Cavern Class

General topics about technical diving.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Cavern Class

Post by Zen Diver »

This fall I'm planning a trip to Florida for DEMA and want to do a Cavern class while there. I plan on going before DEMA, doing the class and then having some time to do post-class cavern dives.

Does anyone have an instructor or dive op to recommend? I know there are lots in the area, but if anyone had any particular recommendations, either pro or con, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks.

-Valerie
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Hi Valerie,

I don't have an instructor recommendation (all of my contacts are in Mexico), but I am really glad to hear that you are planning on taking a Cavern Course. Cavern was truly the best dive training I ever had. It improved my diving more than all my other classes combined.

Good Luck in Florida, you're going to love it!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I just emailed my friend in Florida and asked him. I'll let you know what he comes back with (he's not a technical diver, but he may know where to point you in the right direction). :book:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Thanks Calvin!

Scott; I've been wanting this class for years, I finally have the money, time and ability all at once. Wanted to start with Caverns first, to make sure I truly liked it, before commiting to Caves.

-Valerie
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Hey Valerie-

Contact Heather Armstrong, she's a a former WKPP diver and NAUI Instructor.

I'm doing Cave 1 in January in Akumal, but my long term goal is to eventually do Cave 2 with Heather.

Her website is Chick Diver
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Cool, another person to check out is Scooter Sellers underseaadventures.com
He is also NAUI-Tec and is the top dog with NAUI-Tec for cave training, originally trained by Jarod Jablonski, and I hear his reputation is strong in all Cave circles, which I guess can be hard to find.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Thanks you guys, I appreciate the references.

-Valerie
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

valerie, that sounds like fun - lucky you! when we dove the caverns on the playa in december i decided i want to go back and do a cavern/cave course there. one of these days ...

btw, have you seen the planet earth episode about caves? there is some nice footage in there!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

thelawgoddess wrote: valerie, that sounds like fun - lucky you! when we dove the caverns on the playa in december i decided i want to go back and do a cavern/cave course there. one of these days ...

btw, have you seen the planet earth episode about caves? there is some nice footage in there!
YES! It was my favorite episode of the PE series.

I did the Dos Ojos cenote a few years back and decided then the same thing. I finally have the money, timing, and buddies to do it with. I can't wait!

-Valerie
Seth T.
Amphibian

Post by Seth T. »

I'd LOVE to take a cavern speciality. Is there a single cavern dive even remotely close to us? :bounce:
Seth T.
PADI Master Diver
http://www.sethtower.com

Ratfish piss me off.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm curious about this....at first I thought "cavern diving" sounded pretty lame, sort of a "mild overhead" kinda thing. But now I realize that it's sort of an "Intro to cave diving" kinda thing. But I don't really get what you are taught in "cavern" that wouldn't apply to "Cave." I understand the difference, I think- depth restrictions, never being out of sight of daylight, and so on, but I thought this was maybe sort of a "no big deal" kind of certification-how long is a cavern class, and what do you learn in one? When a diver like Boydski says that it was "truly the best dive training I ever had, etc, etc", I sit up and take notice- what's so great about it?

My main diving goal is to see some of the deeper wrecks around here, but the idea of maybe seeing some caves someday has recently started to sound kind of cool....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

from what i understand, a cavern course just starts to teach you cave skills - i think it's sort of like taking your first OW course to teach you diving skills.
TDI CAVERN is 3 days.
TDI INTRO TO CAVE is 3 days and requires prior TDI CAVERN certification.
TDI CAVE is 5 days and requires TDI INTRO TO CAVE, DECO PROCEDURES, 150 logged dives, and 25 cave dives

or ...

if you have 350 logged dives in a variety of scenarios and conditions, you can skip those and just do the TDI FULL CAVE over 13 days
my FLICKR photo sets
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah, OK, I get it, but what do you learn in those 3 days?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

i would imagine lots and lots of line drills, sounds like a trip to ginnie josh im game for cavern.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Burntchef wrote:i would imagine lots and lots of line drills, sounds like a trip to ginnie josh im game for cavern.

We should do that.....but I'm gonna be doing it on CCR! I'm SO done with my doubles!

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Nailer99 wrote:
Burntchef wrote:i would imagine lots and lots of line drills, sounds like a trip to ginnie josh im game for cavern.

We should do that.....but I'm gonna be doing it on CCR! I'm SO done with my doubles!
snob!!! :crybaby:

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sorry, Chef! I've been carrying heavy stuff on my back for 24 years, now!

OK, I think I answered my own questions:

From THIS LINK

Although most divers will benefit from Cavern Diver training, students who meet these recommendations will not only get more from the course, they will also be the ones most likely to complete the course successfully and receive an NSS-CDS Cavern Diver Training Completion Card.

Topics: The Cavern Diver course incorporates academic learning, dry-land exercises and in-water training. Academic topics include:

Cavern Diver training: Intent and limitations
Cave conservation, landowner relations
Accident analysis and corresponding safety rules
Cavern/cave formation and terminology
Cave and cavern entrance types
General and specific hazards of the overhead environment
Equipment requirements and modification
Cavern/cave diving techniques overview
Cavern/cave dive planning procedures
Standard cavern/cave diving communications
Psychological aspects of cavern/cave diving; stress management
Problem solving and emergency procedures.

Dry-land exercises cover:

Equipment modification
Basic reel use
Guideline deployment, including tie-offs and wraps
Guideline retrieval, including team member role responsibilities
Guideline following under adverse conditions/touch-contact communication
Gas sharing while maintaining guideline contact In-water training includes repetition of all dry-land drills, plus:
Anti-silting propulsion techniques
Simulated loss-of-visibility and loss-of-breathing-gas emergencies
Multiple practice cavern dives

Sounds pretty cool, actually- like my deco procedures class on steroids! I'm starting to see where cave diving might be kind of neat. I wasn't really very interested in that particular discipline until recently, but, yeah, I can see the appeal, now. :supz:

(edit- spelling)

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I have a feeling it's pretty much like Fundies with line-laying and lights-out drills. I'll know more once we get home from doing it!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

nailer, once you set fin in a cavern, you too will succumb to the desire to return and do a cavern/cave course. they are freakin' amazing!!!
my FLICKR photo sets
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm starting to see the light.....or is it.....I'm starting to see the lack thereof! I've determined the next few evoltions of my diving education already, but I can see some caves in my future! I really would like to hear from some people who've done a cavern course, aqnd what they got out of it, though.....

thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

did you read boydski's full cave course report on his website? it's not "cavern" but it's a pretty interesting read!
my FLICKR photo sets
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I read Scott Boyd's posts way back when he first did it, very interesting read.

Georgia and I have found our instructor, purchased our study materials, gotten our requisite gear and are now just counting down until the time comes (late October). Can't wait to get going; don't know if I'll ever get to full cave but I'll start with Caverns and see.

Once we're done I'll post a full report.

-Valerie
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:I read Scott Boyd's posts way back when he first did it, very interesting read.

Georgia and I have found our instructor, purchased our study materials, gotten our requisite gear and are now just counting down until the time comes (late October). Can't wait to get going; don't know if I'll ever get to full cave but I'll start with Caverns and see.

Once we're done I'll post a full report.

-Valerie
Out of curiosity ... who'd you decide to take the class from?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Out of curiosity ... who'd you decide to take the class from?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Johnny Richards. Do you know or know of him?
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

if you want to see some very cool cave diving check out a copy of the waters journey the hidden rivers of florida. it shows jill heinerth and a few others in some amazing diving. i bought it off of diverite express . i never thought cave diving would be something i would want t oget into but after watching this video i can see the allure.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/logowear/dvds.shtml

or

http://karstproductions.com/