Fish harassing Octo's??

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Fish harassing Octo's??

Post by Dusty2 »

Don't know what was going on here but I watched these three badgering this little red for quite awhile. They didn't seem to be doing any harm just making life miserable for the little guy. Maybe they were panhandling??? :smt064
1889sm.JPG
Last edited by Dusty2 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Octo harassment

Post by Sounder »

That is interesting. What's funny is that I instantly got pissed when I read the subject. Glad it was fish doing the harassing. Often we've seen them hanging inside the dens picking up octo-scraps while the beast eats. This has been great fun watching Tom "shoo" them away to get a good shot.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've seen this behavior a couple of times at Day Island Wall. I really wonder why the rockfish harass the octos; the octos don't eat rockfish, to my knowledge . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

One of the things I thought was strange about it was this color change. I have never seen an octo do this two tone bit with the white tentacles he would move a little ways then spread out like this and flash this bright white. naturally I was low on air and couldn't stick around to do any video :crybaby:
1891sm.JPG
Huskychemist
Dive-aholic

Post by Huskychemist »

Very cool picture. I also got my hair in a tizzy over the tagline... :rr: but I decided to open the thread anyway. Glad I did.

Great colors on the octo. Very cool pictures you shared here.

Lowell
Happy Diving!

Lowell, aka Huskychemist

http://scuba.huskychemist.org
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Very nice capture, too bad about your low air, it would be nice to know what happens next .. :supz:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Re: Fish harassing Octo's??

Post by divergirl07 »

I Saw this poor little guy at Redondo Fri night.. Wondering what chomped off 2 of his arms .Not the best pictures but I have named him "stumpy"....
Attachments
033.JPG
031.JPG
"Life is short.......... I want it all ...NOW!!"
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I'm just bummed that no one told me about a Friday night dive at Redondo..... :crybaby:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

The "Stumpy" part is exactly what those two rockfish were doing.

The rockfish in the GPO dens at DIW are looking for scraps from a GPO feeding.

The rockfish around the Red Octopus are after the red octopus. We saw this at TTN - there were two of them and this rockfish shadowing them. All at once the rockfish strikes and takes a mouthful of red, but didn't appear to get much. He was definitely trying for a mouthful of octo sushi. The color is the Red trying to warn them off. Don't have time to post pics.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Why aren't you doing a night dive in Bonaire right now, Tom?
I hope you guys are having a great time down there! :supz: :fish:
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Tough times Ron. Bill is in Bonaire, we're stuck in San Juan :crybaby: :angryfire: :axe: :violent1: :violent3: Have no clue what we're going to do.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Tom Nic wrote:Tough times Ron. Bill is in Bonaire, we're stuck in San Juan :crybaby: :angryfire: :axe: :violent1: :violent3: Have no clue what we're going to do.
Tom - What's up in SJ? If there is anything I can do from here to help, let me know. I'll be watching my gmail.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:Tough times Ron. Bill is in Bonaire, we're stuck in San Juan :crybaby: :angryfire: :axe: :violent1: :violent3: Have no clue what we're going to do.
tom, that's terrible! i'm really sorry to hear that. keep us updated on developments.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I'm sorry, Tom. Hopefully things will clear up tomorrow and you'll be on your way.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sittin' in San Juan with Skype in one ear and my cell phone in the other trying to get this figured out. :-({|=

American sold us a tight connection, then the flight crew was 20 minutes late getting to the plane literally "sauntering" down the concourse from another gate :axe: Then a hydraulic light had us another 10 minutes on the tarmac, :violent1: Then, in spite of 12 people on the connecting American Eagle flight, in spite of one of them being disabled and using a guide dog, and despite the Captain radioing ahead asking them to hold the flight, American Eagle WOULD NOT hold the flight for 20 minutes?!? :violent3: :violent2:

They've "offered" to put us on standbye for TUESDAY, and have "confirmed"? us on a flight to Bonaire SATURDAY?!? (that's right, a week from now?!) :angryfire:

OK, I've run out of emoticons... :rr: Trying to keep my attitude straight and be clear, firm, and kind to employees. Does me or no one else any good if I ream some poor minimum wage schlub at a counter.

BTW, I hear San Juan is lovely this time of year... :axe: Sure hope I don't get a chance to find out.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sorry to hijack this thread, and thanks for all the best wishes and good thoughts...

American is getting us to St. Maarten's, we spend a night there, then will get into Bonaire Tuesday night.

Thankful to have that taken care of to a point... :smt051 the detour will cost the 4 of us $850. I sure will attempt to get American to reimburse that, though I don't have high hopes.

The adventure continues...

We'll be in touch

Tom & crew...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

glad you have things pretty much sorted out, tom. i hope your stay in bonaire is relaxing after all the drama so far.

do have DAN travel insurance? would it help in situations like this?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

spatman wrote:glad you have things pretty much sorted out, tom. i hope your stay in bonaire is relaxing after all the drama so far.

do have DAN travel insurance? would it help in situations like this?
I don't have travel insurance this trip, and I don't beleive it would have helped. The issue is the non-availability of flights from San Juan to Bonaire, not American Airlines willingness to put us on them.

We will seek redress from American Airlines for time, emotional suffering, airfare from St. Marten's and hotel in St. Marten's. Don't know if we will have any success. If anyone has any advice in that department it's welcome.

Had a great time today checking out the local cuisine and going to Old Town San Juan - 500 yr. old castle's are the bomb - but I'd rather be on Bonaire enjoying Gibi's buffett tonight.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Wow, Tom!

When I said you must've missed a turn in Albuquerque I didn't think that you'd really DO IT! ;)

I hope that the rest of the trip will be a delight. When you get home, remind me to tell you about one of MY delayed trips....quite unbelievable!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/