Day Island Wall

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Day Island Wall

Post by Grateful Diver »

Did a nice 60-minute dive on DIW with Lynne last night. It was her first dive on the wall. We encountered several "hungry" wolfies as well as all the other usual suspects.

Also encountered Bassman and Tom Nic.

Here's a photo show from the evening's dive ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/nB5xV3Ih

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Zen Diver v1
Aquaphile

Post by Zen Diver v1 »

And me too!

Any day you see wolfies out in the open (and face to face, literally), 4 kinds of gunnels, babies of every description (gunnels, shiner perch, crabs, CO soles, Irish Lords and more) it's a good day.

Bob Lew and I headed over to Owen Beach after for a 6 gill hunting dive, but were skunked on sharks. We did manage to find 7-8 different kinds of starfish, more gunnels, two octos, sturgeon poachers and CO sole.

And, the best part of it was, after 3 dives, I was totally dry inside my dry suit!

(I've been wet/damp for months and finally found all the leaks!)

-Valerie
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

that is one scary-looking fish. probably because it looks so human. it must be such a rush to see one in person!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Such great dives! \:D/ Anytime you have a young wolfie swimming around you and between your legs :pale: its a good dive!

So nice to talk with Bob and Valerie and many others that were taking advantage of the minimal exchange and current. I actually saw a piece of kelp pointing straight up as opposed to horizontally where it usually is. Current can make this site a real challenge if you don't time it just right, and days where the exchange is so small are a real treat.

I'm starting to read Tide logs to plan my days off... :book: Hmmmm.... Is that a sign of something?

Also worked on my Pony bottle and air sharing. Hmmm... the long hose and necklace are looking better all the time!

:supz: This was dive #50! (How many does that make before I catch Grateful Diver?!? :axe: NOT gonna happen!) I'll start my Rescue class this month as well. Lovin' diving! :supz:
RSdancey
Avid Diver

Post by RSdancey »

This is a dive I am very interested in doing. Can someone walk through the process of determining when the tides are right for this location?
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Awsome dive!
Greatfull Diver has great timing for this site! Tom Nic and I did one dive a little earlier before Greatful Diver got there and had to fight a little bit of current.Second Dive? We splashed Just after GD, And Awsome!!!

"Dancing with Wolfies" is an awsome exsperience! It would probably be wise to check with an experienced diver such as greatful Diver before attempting to dive this location. :supz:
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I like using the following website for currents and tides:

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/sites_uswest.html

This dive is at the south end of the Narrows, so then search the page for:

The Narrows, S end midstream, Washington Current

I'd like to try this dive too. So, hurry back from your trip.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Here's a few pics from this dive, and one a couple of days later in the San Juan's.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/gallery/v/Dives/
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Great PhotoShow!!!! I have never dove Day Island Wall . I just put it on the top of my list of sites to dive. Thanks for the pics!!!
:prayer:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

Nice pics by Tom too,,,,pretty cool!!
:rr:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tom Nic wrote:Here's a few pics from this dive, and one a couple of days later in the San Juan's.

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/gallery/v/Dives/
RE: the Big Cone Island - What Is This picture ...

... it's a Leopard Dorid nudibranch.

We did two dives on Big Cone on Sunday ... from opposite ends. They were completely different types of dives. The first was a sloping bottom covered in scallops and California sea cucumbers (orange and white). The second dive was a sheer wall, also covered with life, but with far more sponges and encrusting hydrocorals. Both were "do it again" type dives.

I may have time to put together a photo show sometime later ... but I've got an AOW class this week so it might be much later ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks Bob! :prayer: I'll update the pic in the gallery!