Edmonds Underwater Park, I love you!!!!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Edmonds Underwater Park, I love you!!!!

Post by lundysd »

Poor little Edmonds Underwater Park.... abused by open water classes and promptly forgotten, EUP seems to be a black sheep among Seattle area dive spots. The tech guys think it's too shallow, the rec guys think it's too far of a surface swim... it just can't win.

I'm here to tell you that it can be one of the BEST sites in the Seattle area on a good day, and luckily today was a VERY good day indeed, including 20+ft of viz and not a cloud in the sky :) Our dive started with a playful harbor seal who tugged on our fins and played with us for well over 30 mins, continued with the biggest cabezon and lingcod in the Sound (several on eggs), and culminated in getting a shot I've been waiting for years to get -- a lion's mane in shallow water with a sunburst behind it.

The full photo set can be seen here:

http://www.raptureofthedeep.net/p29677116/slideshow

If you' haven't dived EUP in a while, now is the time to enjoy this site at its finest.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Edmonds Underwater Park, I love you!!!!

Post by Grateful Diver »

Those are some awesome pics, Scott ... love the seal shots, and the wide-angle stuff with the plumose really captures what Puget Sound diving is like (well, except we don't usually have that kind of visibility) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, Scott, those are BEAUTIFUL! I love the one of the seal throwing himself upward and sideways, but another real favorite is the simple one of the metridiums on the frame. My first day at Edmonds was part of my AOW class, and the last dive was a scooter dive (SeaDoo!) where I vividly remember being blown away at the upside down children's tree drawings that were the metridium anemones. You captured that magic.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Some great shots!! Yeah I host an EUP dive every Wednesday night when tides are in our favor. The surface swim is really worth it and there is an abundance of life there. It was only a couple weeks ago that a friend and I ran into a full grown GPO out in the open and hunting on Jetty Way, slipping his arms all through the cinderblocks looking for food.
My daughter is finishing up her training with Bob and I plan to take her here first!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome photos Scott!
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Sweet pictures, the jellyfish is amazing!
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Beautiful work, as always!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Very nice pics, Scott!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Thanks everyone :) it was a beautiful day out, and I was fortunate enough to have very patient dive buddies -- thanks a bunch to Mark and Jeanna for putting up with me.
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Awesome, awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Great pics, very inspirational.

I love the park, but I have only been there a few times because it seems like the tides/currents never cooperate.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

VERY nice
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

I was out there on Wed. with a buddy from Calgary to show off some of our NW diving... Great vis and not much current... He hadn't been in the water for quite some time and never up in our neck of the woods, so we took it easy and just puttered around... Saw several big cabbies and lings plus the usual assortment of wee beasties as well, needless to say he was suitably impressed... I've always liked the park and when the vis is good it's a great place for a nice long leisurely dive... Many Kudos to Bruce Higgins and all the Volunteers who've worked so hard to keep the place up so we can enjoy it and show it off to our non-local buddies... :joshsmith: :supz: :taco:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I totally agree about EUP, I love that place! I really wish I lived closer to it so I could go there more often. Everything in life is a trade-off, and the stuff to see there is easily worth the surface swim.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow...love those shots. very nice