Breezes Runaway Bay resort

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Breezes Runaway Bay resort

Post by Norris »

My wife and I are going here in April. Originally we were going to accompany a friend as he was married, but that plan has changed. We now will just be going there to chill. Tickets are bought, non-refundable and I have read good and bad things about this place. I know we will be solicited for drugs constantly, and the more time we spend on the resort the better and we are prepared for this.

20% bad is about the ratio.

I dove in Mexico last march and the gear they gave us, although not very great, worked fine. I plan to bring my regulator and possibly my BC. What are some thoughts about tropical diving and what I should not leave at home?? If anyone has any bad reviews, I would only like to hear pointers at this point, as mentioned above we are not thinking about going we ARE going.

Thanks
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Re: Breezes Runaway Bay resort

Post by Dashrynn »

Pardon me if my add is kicking in but how much for the entire trip and how much diving do you plan on doing??

Also I'd like to note that most airline companies allow 2 checked and 1 carryon for military. So if you have a military guy with you.....well you know whatsup
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I think we paid like 2200.00 or something, I dont handle that part. I plan to dive daily if I can. I dont have an extra military guy on me, as i loaned mine out to a friend.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Ahhhh Jamaica....

We went to Runaway bay a couple of years ago to the resort next to breezes. The resort itself was awesome.... Here are a few tips we learned in our time on the island.

Arrange for the most expensive transportation you can for your transfer to and from the airport to the hotel. Regular cab rides are, were, one of the few times I was truly afraid for my life. These people are crazy beyond belief and there are no stop signs, or any apparent driving laws or enforcement whatsoever. If you hire a nicer car,.. they seem to slow down some, but not much.

Never go to town alone. Hire a guide. Never, Never go with a "local" to their house for any reason. The crime rate and violence is rampant. Locals will lure you away into the jungle and then rob and leave you there. Better yet, stay in the resort.

A $20 tip goes along way... literally a weeks salary for some employees there.

Dont drink the Rum Punch from the street vendors. Its not the same as what your offered in the resorts. It is about 120+ proof and is made from rum, sugar and grenadine. Thats it. Yes, we learned the hard way. :partyman: :partyman:

Use the safe in your room. We were robbed during our stay.

If ummm...herb-oligy is your thing... get a sample. It is second to none. But leave it alone at least a day before you leave. Two of our friends were stopped and searched even though they had nothing on them, but had partaken that morning. The dogs marked them. They had their passports stamped that the dogs picked up a scent.

The women are the bulk of the police force there and in the airport. They are militant. Give them leeway. Literally pushing you around in the lines when your leaving. We were searched three times. Funny, they were much more polite when we arrived than when we left..?? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Leave the local shells where you find them in the ocean. It is apparently illegal to collect them.

Jamaica is beautiful, but extremely poor and the crime rate is high. We had a good time, but will likely never return. Mexico has better water, more hospitable natives, safer travel, and it is less expensive.

Have a good trip Rick!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Cory that is what Im talking about! Thanks alot. Yeah I have been reading reviews and have learned a lot. My wife and I have already decided that the resort is where we will be spending our time. We aren't big partyers and this resort looks like a mellower one than some. Now as for gear, it seems that if robbery could happen maybe I should just use what they have so I dont have to worry. I cant imagine the safes being large enough to fit a BC and Reg set, he he.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

I would rent gear bro. We were at a high end resort on the second floor. Someone literally climbed up the wall and came in through the window and took our camera and some money we had laying out. Thank god the valuables were in the safe. Bring your mask and snorkel and your fins but leave the rest at home. Lock up your wallets rings passports etc every time you leave the room.

Bring back some Rum. Appleton estates makes a fantastic Over- Proof Rum only available on the island as it is illegal to sell that high proof alcohol here.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Anyone got a snorkel I can borrow????

he he

I should get my wife a mask/snorkel huh? There are lots of snorkeling options?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Norris wrote:Cory that is what Im talking about! Thanks alot. Yeah I have been reading reviews and have learned a lot. My wife and I have already decided that the resort is where we will be spending our time. We aren't big partyers and this resort looks like a mellower one than some. Now as for gear, it seems that if robbery could happen maybe I should just use what they have so I dont have to worry. I cant imagine the safes being large enough to fit a BC and Reg set, he he.
Insure it with DAN, and take your stuff. You get robbed, you get new gear!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I already have the most expensive plan with Dan, but do I need to go the the site and actually register what I own?
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Norris wrote:Anyone got a snorkel I can borrow????

he he

Definitely! The beach your going to has a nice breaker wall . The surf can get rough later in the day. Make sure she is a strong swimmer and don't venture too far out... Undercurrents will carry you out.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Norris wrote:I already have the most expensive plan with Dan, but do I need to go the the site and actually register what I own?
Medical is different from gear insurance.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

he he

Somehow I've ended up with 3, in spite of never using them. You're welcome to borrow one.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

scottsax wrote:
he he
Somehow I've ended up with 3, in spite of never using them. You're welcome to borrow one.
I thought that was what the thing you played on during your shows. I'd best go to another show to verify......
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

mz53480 wrote:
scottsax wrote:Somehow I've ended up with 3, in spite of never using them. You're welcome to borrow one.
I thought that was what the thing you played on during your shows. I'd best go to another show to verify......
I have 4 saxomophones, but I usually only take 1 to shows. February 12th Spike and the Impalers at the Edmonds Center for the Arts....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Snorkelaphone?

Yeah Scott can I borrow two? I am going to pick my wife up a mask in a couple weeks. I wont need them for a while, of course, as my trip is in April.

She was on Bob Rivers this morning talking about bra's ha ha
CAPTNJACK - 2012**