Playa 2012

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Playa 2012

Post by Bric Martin »

My wife and I just returned from a great trip to Playa Del Carmen.

After flying to Cancun we picked up our shuttle and made our way to Playa. My wife does not dive, she shops. We stay near Playa and I ferry out to Cozumel on my dive days. I have been to this area many times, but this year I changed the shop that I dove with.

This year I dove with Aldora Divers. I really can't say enough about Aldora. They are the best dive operation that I have dove with. Every dive was close to 90 minutes, we dove with steel 120's. Our dive master (Ernesto), was the best dive master that I have ever dove with. He guided us in a general direction and then just let us dive. He knew we were taking pictures so he was very patient. I was disappointed that in the middle of our trip we lost Ernesto For a day. The President of Mexico was on Cozumel for a day of diving and wanted Ernesto as his guide!

The diving was spectacular as always! We had our standard 150 feet of viz and 85 degree water. Cozumel had major hurricane about 6 years ago, it did a lot of damage the the reefs. This year it seemed as if everything had really grown. The diving was really beautiful! In addition to the mountains of coral there were many morays eels, nurse sharks, spotted eagle rays, and schools of fish. We even had some sea horses!
IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_1069.jpg
IMG_1154.jpg
IMG_1196.jpg
IMG_1349.jpg

We spent a few evenings in Playa. We happened to be in town for the "Day of the Dead" celebration. I found some irony in that on the day that they celebrate the dead, we had a presidential election!
IMG_2758.JPG
IMG_2759.JPG

This area has beauty above the surface also. On my non dive days I spent my hours in the ocean or walking the beach with Tammy. The water in the Playa area has to be seen to be believed. The white sand makes the blue water really stand out. I spent my afternoons taking pictures, hunting for sea shells, or just watching the sun set.
IMG_0719.jpg
IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_1438.jpg
IMG_1429.jpg
As always I can't wait to go back.
Last edited by Bric Martin on Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Playa 2012

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report, Bric!

This trip is on my list.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Great shots Bric!

Did you get a cheance to do any Cenote diving?
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Oooo you captured some of my favorite things!! I'm looking at maybe heading back there this spring for a week of diving...I will have to look into that dive op a bit more closely...
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Very nice Bric!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We did our trip in 2007 with Aldora, and I'm with you, Bric, I can't say enough good things about them. They cater to experienced divers, and they run small boats which makes it possible to customize itineraries and profiles. We stayed on Coz at the Villa Aldora, which is a VERY nice place to stay, and they will pick you up there if the weather permits docking.

The whole area around Playa is really extraordinarily beautiful, with white sand beaches and turquoise water. I loved your pictures -- we're leaving tomorrow for a week of cave diving down there!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Wow Bric, the Wife and I will be there for a week in the first part of March... I can't wait. I've finally got her to get her OW and she starts in Feb, to be able to dive while we are down there. Should be great time.

This will be by first time down there, and I too will be using aldora.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

:supz: Great pictures and trip report, Bric. Makes me want to get back down there sometime soon.

Glad to have you back up here in the cold water.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Nice report Bric. Did you by any chance get to dive on the "other" side, check out the old spanish shipwreck? Aldora is one of the few, if not the only, op to dive that side. We have tried to get in on that dive for the last few years, but the boat is always full or the weather doesnt cooperate!
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

We didn't make it to the other side of the island. It just makes it a very long day, and there is great diving close by! I really can't stress how good Aldora is! I wish I would have started diving with them years ago. They will work with you to make your dives really enjoyable. If you have a site that you want to dive they will work it into the days profile.

Like I said earlier, I really can't wait to go back!
Attachments
IMG_0914.jpg
IMG_1343.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1023.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Amazing shots! I'll have to look into this Aldora. I think my first dives on Cozumel were with Angel dive, who do 45 minute dives regardless of tank pressure. Thanks for the report.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Makes me want to be there. We did our first warm water dives with Aldora in 1996. Ruined us for cold water for 15 years.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome pics! Love the toadfish.