Future Trippin' - Loreto, MX

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Future Trippin' - Loreto, MX

Post by girldiver »

Ok, so I'm doing some research...and want to hear from the locals. (PNW locals, that is!)

When I was managing an LDS a few years back, they would (and still do) run trips to Loreto. Always in October, as that's the best visibility...up to 130'. However, my teaching schedule in October is still active, so need to push it out aways.

Has anyone visited Loreto in the months of November or December? Obviously I can look online and find the varying visibility reports for that time of year (so save your online research for answering this question...been there...).

Ideally, I'd like to spend six weeks there from November through mid-December...but still in the research phase. Looking at an eco-lodge for the December spot, as there's no air conditioning, and the temps don't seem to drop early enough to be comfortable until December.

Would love to hear from anyone who's been there. Also, if you did any land stuff other than the mission, would love to hear about that as well.

Gracias! (yeah...not very fluent...YET!!)
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Future Trippin' - Loreto, MX

Post by renoun »

I haven't been to Baja for more than ten years but I did spend about three months down there in 1999. The area, especially farther South around La Paz, has become a destination for windsurfers from December through March because of the reliable winds 3-5 days a week. The water temperatures will definitely be comfortable that early in the year but the viz. will go once the big winds start. If you are wiling to gamble that the Northerly winds will start later this year it could be a great trip. I assume that you are talking about having a road trip adventure, I would defiantly plan some time to visit the Pacific coast and Bahia de los Angeles further North. Let me know if you want to get together and look at maps and photos.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
jackieg
Amphibian

Post by jackieg »

I was there in December of 2006. Quaint town, lots of tourists, but not inexpensive. Loreto is the ONLY town so prices for food, etc., are not as inexpensive as other seaside resorts where there is competition.(steak dinner was $25.00)

The water was not warm - I took a 3 mm wetsuit and ended up renting a full 7 mm from the dive shop. The dive operator I used was ok.

There did seem to be alot of English speaking folks from other countries who winter in that area. Good luck!
ivankarmel
Just Settling In

Post by ivankarmel »

I dove La Paz in July. I'd wear a wet suit even if it wasn't cold. Lots of Jelly Fish in the water. At La Paz you dive "El Bajo" seamount which is deep with lots of current from an anchored boat that goes live if you drift away. Second dive is a seal lion rookery which is alot of fun if you've never been in the water with them. Look out for the bull though! Lots of pelagics. La Paz has way more to do than Loreto and is not touristy. Great fishing too. Beachfront condo's for 120 a night. Great eats. Lots of sun. Would like to hear of your dive experiences in Loreto. Ivan Karmel