Vancouver Island - Camping & Diving Suggestions

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Vancouver Island - Camping & Diving Suggestions

Post by Tom Nic »

I have never gone diving on Vancouver Island. (Tom ducks and hides dodging several well-aimed missles thrown by friends who are performing a head slap and head shake at the same time.)

I hope to be able to do a trip this year, pick a resort / operation, and go for it.

IN THE MEANTIME, HOWEVER...

There is a good chance that I might join a group of folks who are tent and camper camping on the Island for a week or so this Summer. It would NOT be a dive trip, and I would probably be the only diver on this camping trip, but if I just "happened" to bring along dive gear and some tanks I might be able to sneak away and do a day dive or three on a few of the days while we were up there. If I can talk a dive buddy into joining me it will be a bonus, (and would mean more diving) but again, there's a pretty good chance that I might be the only diver on the trip.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Dive Ops? Camping places? I'd probably need an operation that would provide me a buddy or let me join another group (which carries it's own risks, I know). I'm already thinking of zipping over to Tahsis for a day or so. Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the feedback!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Vancouver Island - Camping & Diving Suggestions

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm chock FULL of advice....as well as several other things! However, Vancouver island is a very, very big place. Do you know where they are planning on camping?

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

The only place on the island I've ever done something like that is at Pacific Rim National Park ... up near Tofino. I believe in the summer you can even find a dive charter up that way.

The park itself is strung out along much of the southwestern shoreline of Vancouver Island. The campground we stayed at is about 15 miles south of Tofino. It was a fantastic campground right on the water. This was several years ago, so I don't recall the exact name of the campground.

It's quite a haul ... and the diving's well off the "beaten track" ... most of the diving you hear about on Van Isle is on the eastern side. But it was absolutely, spectactularly beautiful.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Hey Tom - Vancouver Island diving sounds fun! It's on my "to do" list.....

You should try and find "Cold Water Lloyd" on ScubaBoard (he posts on Bonaire Talk occasionally, too, but under a different name). He lives on Vancouver Island and could give you the scoop, I bet. If you search the BT archives, look for "dengue fever" as I believe he contracted it during his last trip to Bon (and he posted about it, if I recall correctly).

HTH,
Liz
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

What part of the Island are you going to, do you know? There are tons of camping spots, loads of provincial parks. Take a lood at the tourism BC site as well.

-Valerie
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:What part of the Island are you going to, do you know? There are tons of camping spots, loads of provincial parks. Take a lood at the tourism BC site as well.

-Valerie
Yes, that is the issue - where? Right now I don't know, and as soon as they get their plans nailed down I'll be back for more specifics. Figured I'd start trolling now!

Thanks everyone!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:What part of the Island are you going to, do you know? There are tons of camping spots, loads of provincial parks. Take a lood at the tourism BC site as well.

-Valerie
Oops, meant to say "take a LOOK" not "lood." Must have been gazing at too much SWAY from the weekend :clap:
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

I was thinking of trying abyssal lodge? Has anyone gone there? Bruce Bearfield said it was good, but?
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Earl Lowe runs Abyssal Dive Charters and the lodge. The diving there is excellent and I highly recommend his operation. There are many others on this board that will do so as well.

Pez and Penopolypants just returned from a trip up there with Abyssal and had a marvelous time!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/