Backplate webbing question

General topics about technical diving.
brihno
Avid Diver

Backplate webbing question

Post by brihno »

Hi guys,

I am itching to get rid of my transplate harness and go for the traditional Hog style web harness. How many feet of 2" webbing do I need?

Also what is appropriate for the crotch strap webbing? 1 or 2 inch?

Finally,

Is there a good video or diagram available anywhere on how to thread the webbing?

Thanks,
Brian
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Backplate webbing question

Post by spatman »

hey brian

usually 15' is plenty to thread your backplate. crotch straps are usually 1" and made of a softer webbing than the 2".

some links:

threading a backplate (youtube)

sizing a backplate

there are some other goods ones, i'll see if i can dig them up later...

brihno wrote:Hi guys,

I am itching to get rid of my transplate harness and go for the traditional Hog style web harness. How many feet of 2" webbing do I need?

Also what is appropriate for the crotch strap webbing? 1 or 2 inch?

Finally,

Is there a good video or diagram available anywhere on how to thread the webbing?

Thanks,
Brian
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I agree with everything but the 1" crotch strap. I've seen lots of 2" crotch straps. Helps when scootering I think. Also, then all your D-rings are 2", so clipping off something on your butt D-ring is easier. (clipping something off to a 1" d-ring would be no fun at all. )

I think Deep Sea Supply has a a video of how to thread the webbing on the plate.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I recommend getting it from Deep Sea Supply for 2 reasons. 1) Tobin has some nice webbing that's just right. Not too floppy, not too rigid. I've used the super-stiff resin stuff and it's overkill. The stuff I just got from Tobin is much better. 2) More importantly you can piggyback an order for one of his soft sewn crotch straps. 100x better than that stiff webbing that saws your legs off.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Seattle Fabrics has some very nice 2" webbing that is a little thinner and more flexible than the stuff Tobin uses, and I like it better (but unfortunately, not as well as the Halcyon webbing with the obnoxious blue Hs all over it). I used some softer webbing to make crotch straps. They aren't hard to make for yourself, if you have a sewing machine. I'm not terribly DIYish, and I managed it.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Brian, where are you located? Tacoma Scuba has some really nice webbing ... not too stiff and not too floppy. I like it better than anything I've tried yet ... best of all, they've got it in RED!

I have found that 12 feet is plenty for me ... and I have a generous waist and shoulder size. Also, for a standard hogarthian setup, 2" soft webbing is what you need for a crotch strap. I have plenty of soft stuff, in both black and gray, and would be happy to donate adequate webbing for a crotch strap.

I live in Federal Way ... if you want to head over to my place some evening, I can show you how to construct and size your harness properly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

I am in south Oregon. My instructor down here in Klamath falls offered me some webbing for free; if that still stands, I'll get it from him.

If not I'll probably get if from scubatoys.com; they also have webbing in different colors. I kind of like either black or mavby some of that Halcyon stuff with the blue 'H' all over it.

Thanks for all of the info guys!
Brihno
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Tacoma Scuba also has that new niffty Halcyon cinch harness, one piece and a breeze to get on and off ;)
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

the halcyon adjustable cinch harness is simply awesome :) left to my own devices i'd have it on EVERY backplate i own. the adjustable crotch strap will make even the most jaded BP&W'er stop and go "coooool" :)

i'll second the comment about soft 2" webbing for crotch strap :) (no buttfloss or stiffy webbing for the reasons mentioned above) if the backplate you get has 1" slot (some of the older OMS and Diverites) , then just fold the webbing in half so it fits in that area and unfold it past that point.

Also, if you are DIY, sew the front D-ring and loop on the crotch strap like Lynne says, it makes a difference :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
brihno
Avid Diver

Post by brihno »

Just an update: I actually ended up getting the Dive Rite basic harness for 25 bucks, it's just a piece of webbing with the grommet already installed. It also came with all of the D-rings and a new buckle. So now I have a spare.

Thanks all.