Personal Lube?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Personal Lube?

Post by Linedog »

I struggle with my latex wrist seals a bit, talc only helps a little. I have read that a water based latex safe personal lube works wonders. Anyone ever use it or hear about or?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: Personal Lube?

Post by scottsax »

A friend of mine swears by KY. [brief detour]He told me a story about 4 guys (himself included) running into a Rite Aid way early in the morning and buying a huge tub of KY on their way to a dive site. They got some interesting looks from the employees, apparently. [/brief detour]

I use Seal Saver, which also seems to work great. It is, however, significantly more expensive than KY.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

+1 for Seal Saver or dry gloves
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I use shampoo or conditioner - the cheaper the better. A jar of Suave goes for $1.99 here and I'll loose it long before I use the whole bottle. A plus is it makes me smell better for a short time....
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

K-Y is where it's at...

and it gives you an excuse to go buy K-Y, banana's and C-cell batteries at the same time to make the checker do the dog-tilt-head thing ;)

i keep hearing perfume in baby powder and shampoo-y stuff is bad for seals, but just hearsay... All i know is that using K-Y, a set of seals seems to last me forever.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Just a reminder for the older folks or the people that got abstinence only (i.e. no) sex ed. Latex wrist seals are like other latex items one might encounter in life, they don't get along with petroleum based lubricants.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Ok, KY is looks to be the favored lube among divers. How to apply said lube is the new question
On my wrists then insert or on the seals ready for insertion?
Pop tarts and gravy,
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I see people lube the inside of the wrist seal, then slide it on
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Thanks.
Pop tarts and gravy,
PapaZ
Compulsive Diver

Post by PapaZ »

J & J Baby Powder works great too.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

PapaZ wrote:J & J Baby Powder works great too.
agreed, talc or baby powder work great on first dive and in cooler climates, but not so ideal when you are on to second dive (or your suit isn't completely dry from night before) and/or your hands are a bit sweaty from the 80 degree heat and standing around in drysuit undies :) This is where K-Y really shines, for the situation where powders just get gross and pasty. :)
----
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I'd also vote KY.

Seal Saver is silicone. Nearly impossible to get rid of once it's on something.
KY is water soluble. Easy clean-up.
Talc is actually a mild abrasive. I know it's widely used (not just in diving) for latex preservation, but still...
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I use ForPlay Gel plus. It is water based, latex safe and no perfume. A little on the inside the wrist seals when putting the suit on and some on the outside of the seal and my hand to make the seals slip off effortlessly. No stress on the seals or me! It also works awesome for the "other" use for such products. :metal:
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

ljjames wrote:K-Y is where it's at...

and it gives you an excuse to go buy K-Y, banana's and C-cell batteries at the same time to make the checker do the dog-tilt-head thing ;)

i keep hearing perfume in baby powder and shampoo-y stuff is bad for seals, but just hearsay... All i know is that using K-Y, a set of seals seems to last me forever.

Thanks for the new sig line Laura!!
Kelly
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Seems to me, as divers...Shouldn't you try to buy your c-cells from Sally by the sea shore?
Just askin'. See?
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

actually its a play on a real life story combined with my own experience from my bestest friend Rachel... (Kelly, i think you'd really really like her, she is Awesomeness!) except she was buying depends as well ;)
ktb wrote:

----
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

ljjames wrote:actually its a play on a real life story combined with my own experience from my bestest friend Rachel... (Kelly, i think you'd really really like her, she is Awesomeness!) except she was buying depends as well ;)
ktb wrote:

Oh boy--that has GOT to be a story. Please tell me the Depends was because she didn't have a She-P. No wait . . . let my imagination run wild.
Kelly
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

Linedog wrote:I struggle with my latex wrist seals a bit, talc only helps a little. I have read that a water based latex safe personal lube works wonders. Anyone ever use it or hear about or?
KY or a diluted solution of Johnson's baby shampoo both work great!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Damm and I just bought a thing of talc powder from UWS when I had a half full bottle of KY in the nightstand still I need to find a use for...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

+100 For dry gloves !! no talc....KY...shampoo or embarrassment at walgreens !! and warm fingers woot !
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Scrappy
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Scrappy »

Ok, I love it. The look on the face of the clerk must me priceless. :supz:
Any day is a great day underwater!

Shawn
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Gonna have to say taht since reading this post recently I have pulled the lube out and have been using it for the last 3 dives and I must say... I Like it, I Like it, I Like it alot! Sliding in my seals is so much smoother now, and it creates a water tight seal for sure haha...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I used to use K-Y for my neck seal. It felt like being born all over again every time I donned the suit.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Lol yep thats a great way to explain it haha :rofl:
Tangfish wrote:I used to use K-Y for my neck seal. It felt like being born all over again every time I donned the suit.
-Confucius
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Okay look at silicon seals.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.