Florida Keys

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Florida Keys

Post by Marc »

Does anyone have a diver operator in the Keys that they recommend? Looking to do a tech dive and a bunch of rec dives.

Thanks,
Marc
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Florida Keys

Post by Sounder »

Call Fill Express and talk to Mark - he should be able to give you some help.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Doug know's someone at any dive shop in the world.
Last edited by Aquanautchuck on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Thanks for the lead.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Doug know someone at any dive shop in the world.
I also know that two dive shops (that don't cater to technical divers) in the Keys closed recently. I'm not sure there is a dive shop in the keys for helium fills at all... there might be, but I'm unaware of one (I try to keep up on these things). More likely a boat than a full-blown technical shop. You'll find a lot of "dive shops" selling snorkels, t-shirts, and other cheap tourist junk.

Fill Express will definitely take care of you - they're a classy operation and Mark is a wonderful and honest guy. If you called ahead, I'd bet he'd have your tank needs filled and waiting for you.

Sorry I can't be more help - if I was headed down there, Fill Express would be my first call for info and gas.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Horizon Divers out of Key Largo offer tech charters http://www.horizondivers.com./techdive.html
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

BDub wrote:Horizon Divers out of Key Largo offer tech charters http://www.horizondivers.com./techdive.html

Thanks Brian.

Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

http://www.silentworldkeylargo.com

chris brown is the owner and a gue guy.

for rec we did sea dwellers in key largo, they do a package deal with hotel. very cheap but we did go in the off season. funny thing was some of the locals were griping about 50ft vis as they put on there 5 mil full wet suits.
Last edited by Burntchef on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Don't know about tech stuff but for rec dives the place I used was at John Pennekamp state park on the north end of Key largo. They had really reasonable dive prices but at the time they only did 3000 psi fills. The shop I was using was in Florida city. There were several shops in Key Largo then but with the economy that could have changed. Further down the keys there is looe key resort they have nitrox and do dive on the Adolphus Busch wreck on Wednesdays as well as reef dives the rest of the week. For the tech stuff up on the mainland around Hollwood beach is where most of the wreck/tech dive ops are.

Most everything in the keys is expensive and this time of the year everything is full up so be prepared and plan ahead.

Hope this helps
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

I dove with Silent World in December. They seemed to have no trouble with any type diving as long as there were enough divers on board. One day they put a boat full of scooter, doubles with deco, divers out. One day we had one gue type with us who refused to dive with anybody but another gue type so they put one of their folks in the water. That day the divers ranged from a nearly new once-a-year guy to some very experienced. The newbie finished early and they stuck around for the rest to complete their profiles.

But, but, they do things a bit differently so be sure you are on the same wave length when you make your arrangements. For example, they don't carry weights on the boat. You pick them up at the shop in advance. Chris told me he had a pair of HP100s. In fact he didn't. But, one of the staff loaned me her LP95s that were pumped up to 3K. They didn't advertise a surcharge for going to the Spiegel but it was charged anyway. NO refreshments on the boat other than a water cooler that looked like it hadn't been touched in awhile. All that said, they were very responsive to diver desires on dive site and profile. If those on board wanted to go to a specific place and dive a specific profile, go for it.

Just remembered, they do have one clock watcher captain. When he says: "Be back in One Hour"; he doesn't mean 62 minutes!

The hotel I reserved through them was a funky 1950s era complete with colored lights shining up into the palms. Single rooms were SMALL. But the AC in mine was noisy so they moved me to another that was more the size of today's rooms.

Next door was the finest food in the Keys!

Next time I go I'll be diving with these folks, or Rainbow Reef.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
mtnplayva
Just Settling In

Post by mtnplayva »

I dove with Horizon Divers in November - I'm still new to all of this but I was impressed and would dive with them again if I ever go down to Key Largo. The larger boat (Cheeca View) can get a little crowded since it's the one they use for the reefs. The smaller boat (Pisces) took us out to the Spiegel. I don't usually get seasick but 6' swells did me in that day. Kept my eye on a buoy in the distance during the surface interval and was a very happy camper when it was time to get back in the water! All of the employees were friendly and willing to lend a hand but they didn't hang over you if you didn't want help.
My dives are in memory of Jennifer Coyne, RN 1982 - 2007
CaptBligh
Just Settling In

Post by CaptBligh »

I ran a dive operation in the Upper Keys for 13 years and can give you a bit of information. Please contact me via private e-mail at scubarepairexpress@gmail.com as I don't want to start any arguments with others that have made recommendations. There are quite a few variables you might want to be aware of prior to going down there and I can also point you to some good accommodations and restaurants.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

CaptBligh wrote:I ran a dive operation in the Upper Keys for 13 years and can give you a bit of information. Please contact me via private e-mail at scubarepairexpress@gmail.com as I don't want to start any arguments with others that have made recommendations. There are quite a few variables you might want to be aware of prior to going down there and I can also point you to some good accommodations and restaurants.
Don't be secretive or shy. Let us all know your thoughts. Who knows? Maybe we could all benefit, eh?

After all, as Crankshaft says: "All men are cremated equal."
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I have done a number of recreational dives with Ocean Divers in Key Largo. The ran a great operation!! I would dive with them again, but I don't think they will do anything beyond rec dives.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Thank you all for the input. Nice dives, but I do recommend diving in Key Largo vs. Key West.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOJzZa6uKJQ

anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

I had great dives with Quiescence in Key Largo. It was supposed to be a six-pack, but there were only two of us - so we got a private charter for the same price! We dove the Spiegel Grove and the Benwood, and both were fun.

My uncle has been using Quiescence for 20 years, and when a dive op in W Palm Beach heard I was heading to Largo, he recommended them, too.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I second Quiescence. I dove with them the last time I did the Keys. One of their DM's dropped a tank on my compass and shattered it. They loaned me another one and mailed me a new one when I got back.

I still chuckle over how much the non cold water divers complain about poor vis (50') and rough conditions (3-5' chop). When the boat captain asked me and my buddy if we wanted to cancel the dive we told them this was mill pond conditions and anything over 5' vis was a bonus. We dove but most stayed on board. :biggrin:
Charles
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Aquanautchuck wrote:I second Quiescence. I dove with them the last time I did the Keys. One of their DM's dropped a tank on my compass and shattered it. They loaned me another one and mailed me a new one when I got back.

I still chuckle over how much the non cold water divers complain about poor vis (50') and rough conditions (3-5' chop). When the boat captain asked me and my buddy if we wanted to cancel the dive we told them this was mill pond conditions and anything over 5' vis was a bonus. We dove but most stayed on board. :biggrin:
Yeh them fair weather divers is finicky. They probably were cursing you guys for keepin them out in that terrible weather. :huge: :angry: :angry:

I tryed to get a charter out of the Tampa area and we couldn't find any takers. The water was too cold!! 70 deg :neener: :neener:
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I tryed to get a charter out of the Tampa area and we couldn't find any takers. The water was too cold!! 70 deg :keener: :keener:[/quote]

That's so funny. I remember diving once with a Florida diver in Bonaire. She had a 3 mil full wet suit and complained it was so cold that she added a 2 mil shorty over it. All this in like 82 degree water. Amazing.
Charles