*Choosing the right tech harness* Scubapro XTech question..

General topics about technical diving.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Zeagle XTech question..

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:Jeesh I never knew about that sticky, well there you go.

Does anyone know if Matt going to continue teaching now that he's closed NWSD?
He said he was going to, in that recent thread.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Re: Scubapro XTech question..

Post by SeanKylgod »

I meant the scubapro xtec, not zeagle. woopsies. I already have a zeagle tech10 lol
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote: Just do your research into the program specifics and do not stare blindly into "limits" of the cert like depth, mix, etc.. or an attractive price tag.. Rather look at the whole package and how that initial cert builds forward to the rest of your diving career and how that agency approaches it.
Another way to think about this topic is to see who's doing the dives you want to do. Go diving recreationally with them and ask how they got to where they are and what they would do differently.

I'll go out on a limb here and say there are definitely "tech instructors" in the Puget Sound region (not the list above) who couldn't dive their way out of a paper bag. And if you wanted to know how or get help doing the PB4Y Bomber in Lake WA http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 4Y#p200202
they would have no clue how to dive this iconic "must do" PNW wreck. So buyer beware.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

thanks, cptn. I know there is a lot of pretenders out there haha. do you dive a one piece harness? Is everyone completely against quick releases?
CaptnJack wrote:
kdupreez wrote: Just do your research into the program specifics and do not stare blindly into "limits" of the cert like depth, mix, etc.. or an attractive price tag.. Rather look at the whole package and how that initial cert builds forward to the rest of your diving career and how that agency approaches it.
Another way to think about this topic is to see who's doing the dives you want to do. Go diving recreationally with them and ask how they got to where they are and what they would do differently.

I'll go out on a limb here and say there are definitely "tech instructors" in the Puget Sound region (not the list above) who couldn't dive their way out of a paper bag. And if you wanted to know how or get help doing the PB4Y Bomber in Lake WA http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 4Y#p200202
they would have no clue how to dive this iconic "must do" PNW wreck. So buyer beware.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

SeanKylgod wrote:thanks, cptn. I know there is a lot of pretenders out there haha. do you dive a one piece harness? Is everyone completely against quick releases?
I dive a one peice harness on a backplate.

But I'm not against quick releases, they have their role. I can tell you I have broken every plastic part ever made at one time or another. Generally putting a tank or weighbelt down on it, not in the water. This includes fastex quick releases although that happened to be on a backpack. We tied the strap together so I could hike out. So in my experience its a matter of time before you pick up a BC with plastic buckles and find a crack in one. Hopefully you'd cancel the dive even if you're on the charter ready to go - as a BC falling off with a deco obligation would be pretty bad, esp if the buckle was broken before you even got wet.

If you had some sort of metal quick release that would be more durable. But most people find they don't need them with a properly adjusted (one piece) harness. Most (all?) of the instructors in the list above can help you get a one peice harness adjusted right. Or some of the dive groups here could help. Wed at Cove2 or Mondays at Mukilteo. Both have experienced one-peice harness divers in regular attendance who could lend a hand if a one peice seems more hassle than its worth at first.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

The one piece seemed safer and more practical, however I was seeing some really nice looking hollis harnesses that would be a gentle transition from my Zeagle to BP/W setup that I am going to make my primary.. I could always just buy the harness I want and nix the plastic crap altogether,and just have it on a SS slide cinch couldnt I? thanks again for the help cj
CaptnJack wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:thanks, cptn. I know there is a lot of pretenders out there haha. do you dive a one piece harness? Is everyone completely against quick releases?
I dive a one peice harness on a backplate.

But I'm not against quick releases, they have their role. I can tell you I have broken every plastic part ever made at one time or another. Generally putting a tank or weighbelt down on it, not in the water. This includes fastex quick releases although that happened to be on a backpack. We tied the strap together so I could hike out. So in my experience its a matter of time before you pick up a BC with plastic buckles and find a crack in one. Hopefully you'd cancel the dive even if you're on the charter ready to go - as a BC falling off with a deco obligation would be pretty bad, esp if the buckle was broken before you even got wet.

If you had some sort of metal quick release that would be more durable. But most people find they don't need them with a properly adjusted (one piece) harness. Most (all?) of the instructors in the list above can help you get a one peice harness adjusted right. Or some of the dive groups here could help. Wed at Cove2 or Mondays at Mukilteo. Both have experienced one-peice harness divers in regular attendance who could lend a hand if a one peice seems more hassle than its worth at first.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

How much is the hollis setup?

For about 60 bucks, you can get fabric and hardware to make a one piece. You can also make a two piece for a few dollars more (nylon clipand a little more fabric).

If you don't have a plate, you can get one from 90 dollars and up. aka, you can have a harness b/p for about $150 in no time, and won't be out a ton of loot if you don't like it.

D
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx? ... ness&Hit=1

this is the harness I want, I would just get rid of the 1" webbing that goes from the shoulder pad D ring to the waist by replacing it with 2" and no QR

I have no aversion to 1 piece, I just want shoulder pads and a bit more comfort than just wearing straight up webbing with D rings on it.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

That's a lot of stuff. If you want padding, I've got dive rite pads i'll give you, or i'll sell you my Halcyon ones.

D
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I agree with Richard, a one piece harness is the way to go.

I have NO problems getting in or out of mine.. When we see each other I'll show you all the toys and you will be amazed at the function and fit of such a basic and streamlined piece of gear..

Same here, used plastic quick disconnects for a long time, luckily mine never broke, but I was just waiting for the day when I paid $200 for a boat charter and 5mins before we're to drop to 140ft to go see schooling hammer head sharks, a DM would accidentally put tanks on the clips and there goes my $200 lifetime opportunity dive..

single webbing kits are very inexpensive, indestructible and can be replaced in under 20 minutes for less than $20..

I'd be happy to offer you a beer at my place and I'll show you all the gear in exquisite detail in the scuba-garage and you are also welcome to use/ borrow a full setup for a few dives if you want :)

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:I'd be happy to offer you a beer at my place and I'll show you all the gear in exquisite detail in the scuba-garage and you are also welcome to use/ borrow a full setup for a few dives if you want :)
Jump on this generous offer Sean.
I think you'll find with most any kind of exposure protection, even just a 3mm wetsuit, all that puff padding is just that, fluff. You don't need it and in time you probably won't want it. I sold my transpac about 6 years ago and haven't missed it one bit, even in the tropics.
chokolad
Avid Diver

Post by chokolad »

CaptnJack wrote: Jump on this generous offer Sean.
I think you'll find with most any kind of exposure protection, even just a 3mm wetsuit, all that puff padding is just that, fluff. You don't need it and in time you probably won't want it. I sold my transpac about 6 years ago and haven't missed it one bit, even in the tropics.
+2

1. Let Koos help you figure it out.
2. I dove my halcyon plate without pads in tropics in 3 mil shortie and never felt a need for padding. Here I am diving it over the drysuit and I never fill it.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

that would be friggin awesome!
kdupreez wrote:I agree with Richard, a one piece harness is the way to go.

I have NO problems getting in or out of mine.. When we see each other I'll show you all the toys and you will be amazed at the function and fit of such a basic and streamlined piece of gear..

Same here, used plastic quick disconnects for a long time, luckily mine never broke, but I was just waiting for the day when I paid $200 for a boat charter and 5mins before we're to drop to 140ft to go see schooling hammer head sharks, a DM would accidentally put tanks on the clips and there goes my $200 lifetime opportunity dive..

single webbing kits are very inexpensive, indestructible and can be replaced in under 20 minutes for less than $20..

I'd be happy to offer you a beer at my place and I'll show you all the gear in exquisite detail in the scuba-garage and you are also welcome to use/ borrow a full setup for a few dives if you want :)

SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I'm jumping ALLLLL over it haha. I didn't figure I would really need a BP pad/shoulder pads, but I was wondering if it might put ware on my drysuit without one.. My Zeagle certainly does.. then again, I would assume any quality BP would be smooth everywhere and I wouldn't have to worry about the plate messing anything up.

another quick question.. I have a BARE D6 and my shoulder straps always seem to wear out the shoulders of my suits really quickly.. I know that there is heat activated neoprene tape (I've used it when i trimmed my neck seal to size) and I used a heat gun and a roller to stick it on under the supervision of a professional drysuit repair tech.. is it possible/plausible to use the 5X7 iron-on clothing patches I bought on the spots where my shoulders are starting to get frayed and fuzzy looking? It was the best idea I've come up with thus far for preserving my suits..
CaptnJack wrote:
kdupreez wrote:I'd be happy to offer you a beer at my place and I'll show you all the gear in exquisite detail in the scuba-garage and you are also welcome to use/ borrow a full setup for a few dives if you want :)
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I'm jumping ALLLLL over it haha. I didn't figure I would really need a BP pad/shoulder pads, but I was wondering if it might put ware on my drysuit without one.. My Zeagle certainly does.. then again, I would assume any quality BP would be smooth everywhere and I wouldn't have to worry about the plate messing anything up.

another quick question.. I have a BARE D6 and my shoulder straps always seem to wear out the shoulders of my suits really quickly.. I know that there is heat activated neoprene tape (I've used it when i trimmed my neck seal to size) and I used a heat gun and a roller to stick it on under the supervision of a professional drysuit repair tech.. is it possible/plausible to use the 5X7 iron-on clothing patches I bought on the spots where my shoulders are starting to get frayed and fuzzy looking? It was the best idea I've come up with thus far for preserving my suits..
CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

SeanKylgod wrote:
If you try it, let us know how it works, my shoulders are fine, but this might be a good idea for where my crotch strap is starting to wear on the neoprene.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

SeanKylgod wrote:http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx? ... ness&Hit=1

this is the harness I want, I would just get rid of the 1" webbing that goes from the shoulder pad D ring to the waist by replacing it with 2" and no QR

I have no aversion to 1 piece, I just want shoulder pads and a bit more comfort than just wearing straight up webbing with D rings on it.
I was worried about padding for a day or two. Tried a rental BP/W with some padding and then built my own harness (well Scott@soundaquatics.com mostly built it) with no padding. I didn't even notice the difference. I'm happy I went for it because I like to keep it simple and padding = lead.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

that's another really good point.. simplicity and less weight. yeah, i'm definitely sold on the one piece now ;-)
diverden wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx? ... ness&Hit=1

I was worried about padding for a day or two. Tried a rental BP/W with some padding and then built my own harness (well Scott@soundaquatics.com mostly built it) with no padding. I didn't even notice the difference. I'm happy I went for it because I like to keep it simple and padding = lead.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

i'm off to finish my wrist seals now and soon after I will give the patches a go on my semi-dry first and if it works, I will take before and after pics of my drysuit. wish me luck!
Nwbrewer wrote:
SeanKylgod wrote:
If you try it, let us know how it works, my shoulders are fine, but this might be a good idea for where my crotch strap is starting to wear on the neoprene.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

So, I did the patch test on my semi-dry and the results actually look REALLY promising. I tried to peel the patch off, tried to squeeze, stretch and distort the suit as much as possible to see if it would break the adhesive loose.. It held true. I say give this a go if you have the same shoulder or crotch ware problems my suit is starting to show :taco:
Attachments
some glue gooed out of the sides and the patch frayed a bit, but with a pair of tweezers and a hobby knife, this should clean up just fine
some glue gooed out of the sides and the patch frayed a bit, but with a pair of tweezers and a hobby knife, this should clean up just fine
Trying to peel, rip or mess it up once it cooled.. wasn't happening.
Trying to peel, rip or mess it up once it cooled.. wasn't happening.
my BARE semi-dry as a test subject. It works!
my BARE semi-dry as a test subject. It works!
these are the patches I used..
these are the patches I used..
So, this is the shoulder ware I was talking about
So, this is the shoulder ware I was talking about
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: *Choosing the right tech harness* Scubapro XTech questio

Post by CaptnJack »

That wear is totally normal. The material won't leak from that, the fabric will poop out in the crotch or armpits before that shoulder wear is ever a problem.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I've got a D6 with well of 1K dives on it by now, and it's not worn. You don't need to apply patches.

D
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

the shoulders on mine were starting to fray and get fuzzy from where my shoulder straps rubbed. I know i don't *need them, but its more aesthetically pleasing.. *shrug*
defied wrote:I've got a D6 with well of 1K dives on it by now, and it's not worn. You don't need to apply patches.

D
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

yeah, I know it's normal.. I just dont like it haha. I am constantly clipping loose threads/melting fuzzies with a lighter on my bc and most all of my other gear. I do my best to take care of it and keep it lookin' purrty :neener:
CaptnJack wrote:That wear is totally normal. The material won't leak from that, the fabric will poop out in the crotch or armpits before that shoulder wear is ever a problem.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

Second note; I've decied to get the deluxe Hollis harness with the quick releases to replace my daily rec harness and get the Halcyon one piece for tech and dubs.