There's a reason for the boundary line....

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Considering how many OW divers have died in caves, I would say the more readily defined "hard ceiling" is already misunderstood. Making people fear a direct ascent has actually led to a couple of fatalities locally.

This issue really wouldn't exist if the park hadn't been made into a transportation facility. I've always wondered about the shoreline permits for the terminal, suppose the city issued them to themselves anyway.
Celeus
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Celeus »

Just one or two points.

Like others, there have been times when I've found the boundary line less than clearly visible. Additionally, I was wondering where the floating bottles went. The first time I didn't see them I wasn't sure I hadn't just found some other new line. Good to know that I shouldn't be expecting them.

There are a few lines in cove 2. If you are somewhat new to the area, it could be easy to not be sure what line you are finding if you don't know what it looks like. I liked the floating bottles, but if they are a safety hazard, I suppose they had to go. Bottles tied to the line seem like a good compromise.

But it probably would be helpful to describe the boundary line on/near the posted signs, and make sure the community knows about what it looks like- if people know that a line with bottles on it is the boundary line, and not anything else, then maybe they will recognize it more clearly.

I supposed no one would be offended if divers cleaned the line when/where they ran into it? I certainly have been on dives where the plan was to follow the line back in- cleaning a few feet each time might add up.
-- Celeus
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Celeus wrote:Just one or two points.

Like others, there have been times when I've found the boundary line less than clearly visible. Additionally, I was wondering where the floating bottles went. The first time I didn't see them I wasn't sure I hadn't just found some other new line. Good to know that I shouldn't be expecting them.

There are a few lines in cove 2. If you are somewhat new to the area, it could be easy to not be sure what line you are finding if you don't know what it looks like. I liked the floating bottles, but if they are a safety hazard, I suppose they had to go. Bottles tied to the line seem like a good compromise.

But it probably would be helpful to describe the boundary line on/near the posted signs, and make sure the community knows about what it looks like- if people know that a line with bottles on it is the boundary line, and not anything else, then maybe they will recognize it more clearly.

I supposed no one would be offended if divers cleaned the line when/where they ran into it? I certainly have been on dives where the plan was to follow the line back in- cleaning a few feet each time might add up.
Certainly no harm in cleaning a few feet of line on the way in ... especially in the shallows. This time of year, the kelp grows over it quickly, and cleaning the kelp off the line regularly will make it more visible.

Please don't go implementing any "home remedies" however ... if you have questions about what you should or shouldn't be able to do, contact Fritz Merkel or Jack Connick. They coordinate with the Parks and Recreation Dept to maintain the buoys and boundary line.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I haven't been to Cove 2 in a while but there used to be signs posted warning divers to stay outside the boundary line.

Not that anyone pays attention to the signs anyway, but I did see them last time I was there.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Pinkpadigal wrote:I haven't been to Cove 2 in a while but there used to be signs posted warning divers to stay outside the boundary line.

Not that anyone pays attention to the signs anyway, but I did see them last time I was there.
yeah they are still there but easily missed if you're not paying attention.
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox