Cabezon attack

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Cabezon attack

Post by nwbobber »

Melissa and I dove Edmonds underwater park saturday. Our first time there and I have to thank those of you involved in making the park what it is. It's awesome! I couldn't believe the size of some of the lings we saw there! So this was dive 6 for Melissa in her new dry suit, and I think she has it nailed. She was awesome. Oh and the cabezon. We were north of the boatyard under the yellow barrel and there was this pipe triangle with a large cabezon sitting on the top. I approached to about 15' away and honestly, I hadn't even seen him when he charged right at my face! Scared the CR*P out of me! So I kind of pushed him off, but he was very determined! He came back at me about five times till I backed away from his perch, then he kind of hovered there eyeing Melissa. Well she backed away too and he returned to his perch. Cool.
Bob
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Cabezon attack

Post by Penopolypants »

Yes, the cabbies at EUP can be quite vicious. I was attacked once and ended up on my back pummeling it with my fist, screaming like a little girl before it finally backed away and I could swim away. Not his fault, of course, he was guarding eggs and he had a job to do. It's amazing how fearless they are, huh? Were there eggs or was he just playing king of the mountain?
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I swear the cabbies at Edmonds have a meanness inbred in them from being surrounded by divers for years and years. I think they teach their kids and pass it down generation to generation.

When I dive other places and see Cabezon in the wild, A) They're not nearly as large as the ones at Edmonds, and B) Their behavior is nothing like the behavior of the ones at Edmonds.

If approached, they just sit there, completely motionless - NEVER had one outside of Edmonds charge at me. But inside the park that's a completely different story - and I've been hassled many times by these guys.

So, in my experience, it's just the Edmonds UW park Cabezon that act that way.

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Just hold onto your mask and let him have his way with you... right Pez?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I had one at cove 2 try to bite me on the back of the head once. Had no idea it was even there. My buddy was on the other side of me as well, so I knew it wasn't him trying to kick me in the face...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Some creative type needs to accumulate several videos of multiple Cabezon attacks and create a Cabbie Crunch production! :rr:

Of course I think I'm laughing so hard because I'm not being the one attacked! :laughing3:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

One of my OW instructors came up from a Cove 2 dive with a nice bright red mark on his forehead where one had charged and bitten him. It's not JUST Edmonds. But, of course, Cove 2 has some things in common with Edmonds, and most of them are wearing tanks . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I didn't see any eggs, but then again he wasn't letting me get any closer. It looked like he though he was King of the mountain. Is this the right time of year for them to be on eggs?
yahmason
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by yahmason »

The EUP Cabezon have charged us as well. Typically what happens is I'm following my wife around some of the sunken stuff there. She gets them riled up, and then they charge ME, second in line. Perhaps I should lead next time..

BTW, they usually calm down by summer.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I have been hit many times at edmonds... Many. My favorite attack was Jeff and I scootering in the park and one cabbie came out of nowhere and thumped jeff in the gut.. It was fricken Funny :smt038
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

nwscubamom wrote:

I got tagged in the back of the head...twice actually...at Fox Island Bridge on one of the central pilings. I was drifting along the huge bridge support taking pictures when "Oh look, eggs!...POW...What the #@!...POW again!" ...I did get a shot of the culprit though. Beware of this guy:

nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Chevayea wrote:
nwscubamom wrote:

I got tagged in the back of the head...twice actually...at Fox Island Bridge on one of the central pilings. I was drifting along the huge bridge support taking pictures when "Oh look, eggs!...POW...What the #@!...POW again!" ...I did get a shot of the culprit though.
Wow, I stand corrected!! Sounds like some of you have been attacked outside the common dive sites as well. I don't think Fox Island bridge is that commonly visited by divers...so that's pretty interesting.

So are they actually trying to BITE you or just BUMP you? My experience is Ling bite, Cabbies bump...tell me what you've observed?

Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Anyone around here manufacture a good, stout, cabbie cage?
Chevayea
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chevayea »

Same experience. I've been bumped by cabbies, never bitten. I have been bitten by ling at a few locations (once on a brand new drysuit too!) :boxing:
seattlethought
Getting To Know Folks

Post by seattlethought »

Closest I've come to a cab-attack is one decided we were its friend... swam up to my face and looked at me - I'd swat it away a few times till it realized I wasn't actually putting any umph behind my swings and it just ignored me for a few swats... Followed us for a good 40 feet and scared the crap out of my dive buddy who was trying to punch it (and missing - those fat slobs are FAST!)... he thought we were away and I saw it sneak up on him and next thing you know it is half a foot in front of his mask - fuuuun times. :)
Behold the turtle:
He only makes progress when he sticks his neck out
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I got bitten by Cabezon three times - but only at Edmonds.y. Whidbey Lings made passes at me, but not bites (except once this January, probably a visitor from Edmonds :axe: ). Whidbey Cabezons - no bites, no attacks , even when guarding eggs.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You just have to give them a solid whack on the head back (well, since that's all they are) and they'll get the message. :naka: