More Freedom

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

More Freedom

Post by ArcticDiver »

The consequences of my accident and subsequent surgery is like an ongoing and unending soap opera saga; or, at least it seems like that to me sometimes. Hopefully it won't last as long.

Yesterday was a milestone day. I made sure the ice cleats on my cane were working and went out by myself for my first solo excursion since surgery five months ago. I had coffee with a friend, did some shopping, got my purchases to the vehicle and made it home, all by myself. And, best of all, unlike after riding the exercise bike last week, I can actually walk today! With the cane of course.

A small step to be sure, but an important one.

I'm headed out again today for another adventure.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: More Freedom

Post by John Rawlings »

Congratulations!!!!

On a cane, eh? I'll race you!

John :rawlings:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Next adventure: make it home from the local watering hole.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

John Rawlings wrote:Congratulations!!!!

On a cane, eh? I'll race you!

John :rawlings:
What a guy you are! Picking on an old cripple :boxer:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Mongo wrote:Next adventure: make it home from the local watering hole.

Its' -33F outside right now. Don't have the guts to wander around in that with extra anti-freeze on board.

Did go to the gym today for some light weights. Last time I did myself in for days. This time I hope I had better sense. We'll know in the morning.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Good to hear encouraging news. I think of my sons' old football coach, an iconic figure that would hire his assistants to help with his logging business. Invariably, these young guys would hurt themselves trying to impress this old guy. He would admonish them with the saying, "Coach, You've got to learn to pace yourself." I suspect that this is the hardest lesson for you to learn.
-Curt (Ain't learned it yet.)
Happy to be alive.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

It isn't so much that I don't try to pace myself as it is difficulty determining what pain and muscle spasms are the result of exercise induced muscle soreness and what are caused by the trauma and surgery. One is best addressed by by pushing through and the other has to be approached gently and with a generous application of drugs. The info I was given pre-op that said I should be able to do a lot more at this time post-op hasn't helped.

As I go, though, I'm getting a better handle on things. People who have similar trauma seem to come out of the wooodwork. Their stories help me get a handle on things. For example, yesterday one of the guys lifting next to me told me he had similar spinal injury plus TBI from being blown up in a humvee in Afganistan. It took him nearly two years to regain full mobility and he is 24 y/o. He says he still has some spasms. Plus, he still doesn't hasn't regained full cognitive function.

It is a strange new world I trod. But it will work out.