Night Diving this weekend Sep 8th, 9th

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Night Diving this weekend Sep 8th, 9th

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Anywone interest in Edmonds maybe. That's always good for a semi creepy night dive. I'm pretty flexible on the location though. Let's hear it ... night dive, night dive, night .... :supz:
neoerik
Avid Diver

Post by neoerik »

I'd be all over it - but I'm not certified for night :(
jeff98208
Aquanaut

diving

Post by jeff98208 »

i would but i only know of 2 locations for diving, i hope i can find more. they are mukilteo t dock and edmonds oil dock. later!

good day!
jeff :supz:
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

neoerik wrote:I'd be all over it - but I'm not certified for night :(
i don't think you have to be "night-certified" per se, but my personal recommendation would be to go with an instructor-type who knows the site for your first time. i think it would also help to have dived the site in the daytime.

btw, how easy is it to get the night permit for the edmonds park? i don't think i can do it this weekend (out of town) but i'd be game at some point ...
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Parking is open until 11:00 pm at Edmonds, but we could always dive somewhere else. Edmonds was just a suggestion, and I was more interested in the night dive than the location. No takers? going ... going ... g
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Sergeant Pepper wrote:Parking is open until 11:00 pm at Edmonds, but we could always dive somewhere else. Edmonds was just a suggestion, and I was more interested in the night dive than the location. No takers? going ... going ... g
i think it'd be a cool place to dive at night! my understanding is that a night diving permit is required to dive there at night, though.
my FLICKR photo sets
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I would love to host a night dive this weekend, unfortunatly I am working nights this week.. ](*,) Mukilteo is a great spot for a night dive, as is Alki.. But I do think that Edmonds requires some sort of after hours dive permit??
Who run barter town?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Permits

Post by Nwbrewer »

I would bet that if you called the edmond UWS they would be able to tell you about the permits. They supply free air to those participating in weekend maintenance dives at the park.

Jake
jeff98208
Aquanaut

diving

Post by jeff98208 »

how about the oil dock. will it be a 2 tank dive or one tank? i most likely will beable to go on the saturday night dive., it should be cool seeing a ratfish at night :wav: later!

good day!
jeff
:supz:
Last edited by jeff98208 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

I could do Mukilteo, but I would prefer not Sunday as I work early Monday. I haven't heard anything from Calvin who I'm sure could lead the expedition this weekend.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Diverdown,
I didn't read your reply close enough the first time. Are you available for a night dive on Saturday, or are you working then also?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I would like to, but my wife (dolphin_diver) is gonna be racing at Monroe.. She is gonna do 300 lap enduro race on sat... I suppose I will have to take over for a while, but she will kick me out after a few laps.. Besides she wont want me to scratch the car.. #-o
Last edited by DiverDown on Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who run barter town?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

your wife races cars??? that is so cool! i have always wanted to take one of those racing school classes - it's actually on my list of things to do in this lifetime. i hope she comes diving with us some time!
my FLICKR photo sets
jeff98208
Aquanaut

diving

Post by jeff98208 »

nice. send her my congrats on racing. if we need a permit for edmonds, then why not mukeltio? later!

good day!
jeff
:supz:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Jeff is right, Edmonds Oil Dock is amazing at night. Tons of ratfish and they start to get all aggressive, with their big eyes glowing from your lights. That is definitely my favorite local night dive site.

I probably can't do a night dive either this weekend, but I'd be happy to take any of you who haven't had much experience night diving some other time.

There is actually a night diver specialty certification. It is a very good one. I did it in the Philippines with a German instructor. By the end of the course I had to plan, brief and lead a night dive of 3 other divers at a site I'd never been to. I got us back to literally the exact egress point within 30 seconds of the planned time and at the exact depth (natural navigation marker). We did this dive with no compasses or lights.

Though I don't go to this extreme (in terms of no lights, etc.) on the average night dive, I've very comfortable navigating myself and others in the dark now.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

thelawgoddess wrote:your wife races cars??? that is so cool! i have always wanted to take one of those racing school classes - it's actually on my list of things to do in this lifetime. i hope she comes diving with us some time!
Yep, she actually raced for about 12 years in the mini stock division. Mostly VW rabbits. She pulled of a couple wins and a couple seconds in the points. But we bought a house and had a son so prioriteys changed a bit. Besides SCUBA is way cooler.. :supz:

Who run barter town?
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

that is super cool! i hope she's does well this weekend!!!

if anyone is diving sunday late afternoon or evening, i might be interested. we're headed to leavenworth for a wedding today, but will be back tomorrow afternoon. maybe after the seahawks game somewhere?
my FLICKR photo sets