A wing ding deal for new BP/W wannabes

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

A wing ding deal for new BP/W wannabes

Post by Dusty2 »

Scuba toys has a smokin hot deal on Hollis X37 Wings Right now $135.95 for brand new low profile 37# wings! That's a $190 bucks off of retail! And you get free shipping! Whoohoo! perfect timing since my DR rec wing just died!
:joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: A wing ding deal for new BP/W wannabes

Post by ArcticDiver »

Won't live up to the DiveRite wing though :angelblue:
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Probably but I don't have $300 bucks to spend right now and at that price if it holds up a couple of years it's worth it.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

@H20Doc.... :smt064
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Something I'm not aware of ????? :popcorn:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

If you're buying give me a PM. I've got at least two and at this point I'm pretty sure I'm not going to need more than one.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

What's "better" about a Dive Rite wing? I've owned a couple of them over the years and didn't find them to be preferable to many of the other wings I've used. What you want to look for in a wing is one that is sized appropriate to the weighting, tank configuration and exposure equipment you plan to use. Donut or horseshoe makes little difference if you've chosen the proper size. Most of the differences boil down to personal preference.

Hollis makes good quality equipment. At the advertised price, it's a screaming deal ... especially considering the wing is by far the most expensive part of any BP/W setup.

I'd get one myself if I didn't already own a half-dozen wings. My personal preference is DSS, but some of the newer companies like HOG and Hollis offer quality equipment at a pretty good price.

... Bob (Grateful DIver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

The description says it would work with either singles or doubles. Would it really fit 'appropriately' for a singles tank? Does anyone know if there'd be an issue with using an OMS steel backplate with it?

Thanks!
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

Kinda looks like the spork of wings... can't use it the eat steak (37# of lift, too little for steel doubles in these waters) and you can't use it to eat soup (too wide/sloppy for singles). It looks like a good wing for double Al80's in a wetsuit.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

fishb0y wrote:Kinda looks like the spork of wings... can't use it the eat steak (37# of lift, too little for steel doubles in these waters) and you can't use it to eat soup (too wide/sloppy for singles). It looks like a good wing for double Al80's in a wetsuit.
Yeah, after looking at the wing, I'd have to agree ... it's not really a good choice for either singles or doubles in our local conditions.

Hybrid wings work, sort of ... but because of the compromises they have to make to accomodate both singles and doubles, they don't do either well. When I had my Rec wing I was happy with it ... until I tried a wing that was designed for singles and realized how much more effort I'd been putting into my diving than I needed to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Grateful Diver wrote:
fishb0y wrote:Kinda looks like the spork of wings... can't use it the eat steak (37# of lift, too little for steel doubles in these waters) and you can't use it to eat soup (too wide/sloppy for singles). It looks like a good wing for double Al80's in a wetsuit.
Yeah, after looking at the wing, I'd have to agree ... it's not really a good choice for either singles or doubles in our local conditions.

Hybrid wings work, sort of ... but because of the compromises they have to make to accomodate both singles and doubles, they don't do either well. When I had my Rec wing I was happy with it ... until I tried a wing that was designed for singles and realized how much more effort I'd been putting into my diving than I needed to.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, think I might go for the 58lb hog wing instead. It also says that it can pose as a singles wing, but would it require bungees or anything else to use that way til I get doubles configured?
Lophiiformes rock.

fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Post by fishb0y »

The great thing about BP/Ws are that they are modular. With that being said, if you are diving doubles, then get a doubles wing. If you are diving a single tank, then buy a single tank wing. If you are diving both, then get one of each type. Trying a 'hybrid' or using the wrong type of wing is both more difficult to dive and a waste of money (because you will want to eventually correct your mistake).
Diving doubles can get expensive and have more task loading than diving a single tank. If you have difficulty buying/getting the proper equipment, then that direction may not be the best for you.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

rjarnold wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, think I might go for the 58lb hog wing instead. It also says that it can pose as a singles wing, but would it require bungees or anything else to use that way til I get doubles configured?
What size doubles were you planning on getting?
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Dang it, my last post disappeared!

Anyways, my primary reason for doubles is to take the weight off my waist, and to do shallow dives to the mukilteo oil dock, and then dive the area (this is my most common dive).

I have a singles rig right now but my husband's wing burst, so he needs a singles wing. He doesn't dive as much as I do, so I'd prefer to just get a doubles wing and use it with my single tank until I get it doubled up, which hopefully won't be long.

Mortuus - I want to try mid 85s, but likely I will go with hp100s as I have one of those now and liked the set-up I dove already.
Lophiiformes rock.

rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Oh, and I don't need to use it as a singles wing... I could just keep making my husband dive his bcd ;)
Lophiiformes rock.

Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Okay, I thought I remembered you saying it was 85s or 100s. I'm no wing expert, but 58 lbs feels like an awful lot of lift for those tanks. I use a Hollis 60 lb wing, and thats sufficient for large steel doubles (130s) and as many stage/deco bottles as you can throw on there.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Mortuus wrote:Okay, I thought I remembered you saying it was 85s or 100s. I'm no wing expert, but 58 lbs feels like an awful lot of lift for those tanks. I use a Hollis 60 lb wing, and thats sufficient for large steel doubles (130s) and as many stage/deco bottles as you can throw on there.

Hm, may have to try my friend's rig first- he uses the hog wing (58lbs) with 90s and loves it, but I'd like to be sure.
Lophiiformes rock.

Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

When I was using my old (less buoyant) undergarment, I noticed a LOT of empty space in the wing on any given dive, even with my big steel LP108s. Once I switched to a thicker undergarment (more lead), it got better. And its even more filled out with a stage. All the free space in the wing caused air to roll around a bit more than I liked, especially when dumping from my suit.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Ditto on a 58lb being too large for 100's.

I currently use a Hollis Doubles 45lb wing with pst 100's, 5lbs of lead, an Al80 Stage, and Al40 deco bottle. Which is the max I would use with the wing, but it keeps my head above water on the surface and trims beautifully at depth.

I used to use a 65lb dive rite exp wing, and it liked to taco and trap air on the smaller doubles, which made my trim, and getting the gas out on ascent an art form to say the least. I now only use that wing with large capacity 8" tanks.
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Cool, I'll look into something smaller. What was kdupreez using?
Lophiiformes rock.

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

ArcticDiver wrote:Won't live up to the DiveRite wing though :angelblue:
Glad to see my humor was appreciated :)
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

rjarnold wrote:Cool, I'll look into something smaller. What was kdupreez using?
Most likely Halcyon Evolve 40. http://halcyon.net/bc/doubles/evolve
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Rachel, I have a DSS 49 lb doubles wing you can try out. Won't work well for singles, but it works great for doubles. If you like it, I'll cut you a deal on it. I don't see myself ever diving back-mount doubles again.

That said, if your primary goal is to get the weight off your hips, a DUI Weight-n-Trim system is way cheaper than a doubles setup. You'll still have the lead around your waist, but the weight will be transferred to your shoulders ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Grateful Diver wrote:Rachel, I have a DSS 49 lb doubles wing you can try out. Won't work well for singles, but it works great for doubles. If you like it, I'll cut you a deal on it. I don't see myself ever diving back-mount doubles again.

That said, if your primary goal is to get the weight off your hips, a DUI Weight-n-Trim system is way cheaper than a doubles setup. You'll still have the lead around your waist, but the weight will be transferred to your shoulders ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Thanks Bob, I'd definitely like to give it a try. I tried a DUI harness system; it was better, but I still really liked the "feel" of the doubles.
Lophiiformes rock.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

All this talk and still no one has offered me a good deal on a used wing! There are tons of options out there if you have the funds you can get enough choices to boggle your mind but the fact is I can't afford $300+ for a new wing. I have dove the DR REC wing for so long I don't remember anything else and it is definitely a non optimized configuration for singles but I was quite satisfied with it so I'm pretty sure I can work with this hollis wing if it has enough lift.