Diving before Flying

General banter about diving and why we love it.
rjarnold
Submariner

Diving before Flying

Post by rjarnold »

I'm supposed to be diving in Okinawa and the dive shop set up the day's dives to be on June 28th. My flight leaves June 29th at 12:20p. I contacted them about the 24 hour requirement to fly (this is a conference and I assume most people going on the dive will also be leaving on the 29th). Their reply was:
"... Previously, a 24 hour preflight surface interval was commonly recommended. But, nowadays according to a doctor's research, a minimum preflight surface interval of greater than 18 hours is suggested, if you dive only one day. ..."

18 hours, is that enough for an international flight?
Lophiiformes rock.

"Anal fins are a gateway drug." - Tom Nic
selkie
Submariner

Re: Diving before Flying

Post by selkie »

"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Of course, why didn't I consult DAN? :P Thanks!
Lophiiformes rock.

Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

I don't suppose you're diving with doug bennett with reef encounters? If you are, tell him that Brandon Calkins says hi! Hopefully if you are he'll take you on the boat. That thing is awesome and he takes it out to the keramas. 100+ feet of vis and sea turtles and reef sharks. It's absolutely amazing! We even had a whale shark come up to the boat half way there once. It was pretty comical to watch everybody scurry for their mask and snorkle! Luckily I was getting ready to set the anchor so I already had a pony and a mask right there! If you can make it to the toilet bowl that's a really good dive sight too! Very deep but I always saw giant eels and all sorts of other bright fishies. Channel crevasis and Hedo point are also extremely beautiful! Try to stay away from the sea wall. It's pretty nice diving but it's about the most crowded dive sight in oki so the coral has been absolutely trampled :(
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
rjarnold
Submariner

Post by rjarnold »

Haha, I have no idea. All I got was a confirmation for "Excursion 4: 1-Day Boat Dive Kerama Islands". The conference is setting up the excursions and I couldn't go to Okinawa without diving.

Actually, the guy requesting my info signed off as "Hidetoshi Kashiwabuchi, Dive Shop Blue Field" so I'm guessing not.

I would die if I could see a whale shark <3

Wagon173 wrote:I don't suppose you're diving with doug bennett with reef encounters? If you are, tell him that Brandon Calkins says hi! Hopefully if you are he'll take you on the boat. That thing is awesome and he takes it out to the keramas. 100+ feet of vis and sea turtles and reef sharks. It's absolutely amazing! We even had a whale shark come up to the boat half way there once. It was pretty comical to watch everybody scurry for their mask and snorkle! Luckily I was getting ready to set the anchor so I already had a pony and a mask right there! If you can make it to the toilet bowl that's a really good dive sight too! Very deep but I always saw giant eels and all sorts of other bright fishies. Channel crevasis and Hedo point are also extremely beautiful! Try to stay away from the sea wall. It's pretty nice diving but it's about the most crowded dive sight in oki so the coral has been absolutely trampled :(
Lophiiformes rock.

Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

Lol okay, I see. Yea they aren't the same dive shop. I remember driving by there several times though on the way to reef encounters and seeing them doing their discover scuba at the sea wall. Solid plan though. I think as a diver I would feel obligated to shake the hell out of you for going to Oki and not blowing some bubbles! The keramas are amazing though! I'm quite jealous! But I've been to the Keramas a few dozen times so I guess it's your turn :(
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!