Blackbeards Cruises

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Blackbeards Cruises

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Has anyone done one of those? $899 for a week on a liveaboard sounds really good. I would expect the accomodations to be a bit spartan but don't really mind that if the diving is good, plenty and cheap.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Re: Blackbeards Cruises

Post by eliseaboo »

AMAZING!! Do it. Just sign up now.

I lead one of these every January, and as long as you go in with appropriate expectations (it won't be luxury -- think camping at sea) you will have an amazing time. You will dive lots, eat good food, and drink plenty. The crew is fantastic, fun, and responsive. This year it was cold. One night was the coldest it has been in Freeport in something like 100 years, but we still had a good time.

...and if you're interested in going in January, well...you know who to talk to ;)
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Has anyone done one of those? $899 for a week on a liveaboard sounds really good. I would expect the accomodations to be a bit spartan but don't really mind that if the diving is good, plenty and cheap.

Need a buddy?
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

sheahanmcculla wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:Has anyone done one of those? $899 for a week on a liveaboard sounds really good. I would expect the accomodations to be a bit spartan but don't really mind that if the diving is good, plenty and cheap.

Need a buddy?
The more the merrier right?

One thing that I was wondering about though. It appears that everyone sleeps in a large general are of curtained bunks. What if you have one or more people that snore really bad? Does this affect everybody else or is everyone so tired from diving that it's not an issue? Or do they motor to new sites during the night? I'm curious.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Yeah, sleeping arrangements are close. But they will occasionally be making a crossing or motoring during the night, and you are generally pretty tired and/or passed out. They'll fill up the singles, but if you sign up as a couple (or a group of people) they might assign two people to a double bunk (don't worry, they won't randomly assign two strangers to a bunk together, though you might be above or below someone you don't know). It's cramped, but people are usually pretty good spirited because they're there to dive! At least, the people in my group are :)

I like the main cabin. When I lead trips, I specifically request it, because you can wake up, roll out of bed, and there's breakfast! If you have a tendency to get seasick this is also the best cabin to be in. But if you want more privacy, opt for the cabins in the front. The mid cabins have fewer people and doors.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Blackbeards is a blast. I'm hard pressed to think of a better way to spend a week. Personally if I had the option to do another week on a blackbeard's cruise or a week on a more luxurious liveaboard I would probably opt for the blackbeards because typically the spirit of everyone aboard is right. You forget what day it is until you pull into dock. Bimini is amazing.... "The End of the World" is a great place, and no matter how the rest of the week goes I highly suggest you avoid betting anything more than a beer on the ring game when you start playing with the locals.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan