revo rebreather

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

three canisters is better than two. :smt064
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

rEvo

Post by Curt McNamee »

Mel and I are getting rEvo's and doing our training at the end of February. Our class will have 5 rEvo's in it, so you should see us around down at Cove ll.

I will post my experience and insite on the unit after I have some time on it.

Cheers
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Scrubber is cheap...Life is not.
I'm a very conservative diver when it comes to CCR stuff. My gut reaction to mult-chambed, many tortuous pathed scrubbers is that this is (maybe) not the way to go with CO2 scrubbing. I would rather just dump the scrubber if I have any concerns or niggles about it in the back of my mind.
Now, to set the record straight: I have no practical experience with the REVO CCR. I have had many discussions with both camps about it. Time and experience with many of us "lab-rats" will tell.
I'm still waiting for my new radial scubber unit to come in for my Meg.
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

rEvo

Post by Curt McNamee »

The idea of the dual scrubber is to be able to change out the most used part of the scrubber (# 1 cannister)after 1 1/2 hrs with fresh scrubber and then us that along with the least used part (#2 cannister) for the second 1 1/2 hrs. And then you do the same thing all over again for the next cycle.

This design was never intended to extend scrubber life but to give you a much larger safety margin. You are not using any more scubber material for the entire 3 hrs, you are just replacing the most used part between each dive.

The other very neat thing about the dual scrubber design is that it helps to eliminate the chance of channeling because you are packing a much smaller scrubber can. Even if one scrubber can channeled, the chance of having both do it at the same time is very remote.

We are now up to six in our rEvo class, the design is very noticeable so watch for us the third week of Feb down at Cove ll.

After this class, there will be two agencies that will be supporting rEvo certifications- IANTD and ANDI.
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Calvin wrote:three canisters is better than two. :smt064
I know Calvin is joking, but there's a point in all this. If you've got a fixed sorb volume and if gas passes through it in series it doesn't matter if you have it in one chamber or divided into 12 chambers. That's just plumbing. It doesn't change the fact that a fixed volume of sorb has been exposed to a fixed volume of your damp halitosis. If re-using the "good half" from a single chamber is bad, how can re-using the "good half" from two chambers be any different?

Disclaimer: I don't know squat about rebreathers, but I find them facinating none the less.
-Ben