San Juan Island Diving

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

San Juan Island Diving

Post by H20doctor »

last saturday Echo and I headed out to birch bay to do some diving fun with seaslave... after getting the boat loaded up and out on the water , its around 30 mins to cross over the gap to get to the islands.... about half way i realized I had No fins !!!! , so we had to turn around and go back to get them .... :angry: , So now i got my fins , and we are ready to dive our first stop is Patoes Island to drift the south side of the shoreline... Here there are nice giant boulders , and cracks, large overhangs, and just about everything.. I floated my smb to show seaslave where we were the whole time as he was running the live boat for us... we saw lots of life here from nudis , to sea stars, fish, and urchins.. viz was a tasty 20 feet and pretty good.... 2nd dive was sucia island where we headed north along the shore, Here i discovered for the first time a large underwater wall ... seaslave has done this site hundreds of times but always goes south and he was unaware of the wall... so I had him mark in on the gps and we named it after me :supz:
great day of diving , and a big thank you to seaslave
phpBB [video]
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Re: San Juan Island Diving

Post by Seaslave »

Thanks Chris, it was great having you guys up. You scored a couple of super sweet dives and some ridiculously nice weather. Can't wait to have you guys up again soon! Great job on the video!

-Mathue
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

San Juan isn't exactly known for great diving when i was at the tour of San Juan Island mostly tourist there are not have an idea how much deep it is without seen the board of depth but anyways i appreciate your dive..
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Kasi, I think you have good intentions, but you're not making a lot of sense. The San Juan Islands are north of Puget Sound, and continue up into Canada, where they are called the Gulf Islands.

The islands are beautiful from the water and have a large number of popular dive sites. Most of these sites are only accessible from a boat. The underwater marine life is plentiful because it is fed by deep currents from the Pacific Ocean. It is worthwhile taking one of the charter boats to see for yourself.