Best dive destination/resort/value help!

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
deep diver
Pelagic

Re: Best dive destination/resort/value help!

Post by deep diver »

You could try Anthony's key in Roatan. One of the best dive operations I've seen. You can get your own hut out on the key over looking the water.
Boats are big and not that crowded. You can dive with the dive master or venture off by yourself. All inclusive. Little more money than Cozumel, but it nice diving too. Cozumel is great too.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Diver Dave
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Diver Dave »

While I'd agree with Roatan island off of Honduras with the prior poster, I wouldn't stay at Anthonies Key (unless you have kids along)

Roatan north shore diving isn't as good as on the south shore, better walls and house reef at Cocoview Resort. WAY too easy to get in 25-30 dives in a 1 weeks period. 4 boat dives a day, and night shore dives, 140 foot wreck right in front of the resort, and killer wall dives right there too.

www.cocoviewresort.com.
Happy Bubbles fill my mind.

Diver Dave
PADI Dive Instructor
Dove in - Fiji (3x), New Zealand (2x), Belize (2x), Cozumel (2x), Hawaii (3x), Riviera Maya Cenotes, Roatan Honduras (3x), Costa Rica, where to next...?
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Tom Nic wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:So what have you all experienced in regards to the rampant criminal activity in Bonaire? I have heard that you are almost expected to get robbed or have your possessions stolen out of your car while in Bonaire.
Has anyone had any negative experiences?
My guess is that it goes in waves. If you read the right threads on Scubaboard or Bonairetalk you can get the impression that everyone is getting ripped off all the time, but I don't think that is accurate.

Is there some crime? Yes, as anywhere else. Is it a reason to not go? Absolutely not. I've taken teams of people all around the world and I like to tell them that the most dangerous part of any trip will most likely be their ride to the airport! :driving:

I've been 4 times and never had a problem.

If you don't use common sense you'll get nailed. But that's true in Tacoma! Keep all your valuables in a safe, don't take anything in your truck to a dive site that you're not willing to loose, don't lock your vehicle doors, keep the windows rolled down, etc.

I don't think Bonaire is any worse than any other country, or any 3rd world country in particular.
What Tom and Scott said. We've done four trips to Bonaire and never had a problem. We don't plan on forgoing our annual trip there, either. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. (And don't rent the blue house on the southern end of the island.....)
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

Jaksonbrown wrote:So what have you all experienced in regards to the rampant criminal activity in Bonaire? I have heard that you are almost expected to get robbed or have your possessions stolen out of your car while in Bonaire.
Has anyone had any negative experiences?
Been there three times, been ripped off twice.

Like Tom Nic said, just don't leave anything in the car or unattended anywhere (even clothes hanging on a laundry line). They got sticky fingers...

Never felt unsafe.

g
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Been there 3 times, haven't had a problem. Use your in room safe and common sense and you'll be fine
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Best bang for your buck? Cozumel. Great diving, and airfare there is dirt cheap right now.

If you are going to Bonaire, if Delta is an option, I would do that. They don't charge for luggage for people connecting to international flights.

Cocoview in Roatan is pretty cheap too. 4 boat dives a day, and unlimited shore diving.

I don't know any tourist destination that doesn't have problems with crime. Insure your cameras and leave all other valuables at home.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Best place for me is Cozumel but will soon be Bonaire :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: