What's your favorite backup light?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: What's your favorite backup light?

Post by Dashrynn »

trevorrowe wrote:I purchased from amazon the intova light (the one without the silly magnetic switch, has a push button in the back). Right now amazon.com (where I purcahsed it from) has them on sale (I paid $50, they are now $36) http://www.amazon.com/Intova-ICOM-Compa ... d_sim_sg_6.

So far I have been very happy. Light output is similar to the piranha backup light I was replacing, maybe a bit less, but I don't mind. I haven't had the light go on by itself and drain the battery down, so I am more pleased either way.

If you want to check it out, I'll let you see/try it at the next MMM.
That's the one i have. Whats wrong with the Piranha light?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Dashrynn wrote:
trevorrowe wrote:I haven't had the light go on by itself and drain the battery down, so I am more pleased either way..
That's the one i have. Whats wrong with the Piranha light?
Of course I am just guessing....
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

Dashrynn wrote:That's the one i have. Whats wrong with the Piranha light?
I have had 3 of them, only 1 still functions. They are twist head lights. If you have them backed off just enough to be off on the surface then they turn on under pressure while diving. If you back it off enough underwater to avoid turning on by pressure then they leak.

This happened two both of my now 2 broken lights. I would untwist them underwater until they shut off at depth and then they would be flooded when I hit the surface. I also didn't like how sharp the hole machined into the back of the light was. It cut through all bu the thickest of cave line. I have to periodically remove the line and retie my bolt snaps.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

trevorrowe wrote:I also didn't like how sharp the hole machined into the back of the light was. It cut through all bu the thickest of cave line. I have to periodically remove the line and retie my bolt snaps.
keep your eye on your intova. mine has sharp edges where i thread the cave line, and i retie it periodically as well.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

The Hollis is, by far, the tightest focused beam available. It's like a modified laser, which for signaling (the most important use of a back up light) is immeasurable. I, however, run Light Monkey 9w LEDs quasi-primary lights as my back ups too. They're not cheap but put out more light than any other "back up" I've seen. They're about the same as a 10w HID so they can save a dive or give a new diver a "legit" light to use too.

I love them both.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!