No Mask?

General topics about technical diving.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: No Mask?

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote: Like getting blown off Waterman's into a downwelling, not exactly "come to Jesus" since we at least had scooters, but getting there.
Funny, that was pretty much the moment I had in mind. 150 feet, scootering to end of the wall, realizing it, turning, hitting trigger to get back to wall . . . and barely moving. I can definitely say I went to my zen-like happy place, and also started kicking . . .

It was also good to know if the fit really hit the shan we could do an ascent, deal with the ferry traffic and end back up at 0 fsw.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote:
CaptnJack wrote: Like getting blown off Waterman's into a downwelling, not exactly "come to Jesus" since we at least had scooters, but getting there.
Funny, that was pretty much the moment I had in mind. 150 feet, scootering to end of the wall, realizing it, turning, hitting trigger to get back to wall . . . and barely moving. I can definitely say I went to my zen-like happy place, and also started kicking . . .

It was also good to know if the fit really hit the shan we could do an ascent, deal with the ferry traffic and end back up at 0 fsw.
"Barely" is an understatement. Even though it was actually relaxing by the wall, not so much off to the NE on that slopey gravel with the downdraft. Ooops. I am fairly confident a free ascent there would have been rough. Having to inflate enough to overcome the downwelling and then once breaking free being too positive. Not something we could even practice tho.

I only wanna get back to 0ft unbent and unembolized please.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

CaptnJack wrote:I only wanna get back to 0ft unbent and unembolized please.
Cherry picker
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BDub wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:I only wanna get back to 0ft unbent and unembolized please.
Cherry picker
:blah: :banplz:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote: Not something we could even practice tho.

I only wanna get back to 0ft unbent and unembolized please.
Yeah, barely probably was an understatement.

Details on unbent and unembolized--you are such a demanding dive buddy.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:That, and were just not at your level yet.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "your level."

he meant doing the dives, not just talking about it :lurk:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Maverick wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
Pez7378 wrote:That, and were just not at your level yet.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "your level."

he meant doing the dives, not just talking about it :lurk:
:rofl:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote:Details on unbent and unembolized--you are such a demanding dive buddy.
If I am a goner, let me go with the fishes. Tie me off, come back later, and pick up the residue.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

No way dude, we need to be able to divy up your gear. :pirate:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:No way dude, we need to be able to divy up your gear. :pirate:
Nah its all her's
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nah its all her's
"Uh, sorry - don't know quite what happened. The boat just suddenly disappeared."
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Nah its all her's
"Uh, sorry - don't know quite what happened. The boat just suddenly disappeared."
Uhuh don't you go messing with her Water Dog.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Uhuh don't you go messing with her Water Dog.
:seesaw:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Lots of food for thought in this thread. And you guys are lucky I don't believe in NHZ stuff- nice job, btw :pirate:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Uh Josh, you're a master :pirate: :threadjacked: :pirate:
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Sockmonkey wrote: That begs the chicken/egg question... are people who pursue tech type training already of the right mindset to evolve into thinking divers? How often to people wash-out of tech training like a navy seal going through bud/s? My guess is that the majority of folks who enter into a tech type class are already malleable.
Actually I sorta meant that as a serious question. Aren't people that pursue tech (ahem.. team?) training predisposed to being open to becoming a thinking diver?

And Richard.. you're right I can be dumb underwater no matter what I'm wearing... on my face or otherwise.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sockmonkey wrote:
Actually I sorta meant that as a serious question. Aren't people that pursue tech (ahem.. team?) training predisposed to being open to becoming a thinking diver?
Some maybe, but I think a lot of people just want to "go deep." I do think we tend to be a rather cerebral bunch, heck, I'd even say Josh is more of a geek than he is a jock. :penelope:
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote:Some maybe, but I think a lot of people just want to "go deep."
Must be those "happy narc" people.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:
Some maybe, but I think a lot of people just want to "go deep." I do think we tend to be a rather cerebral bunch, heck, I'd even say Josh is more of a geek than he is a jock. :penelope:
Absolutely. I'm definitely a geek, and I was never a jock. And I don't do dives just to set a new "personal deepest" dive. Any more. After a certain point, people that are doing those dives become very scary to me. When you start talking about anything 300' or deeper, there has to be something I really want to see down there- the stakes are high, and the deco is punishing. Diving that deep just to do it is stupid.

So, what's the big difference between tech training and team training anyway? I have to admit, that bugs me. I was taught to stay with my dive buddies. I was taught to watch out for them, and to be ready to assist or rescue them as needed. The guys I dive with dive as a team. We're a freaking team, for crying out loud.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

"Help out" in a general sense is great, nothing wrong with that.

For the people I dive and train with, we have generally more specific expectations. Where does the lightless diver go, does the failed right post or the failed left post go in the middle, how we mark exits, when do we leave the reel, do we share remaining deco gas when one is lost, where do we share, etc. I have found that even with people similarly trained it takes quite a few dives to get on the same page. Class dives really accentuate differences cause its like a lifetime of "come to jesus" dives in a a few days - even if they are sometimes contrived simulations.

It can actually be a bit hard to keep up with changes sometimes. E.g. light cord over vs. under the long hose that has specific issues that you might only realize at stage drops in a cave and these little things can really rattle you when you're a long way from home. I imagine most divers would consider me anal retentive. :der:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Joshua Smith wrote:raining anyway? I have to admit, that bugs me. I was taught to stay with my dive buddies. I was taught to watch out for them, and to be ready to assist or rescue them as needed. The guys I dive with dive as a team. We're a freaking team, for crying out loud.
I think the difference is the amount of time spent developing cohesion--and the ability to have cohesion across the lines of similarly trained divers.

For instance, a regular technical instructor (non "team" oriented) may be evaluating a student simply on whether the student (basically alone) may be able to do the dive. Not so worried about how that student behaves in a team context. The same instructor may subscribe to the "all tech dives are solo diving" mentality or give a fair amount of leeway in terms of equipment configuration.

The training I've done--beyond learning personal skills--always had a "what is going on with the team" component. As a result, I'm tracking my buddies, we're working together, and problem solving is a group effort. There is a bunch of really subtle stuff that comes out of this--who is the boss, when do you step in with that person when they're being a bad boss (which happens), how do you work together. That concept is there through all phases of the dive--including gas planning before and management during the dive.

Of course, I'm saying this without taking a tech class from each and every instructor on the tech diving spectrum, so take this for what it is worth. Honestly, with Andrew now doing CCR UTD seminars, I'd be delighted to get your opinions from taking a class with him. Heather would be another interesting perspective, but I hear she's not teaching anymore.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote: when do you step in with that person when they're being a bad boss (which happens)
You? Whoda thunk? :dontknow:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:
dsteding wrote: when do you step in with that person when they're being a bad boss (which happens)
I learned that by diving with you . . . :angry: :penelope: :rawlings:
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Who me? I'm a picture of perfection :angelblue:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

CaptnJack wrote:
dsteding wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Who me? I'm a picture of perfection :angelblue:
Except when you are not :zots:
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........