LaJolla, CA

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

LaJolla, CA

Post by dieseldude »

I've got a wedding to go to April 10 in SanDiego-I can't see missing an oportunity to dive LaJolla-My pockets aren't generally deep enough for paid charters but I'm gonna have about a 6hr window of opportunity & no 2nd chance-can anyone recomend the best choice for a a guide there? I would also be interested in a hotel recomendation somewhere between the airport & LaJolla-just needs to be clean not fancy-
Thanks
Mike
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
oregondiver
Submariner

Re: LaJolla, CA

Post by oregondiver »

Hey Mike
If you have a car..I would like to recommend this place...
http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/vaca ... 21187.html

$125 a night and no cleaning fee. in city blocks it equals 1/4 block walk to the bay if you go left out of the cottage or 1 1/2 city block walk right to the ocean if you go right out of the cottage. We loved staying there, the owners were really nice (live next door). Had boogie boards, bikes, sand pails etc so you don't have to rent that stuff!! We rode the bikes to the store, but it was quite hard to carry beer AND groceries with bags over the handlebars!

It is located in Mission Beach which is about 3 miles from LaJolla.I have walked there...but it is a long walk. :) So if you had a rental car, just drive a few miles up the road and go diving. I think it is more like 5 miles to the diving areas of La Jolla (can't remember) from the beach cottage. Tons of good places to eat within 1/2 mile walk or you can just cook food inside the house (save on restaurant bills!).

I don't know charters in the area, but I will be diving there mid February and i can give you feedback on what I saw/found for charters.
Shell
Discussing the Whites Fusion: "Looks like you are wearing a startrek leotard with bunched-up undies..." -Airsix

"fins are like shoes....you can never have enough pairs." -Lizard0924
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Get in contact with Chip or Liz at SDUA, http://sduadivers.com/. Class act op and very knowledgeable staff.

They'll be able to provide suggestions for charters, shore dives, etc. You can probably talk Chip into taking you out to La Jolla as well.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

=D> Thanks for the tips-I will have a rental car & it was my intent to dive Lajolla specifically though if a charter suggested soemthing better I might take it-look forward to February feedback & I'll check out the link bdub-thank you both
Mike
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

FYI the little cottage prices have gone up-too bad, it looked cool-it's also unavailable the weekend I will be there-the search continues....