Here we go!

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yep, that's her, alright.......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Nailer99 wrote:Yep, that's her, alright.......
You can't say that I didn't warn you! I beieve that I referred to the training as "the Bridge over the River Kwai.....just cold and wet"!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dmitchell wrote:HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Look it's Mel----> :axe:

Dave- Mel asked me to remind you that she has not signed off on your CCR trimix paperwork yet, and she seems to be having trouble finding a pen, if you know what I mean! :la:

openloopdilflushboomdrillopenloopdilflushboomdrillboomdrillopenllopdrillflush......14 hour day today......boomdrill....callibrate....

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

I have the CCR Trimix card! It's the OC Trimix Instructor card I'm waiting on!

Just let her know I have plenty of copies of all the paperwork and can email her one (or 20) every day if she needs it.

Talked to Larry last night sounds like you guys are having a good class!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

Nailer
Sounds like you are having a good time with your re breather class I am glad for you and Calvin

so when do we get to see pictures of you guys with the new toys I cant believe you guys haven't posted pictures yet for us to salivate over

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

You'll see pics soon, Sparky- we're too damn busy- meeting at the dive site at 7 AM, diving all day, working on the rebreathers and having lessons all evening- done around 9 PM- I remember people with cameras taking pictures at a few points, and I'm sure I'll get to see them, but I'm falling asleep just writing this post.....I'm taking lots of notes, and I'll post a long review of the class later.

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Nailer99 wrote:You'll see pics soon, Sparky- we're too damn busy- meeting at the dive site at 7 AM, diving all day, working on the rebreathers and having lessons all evening- done around 9 PM- I remember people with cameras taking pictures at a few points, and I'm sure I'll get to see them, but I'm falling asleep just writing this post.....I'm taking lots of notes, and I'll post a long review of the class later.
Wimp. :bootyshake:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

echo wimp......geesh.....can't even share photos with fellow pirates due to fatigue? What kind of pirate are you anyway?

Oh......I get it.......THAT kind...... :partyman:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm the kind of Pirate who doesn't dress up like an elf to take people to see Santa underwater. :la:

Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Dmitchell wrote:BTW - Today was the Day! Calvin, and Nailer started their rebreather class today!

Dave
Congrats guys! i'm sure you are having a great time...

BOOM!!!

psych,
george
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

whats the boom drill i keep reading about?? does not sound fun
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Congratulations for finishing up your class today! :supz:
Who run barter town?
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

it will be good to have you guys back in the water, if you will hang out with a bunch of lowly bubble blowers
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Holy crap, I keep waking up at 5AM thinking I need to do diluent flushes. I guess I need to rehydrate myself with copious amounts of alcohol to resume my typical sleeping habits. :partyman:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Burntchef wrote:whats the boom drill i keep reading about?? does not sound fun
Not too bad, really- instructor yells "boom", meaning you're loosing gas from somewhere- you reach back as fast as you can, and shut your valves- then grab your SPGs and see which side the leak is coming from-

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Well, Class finished up yesterday......day before, actually, but Mel made me do one "post graduation, nasty hangover" dive with her.....I guess the hangover was optional, but anyway.....I'm busy writing up a thorough review of this amazing experience, and I will be posting it here, and on rebreather world, very soon. I will say that, at this point, it's hard for me to see diving open circuit ever again- maybe on a trip somewhere that didn't have any support for CCRs, but I plan on making sure I can dive mine before I travel. I absolutely love it. This class was far from easy, but it has been the most rewarding training I've ever taken. Full write up to follow very soon.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Calvin wrote:Holy crap, I keep waking up at 5AM thinking I need to do diluent flushes.

OPEN LOOP DIL FLUSH! BOOM! HYPERCANIAHYPEROXIAHYPOOXIA! OPEN LOOP DIL FLUSH BOOM!

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nailer99 wrote:I will say that, at this point, it's hard for me to see diving open circuit ever again- maybe on a trip somewhere that didn't have any support for CCRs
if you need anyone to keep your OC gear from getting too lonely, i have some room in both my basement and the back of my car...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nailer99 wrote:
Not too bad, really- instructor yells "boom", meaning you're loosing gas from somewhere- you reach back as fast as you can, and shut your valves- then grab your SPGs and see which side the leak is coming from-
Really? Why no air gun with real bubbles?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:
Really? Why no air gun with real bubbles?

Waste of gas. We CCR divers hate that.

jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

"we ccr" divers really do hate that...don't "we"?

Echoing the chef..I am glad you are out of class and back to "normal".... which is of course a relative term reference you and Calvin...will you still hang out with the bubble blowers?? Even if we scare the fishies???

jackie
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lol right.

Watching the gauge potentially plummet on a dinky 3L tank seems like a strange way to respond to a leak vs. listening/diagnosing which side the bubbles come from. And an AL80 of air would have been $4 and lasted the whole week, but hey whatever works.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:Lol right.

Watching the gauge potentially plummet on a dinky 3L tank seems like a strange way to respond to a leak vs. listening/diagnosing which side the bubbles come from. And an AL80 of air would have been $4 and lasted the whole week, but hey whatever works.

I don't get your point. The first thing you do in a boom drill is shut the valves on both tanks, stopping anything but a catastrophic burst disk/ blown main O ring leak. Then you grab your guages and look at them to see which side is leaking. Since the loop is at ambient pressure, you're still breathing off it at this point. Do you see some kind of problem with that drill? I don't.

Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

CaptnJack wrote:Lol right.

Because we're not on doubles it doesn't take 30 seconds to a minute to do a shutdown. The valves are only on about 3/4 of a turn and they are easily reached. And in the drill the "Dinky" 3L isn't actually leaking.

The procedure is you hear a leak (BOOM) you immediatly do a shutdown of both valves Then you identify which side is leaking by looking at the gauges. You can't say oh geez it's my right side it must be oxygen because lines cross from side to side.

Once you Identify the source, you in all likelyhood can stay on the loop and feather the leaky valve as you need that gas.

I've done a whole hour dive feathering the dil valve as I needed dil or drysuit inflation gas since my BOV was freeflowing.

dave
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Gues it depends on the source of the leak eh. Neck o-ring or burst disk is not the same as a HP seat reg failure.