I need help with my dry gloves please

General banter about diving and why we love it.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: I need help with my dry gloves please

Post by fmerkel »

I just watched a couple youtube videos and read the pdf manual on the Kubi. Functionally they look a lot like the OS system, especially the cuff part where you turn the arm inside out to install it. On the OS that hyper-stretches the cuff and bends it sharply back and forth around a hard edge. That stretched edge starts to get worn out within a year. If you are willing to remove them after every dive you can mitigate that problem. I don't know if constantly turning your arm inside out on a routine basis is hard on that though.

Have people had them long enough to see if the cuff ring is a problem? Maybe if they are smaller (an option for these) the stress is less and is less of an issue.

One thing I really liked about the Sitech was being cuff 'friendly'. Many dryglove systems are not.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
msblazer
Just Settling In

Post by msblazer »

I've had mine since March. No issues with the cuffs. Then again, I have small hands and have the small rings. I don't know if larger rings would cause a problem. But again, they are similar in concept to the Diving Concepts system, and I have not heard of those causing cuff fatigue.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

I've got the 90mm rings, and they don't seem to be stressing the latex cuffs. I undid and re-positioned the arm rings after the first two dives, and the latex looked fine. It is mostly wrapped around the large O-ring on the cuff and not subjected to sharp corners.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Tom Nic wrote:Reading threads like these makes me SOOO happy with my dry gloves!! :)
Which set do you have Tom?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I got a pair of viking dry glove rings (retail 70-80) given to me or sold cheap (don't remember which) each ring has an inner and outer piece, inside goes on the inside of the latex seal and the outer goes over it and holds it in place. I use $6 sandblasting rubber gloves from Harbor Freight over a wool liner. The gloves pull over the rings and just stay on with the pressure of the stretch - no o rings, no bungies, no lubricating, no 'did I make sure it snapped on correctly?', no muss no fuss. You vary the insulation by the liner you wear.

I have torn one glove in 7 years.

Simple simple bullet proof and inexpensive. Works with just abt any latex seals - there are a few dry suits it won't work with.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Tom Nic wrote:I got a pair of viking dry glove rings (retail 70-80) given to me or sold cheap (don't remember which) each ring has an inner and outer piece, inside goes on the inside of the latex seal and the outer goes over it and holds it in place. I use $6 sandblasting rubber gloves from Harbor Freight over a wool liner. The gloves pull over the rings and just stay on with the pressure of the stretch - no o rings, no bungies, no lubricating, no 'did I make sure it snapped on correctly?', no muss no fuss. You vary the insulation by the liner you wear.

Simple simple bullet proof and inexpensive. Works with just abt any latex seals - there are a few dry suits it won't work with.
Like a White's probably...LOL!!!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

LowDrag wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:I got a pair of viking dry glove rings (retail 70-80) given to me or sold cheap (don't remember which) each ring has an inner and outer piece, inside goes on the inside of the latex seal and the outer goes over it and holds it in place. I use $6 sandblasting rubber gloves from Harbor Freight over a wool liner. The gloves pull over the rings and just stay on with the pressure of the stretch - no o rings, no bungies, no lubricating, no 'did I make sure it snapped on correctly?', no muss no fuss. You vary the insulation by the liner you wear.

Like a White's probably...LOL!!!
The Viking system doesn't work with Neoprene seals unless you glue them to the suit. Pretty much any suit with a latex seal will work. My system is similar to the viking classic, but it uses a smaller ring, and an o-ring to retain the glove. I've lost the o-ring at depth once and it didn't leak though.

Simple straightforward, and (almost) idiot proof.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Nwbrewer wrote:Simple straightforward, and (almost) idiot proof.
You just killed that one for me...LOL!!! :rofl:
Last edited by LowDrag on Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

I also like my simple Viking rings and so do all of my dive buddies who use them.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/