Awesome Red irish

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Awesome Red irish

Post by cardiver »

Here's one I saw at Titlow...

Image[/img]

And here's one at Redondo

-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Another nice red Irish, This one from Redondo
Attachments
1697sm.JPG
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Post by divergirl07 »

Saw this one at Titlow Sunday . Wasnt sure about it then I saw the speckly eyes.. He looks like he is rusting !! It IS a lord , right??!!
Attachments
065.JPG
"Life is short.......... I want it all ...NOW!!"
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Nice camo job on that one! Yes, it's a RIL. Notice the rows of rough scales that makes a U turn around his dorsal fin? That's one of the ID clues. Your photo shows that really nicely!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

We saw this guy yesterday at Redondo near the Bug. We were checking out a cute little grunt sculpin not more than an inch long at the time, and I didn't stop to study him intensely. I could tell he was a sculpin of some kind but couldn't really figure out what until I got the pictures home. I zoomed in and exclaimed "I don't believe it! It's a juvenile Red Irish Lord!" He was only about 3-4" long, and the coloring is anything but red, but there's no mistaking the speckles in the eye and that band of scales around the dorsal fin. This shot hasn't been cropped or adjusted in any way, so it's undoubtedly necessary to click it to see the real detail.
IMGP3594.JPG
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yep, I have seen lots of juviniles at Redondo and they are seldom red. Also they change color with their background so mud bottom= mud colored Irish.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Dusty2 wrote:Yep, I have seen lots of juviniles at Redondo and they are seldom red. Also they change color with their background so mud bottom= mud colored Irish.
Then shouldn't it be called a Mud Irish Lord? Or a Whatever-Color-I-Happen-To-Be Irish Lord? :smt064 :smt064

(I just can't help myself...)
Dave

--
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Anyway, here's a couple more that we found at Redondo yesterday. This guy was good size, maybe 8", and I was fortunate to get this face-on shot, which is one of my favorites so far.
ril3.jpg
And this juvenile seems to think he's a gunnel. Either that, or one of them is slumming, I'm not sure which...
gunnel_ril.jpg
Dave

--
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

Same thing?... i thought someone gave the ID tips to decipher from brown irish lords... better chance that I'd see browns than Puget sounders i would think, and i haven't seen anything but lots of reds... then again, i'm asking the ID too :)

The camo on this one was amazing! i landed on it, which is how i found it, then it moved twice, about a foot each time and never found it again.
Attachments
IMG_2842.jpg