Breaking the Titlow Curse

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Breaking the Titlow Curse

Post by dwashbur »

At least, certain ex-members of my family thought Titlow was cursed for us, based on a couple of bad experiences there. Well, Chenari and I headed there this past Thursday and had a fantastic 71 minute dive. We went through the pilings and out to the barge, someplace we haven't been before. Lots of seaweed but we still found lots of neat critters. The current couldn't have been more perfect. Back in the pilings we explored until we were both exhausted, then we headed in. We surfaced when the seaweed got so thick we couldn't find a way through it.

A few pictures:

The first Triopha catalinae we've seen in a very long time. Chenari got this wonderful angle on it.
clown1.jpg
This cute little Aleutian moonsnail (I love diving with my eagle-eyed daughter!):
moonsnail1.jpg
Lots of nudibranchs. This one's been busy:
leopard1.jpg
A super-tiny Dirona albolineata:
dirona1.jpg
and quite possibly the tiniest shaggy mouse I've ever seen:
shaggy1.jpg
The find of the day, as usual, goes to my daughter who spotted this stiletto shrimp. But not just any shrimp, this one is looking after the next generation. Check out the eggs!
shrimp1.jpg
So it would seem that either Titlow isn't cursed after all, or we broke the curse. All I know is, I want to go back!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Breaking the Titlow Curse

Post by Gdog »

Didnt know there was a barge there....where if you dont mind my asking?!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Gdog wrote:Didnt know there was a barge there....where if you dont mind my asking?!
I haven't visited the barge but there are maps that show it at Perfect Dive.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

There really isn't much of the barge left. It was wood and has pretty well rotted away.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I assumed what we found was the barge; there was a lot of I-beam type framework and it was roughly in the shape of such a structure. Or was that something else? I'm not above being corrected.

Okay, looking at that map, it may have been the breakwater. Hard to tell. We were at a pretty high tide so we got to 44 feet at its location. Don't know if that makes a difference or not, but there it is :tomnic:
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com