Porteau Cove, Howe Sound BC

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Novice
Dive-aholic

Porteau Cove, Howe Sound BC

Post by Novice »

This is a late report but I finally finished editing the video and wanted to share it. Did a couple dives with my LDS, Adventures Down Under, up in Howe Sound. I had never done any diving up there and was looking forward to hitting some of Canada's artificial reefs. We ended up going to Porteau Cove, which is a bit like the Canadian version of EUP, there are a cluster of wrecks with marker buoys in a small cove.

The wreck in the video is the Nakaya, a 136 ft wood hulled converted mine sweeper. It sits in 80-90 feet of water. It is an impressive wreck however I was surprised by how little life there is on any of the wrecks at Porteau. Imagining what a wreck like this would look like even plunked down at 80 feet at the T Dock makes me wish we had an reef program like BC's.

The video includes a gratuitous shot of a seal that was playing around me near the end of the dive. I just had to include him.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTFzML6l ... ture=g-upl[/youtube]
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Porteau Cove, Howe Sound BC

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow, very little life indeed. Something like that in a good area down here would be teaming with life! Just goes to show you that current is essential to creating a good eco system for underwater life.

It is a great demo of how bright and tight the beam is on my lights and how well they cut through our green waters :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm... how long has that wreck been down? Looks alot like the wreck of the trawler at Sund.

Are these shore dives or boat dives?

And yes, they show off the Dusty Light quite nicely!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Novice wrote: Imagining what a wreck like this would look like even plunked down at 80 feet at the T Dock makes me wish we had an reef program like BC's.
This.

Especially after diving Edmonds Underwater Park, a bare, sandy bottom that was turned into a pretty amazing place.

Don't mean to stir up anything, but it raises a question in my mind after my dives there a couple of days ago. How in the heck did Bruce and the boys bypass all the red tape to get the goodies that are sunk at Edmonds past the "authorities"?

Guess I need to truck up there again and have a conversation with some folks.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tom Nic wrote:Hmmm... how long has that wreck been down? Looks alot like the wreck of the trawler at Sund.

Are these shore dives or boat dives?

And yes, they show off the Dusty Light quite nicely!
They have been down about 20 yrs. There's not much current in Howe Sound and the Brittania mines were once the largest copper mine (in BC or the west coast? I forget) so the whole area has been nuked with toxic copper runoff for about 100years. They recently did some remediation at Britannia and this part of the Howe Sound is slowly recovering. It will never have much current though so big abundant life is unlikely.

These are shore dives. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... diving.pdf
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Novice wrote: Imagining what a wreck like this would look like even plunked down at 80 feet at the T Dock makes me wish we had an reef program like BC's.
I was at Porteau Cove once about 3 years ago. I thought it was an awesome place to dive! Stairs to the water and a shower. It was really nice to camp right next door too.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Please don't misunderstand me. I really enjoyed diving there and it is worth a trip. The facilities are very diver friendly and the wrecks are fun to dive. Each wreck has its own buoy with a label with the name and depth below, showers, nice camp ground. The drive up there is actually quite scenic as well.

I was also curious about the effect on the environment of the mining debris. I saw the giant mine from the highway and wondered what role the pollution plays in the difference in life you see there vs other areas. Obviously the lack of any current plays a big role as well.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

CaptnJack wrote: There's not much current in Howe Sound and the Brittania mines were once the largest copper mine (in BC or the west coast? I forget) so the whole area has been nuked with toxic copper runoff for about 100years. They recently did some remediation at Britannia and this part of the Howe Sound is slowly recovering. It will never have much current though so big abundant life is unlikely.

These are shore dives. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... diving.pdf
Well, that explains the relative scarcity of invert life... along with the lack of much current.

That being said, with the list of species on Rjack's link it would be as good or better than a bunch of our local mud holes.
diverden wrote:I was at Porteau Cove once about 3 years ago. I thought it was an awesome place to dive! Stairs to the water and a shower. It was really nice to camp right next door too.
Even taking the above into account I'm guessing that this would be an awesome place to go up and camp or stay and shore dive for two or three days.

I can't remember if I ever did a dive report on our shore diving expedition to Sechelt and Powell River, but suffice it to say that even though charters can get you to some pretty amazing spots there was nothing wrong with a trip on the cheap to do some shore diving.

I think I do some research and plan a trip! :boucegreen:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Novice wrote:Please don't misunderstand me. I really enjoyed diving there and it is worth a trip. The facilities are very diver friendly and the wrecks are fun to dive. Each wreck has its own buoy with a label with the name and depth below, showers, nice camp ground. The drive up there is actually quite scenic as well.

I was also curious about the effect on the environment of the mining debris. I saw the giant mine from the highway and wondered what role the pollution plays in the difference in life you see there vs other areas. Obviously the lack of any current plays a big role as well.
Its a nice place, we enjoyed our dives in the area too (10yrs ago??). Worth taking a small boat if you have one.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Hmmm... The Google machine says that this is a four hour drive from my house, and there is no ferry to take.

Compare a drive to Neah Bay or thereabouts...

I'm going to have to do this!

How was visibility, BTW?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Club Dive spot?!?
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Definitely fun for one day. Maybe two. Three seems like a bit much.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Any dive in a new diver friendly place with camping near & wrecks accessible at moderate depths from shore has got to be worth a day or more. There sure ain't much of a place around here that fits that description. Just wish there was more life to make it really desirable.

Think what those wrecks would be like if they were at a place like Point Hudson or Keystone! They would be alive with critters of every description. Now that would be awesome! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Incidentally we all owe Bruce and the boys a debt of gratitude for their continuing efforts to build and maintain such a great dive spot right in the middle of a major urban area. That kind of passion and devotion is hard to find.

Three cheers for Bruce! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

I think if we could get a city government behind us there would be a chance of creating such a place but without the community at large involved it won't ever happen. Given the agenda of the DLM to remove all derelict vessels from Puget sound it's not likely to change unless we can get new blood in there. The current group is definitely not diver friendly when it comes to creating such destinations even when it is a totally volunteer effort and no state funds are required. Whatever you do, If you see a derilict
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tom Nic wrote:Club Dive spot?!?
Pretty long drive... Howe Sound has better boat diving vs shore anyway. Club charter maybe instead?

Sund Rock, Titlow, Owens Beach, Les Davis, Edmonds, Leshi and probably half a dozen other local sites are much closer and more compatible for club dives 'n' BBQs.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Thanks for the trip report and video, Novice! :)

Tom:
I've had Ansell Point and Whytecliff Park in Howe Sound on my to-do list for years now. Charter could be cool too. I'd be up for a trip!
:supz:

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

YellowEye wrote:Thanks for the trip report and video, Novice! :)

Tom:
I've had Ansell Point and Whytecliff Park in Howe Sound on my to-do list for years now. Charter could be cool too. I'd be up for a trip!
:supz:

-Eric
I'll keep you in the loop Eric. I would like to get up there for a couple of days sometime in the near future.
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Post by Seaslave »

Whytecliffe Park is a far better dive site in my opinion. I have done both several times and will continue to dive Whytecliffe from time to time. Lots more life, closer and better dive profile. You could camp at Porteau Cove and dive both sites several times over a weekend. Whytecliffe offers some very deep diving if desired also ;-)

-Mathue
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I was wondering about Whytecliffe Mathue, thanks for mentioning that. I am thinking of an overnight trip and had looked at diving both and your comments confirm that.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

hmm, interesting place, adding to my todo list. :supz:
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.