first, enormous school of sand lance ever though.
mkmc
Avid Diver

Post by mkmc »

Does anyone know how the vis at Hood Canal is looking atm?
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Redondo tonight.....CRAP. About 3 feet down to 60 fsw. Guy at Les Davis this morning said vis there was about 8.
Last edited by Lonestar on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Three Tree tonight wasn't very good, fist dive it was 3'-5' down to 75fsw with some current at the end of the flood. I'm still not sure why I went for a second dive but we found 10'-15' below 45fsw once the ebb had started.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sund Rock on Monday was very nice on an extremely low tide! Viz in the shallows was great, and the water temp was mid 60's 10 fsw or less - very nice after a deeper dive!. Viz went to crap from 20fsw down, then opened up to a solid 25' below 50 fsw or so.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 was really yucky down to about 20 feet, but below that, opened up nicely to about 15 to 20. Very pleasant diving at that depth.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Les Davis was a schmutzy 20' viz today at the peak of a huge ebbing tide, not bad at all for Les Davis. Typically these tides produce decent viz there because the silt of the Puyallup is pulled away from the shore.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Three Tree North was 30' once you got behind the thick layer of surface schmutz
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Redondo opened up below 30 fsw to about 15ish. Same schmutz as at Les Davis this morning.
Tim McClung