Spearfishing?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Metalhead514
Getting To Know Folks

Spearfishing?

Post by Metalhead514 »

I just found out today that we can spearfish up here?! I have dozen's of Lion Fish kills under my belt from the Caribbean, so I want to see what it's like up here. I hear Lingcod is the main target... how does it taste? I understand that there is a 1/day catch limit, but what about size? From what I can find it looks like anything over 22" ? :burntchef:
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Spearfishing?

Post by Jeremy »

Lingcod often has worms in it, so I'm not the biggest fan.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Rules for this year I don't think have been released. Careful, spearfishing is hush hush in these parts, because it's not Seattle politically correct....
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lings are about all anybody fishes for locally. They are top of the food chain and relatively contaminated (PCBs and mercury) in Central Puget Sound. The season is short, last 3 weeks of May roughly. You can (and shouldn't have a problem) taking 1 per day if you know where to go. Rules for 2015 should be published soon (march ish)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Metalhead514
Getting To Know Folks

Post by Metalhead514 »

So if Lings are fairly contaminated... any other favorites to go after?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Cabbies are also speared and don't be fooled by the blueish meat it will turn white when cooked. Both are good battered and deep fried. As for worms, isn't this really the case for most bottom dwellers? Ling Cod, Halibut, Cabbies....etc?
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Its not legal to spear for rockfish in Puget sound (and many are fairly contaminated too). In Puget sound you are left with few other options, perch are ok and sole in clean areas (case and carr inlets, plus off Whidbey)

Go out west of port angeles for lings or rockfish. Those areas are your best bet for good fishing and clean fish.

Honestly you need a boat to get to good fish in clean areas. There are people here with boats who might be willing to take you.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Rooinater wrote:Rules for this year I don't think have been released. Careful, spearfishing is hush hush in these parts, because it's not Seattle politically correct....
Google Girldiver. Cindy runs spearfishing trips out of her shop in Auburn from time to time, and I know that there are plenty of folks on the board that spearfish. Most of the trips I see are out at Neah Bay, which probably makes the fish better to eat.

And yes, you may get skewered for spearfishing in these parts, but if you do it ethically and eat what you kill then man up and go for it and let the haters hate.

I personally don't spear, mainly because I'd rather take pictures and have kind of put the "great white hunter" thing behind me. But I'm certainly not opposed.

Unless you take fish from local dive sites, especially shore diving sites. :angry: Then I'm opposed and the people who do so are stupid. Kind of like shooting goats at a petting zoo, IMO. Our fish populations aren't exactly huge in the Sound and to shoot a scrawny ling at TTN is just bad form. There are boat sites that are just fine, but again the fish of the inner sound can have contamination issues.

Good luck!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman