Sund Rock 1/1 and 1/2

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Sund Rock 1/1 and 1/2

Post by Gdog »

Dove Sund Rock South Wall both days. On the first day, vis was about 10fsw down to the thermocline at 20', and then below was about 20'. The water temp above 20' was very cold...instant headache!! 6-7 Wolfies, and 6 GPOs among the usual critters.
The next day was raining, and vis had deteriorated, maybe 12' or so. My wife came face to face with a GPO out on walkabout before she realized it wasnt a rock! We had fun watching him cruise around for a bit. All in all, 1 Wolfie and 4 GPOs. We were frozen, and didnt get to the North wall.
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Re: Sund Rock 1/1 and 1/2

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Was there on the first and second also, Saw the same critters, hung out and watched the Octo on the loose ( south wall ) for about 20 minutes. I had never seen them " hunting " before. He would shimmy over to a clump of kelp then surround it with his arms, then POUNCE on the clump and change to white immediately. Saw him do this about 6 times. The whole time I was dreaming of the Go-Pro I don't have yet #-o

I dove the North Wall also and saw the same critters as well. The 20' skiff located between the walls has a HUGE :boucegreen: Octo underneath. Suckers the size of a silver dollar ! but he wasn't playing ( to be honest I would have backed way off if it decided to anyways ).

I asked around to see if any were NorthWest dive clubbers :lurk: guess I didn't get to you guys. By chance do you both dive w/yellow fins ? drive a green Subie ?

We should all have a sticker on the tanks or cars for easier identification ! Some people looked at me pretty funny !!
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

No, we have a burgundy jeep cherokee, no yellow fins! We parked at the far south of the lot, got there about 1 or 2 PM. The GPO we watched had a big lingcod swim up to him unaware. The GPO grabbed it but the fish wriggled loose and got away...fun to see!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Nice!
:supz:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!