My Daughter's Experience in St. Croix

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

My Daughter's Experience in St. Croix

Post by johndo88 »

I am posting my daughter's experience. She is currently in St. Croix and just got certified. The following is from her final certification dive:

"Dana, my friend and scuba instructor, and I went out on my third dive to 60ft. Immediately I was noticing the differences in colors and sizes on the reef. We went to The Wall, which is an underwater cliff that reaches down 2,000ft. I'll let that sink in for a moment.

There we were, kneeling on the edge of The Wall, looking out into the blue abyss that is the magnificent Caribbean sea. and we heard them,,,, Humpback songs. Whales. Singing! We were being hit by whale song sound waves! Whales that were miles away.

I could have cried it was so magical. I hadn't been able to think about much else for the remainder of the dive."

Her mother and I think she's hooked. It's going to be a dramatic change when she experiences NW diving for the first time.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: My Daughter's Experience in St. Croix

Post by Norris »

johndo88 wrote:I am posting my daughter's experience. She is currently in St. Croix and just got certified. The following is from her final certification dive:

"Dana, my friend and scuba instructor, and I went out on my third dive to 60ft. Immediately I was noticing the differences in colors and sizes on the reef. We went to The Wall, which is an underwater cliff that reaches down 2,000ft. I'll let that sink in for a moment.

There we were, kneeling on the edge of The Wall, looking out into the blue abyss that is the magnificent Caribbean sea. and we heard them,,,, Humpback songs. Whales. Singing! We were being hit by whale song sound waves! Whales that were miles away.

I could have cried it was so magical. I hadn't been able to think about much else for the remainder of the dive."

Her mother and I think she's hooked. It's going to be a dramatic change when she experiences NW diving for the first time.
Thats just great. I bet it was AWESOME! I have yet to hear whale song underwater.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
seattlepaul1975
Compulsive Diver

Post by seattlepaul1975 »

That is awesome!

I hope to be so lucky with my dives in Thailand in a couple of weeks.
Last edited by seattlepaul1975 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Great story! That will be one of the magical moments in her life, one of many more come!
Last edited by Bric Martin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Great story! That will be one of the magical moments in her life, one of many more come!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

You can say that again....... :rofl: :rofl:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That's a beautiful story. But can I bit a bit of a curmudgeon and say I would have liked it better had she not said she was KNEELING on the edge of the reef?

If she gets hooked, there's plenty of time to cure that, though :) The most important thing is the joy.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

We hear humbacks on most dives in February here in PR but diving in St Croix is much nicer! The reefs from shore here in NW PR are mostly dead but the whales are realy a treat.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

LCF wrote:...I would have liked it better had she not said she was KNEELING on the edge of the reef?...
Excellent point. My daughter (Karie) is very concerned about the environment. The PADI instructor she was diving with studied "biological, marine, and environmental sciences" then went on to study "...in South Caicos, TCI for half a year looking at correlations of urchins, conch, and lobster in relation to hard corals and algae, while falling in love with the Caribbean." Last year "..she began working on her Masters in Biological Sciences at Long Island University, and found the opportunity to do research on stony coral depth profiles and disease identification in St. Croix."

All this to say you bring up an excellent point and I agree with you; I hope Karie made a poor choice in choosing her words and was only kneeling on sand. If not, it's GUE for her when she gets back later this year. :)

(P.S. Just because she's 27 doesn't mean I give up the right to check up on her from time to time. Gotta love the Internet.)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wonderful story!

I heard whale song underwater for the first time a few weeks ago when diving in Sitka Alaska. Amazing and magical!

Oh, and BTW, you can be an excellent, non coral destroying, non kneeling on the bottom diver without GUE training. :) Just saying.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

johndo88 wrote:
LCF wrote:...I would have liked it better had she not said she was KNEELING on the edge of the reef?...
Excellent point. My daughter (Karie) is very concerned about the environment. The PADI instructor she was diving with studied "biological, marine, and environmental sciences" then went on to study "...in South Caicos, TCI for half a year looking at correlations of urchins, conch, and lobster in relation to hard corals and algae, while falling in love with the Caribbean." Last year "..she began working on her Masters in Biological Sciences at Long Island University, and found the opportunity to do research on stony coral depth profiles and disease identification in St. Croix."

All this to say you bring up an excellent point and I agree with you; I hope Karie made a poor choice in choosing her words and was only kneeling on sand. If not, it's GUE for her when she gets back later this year. :)

(P.S. Just because she's 27 doesn't mean I give up the right to check up on her from time to time. Gotta love the Internet.)
im sure the Boat anchors from the dive charter boats do more damage to reefs than divers Kneeling on reefs... give me a break people :nutty:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H20doctor wrote:
im sure the Boat anchors from the dive charter boats do more damage to reefs than divers Kneeling on reefs... give me a break people :nutty:
Chris, no doubt the severity if the damage from a boat anchor may be worse, but it's a point impact. (small area) Divers with poor buoyancy/situational awareness can impact a much wider area of the reef. In addition to that the 2 WW charters I've done either tied into existing moorings, or anchored in the sand off the reef.

John it sounds like your daughter had an amazing experience.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

My daughter is now back from St. Croix. :)
She accumulated 11 dives in St. Croix. And I can finally answer the question, was she and her DM sitting on coral. The answer is NO. They were sitting in what Karie describes as a sandy channel. Still, a good discussion.
Cheers
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

My daughter is home for Christmas this year and she and I did a NW dive. Quite a shock for her, first dive since St. Croix. 56 degree water was a shock, but she did really well. She was cold wearing a semi-dry suit, and didn't want to get out after 26 minutes in Cove 2. She did get to see the GPO under the Honey Bear. Father and Daughter getting to dive together for the first time on Christmas. Doesn't get much better. :)
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

johndo88 wrote:Father and Daughter getting to dive together for the first time on Christmas. Doesn't get much better.

=D>
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

H20doctor wrote:im sure the Boat anchors from the dive charter boats do more damage to reefs than divers Kneeling on reefs... give me a break people :nutty:
The charters in the Bahamas (for instance) all use established moorings, the people cause all the damage - and its widespread and extensive too.

I have never been to St. Croix.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

johndo88 wrote:My daughter is home for Christmas this year and she and I did a NW dive. Quite a shock for her, first dive since St. Croix. 56 degree water was a shock, but she did really well. She was cold wearing a semi-dry suit, and didn't want to get out after 26 minutes in Cove 2. She did get to see the GPO under the Honey Bear. Father and Daughter getting to dive together for the first time on Christmas. Doesn't get much better. :)
That's awesome! :)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That's a fabulous story (and that's one big octo, too!)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Wonderful stories ... but where are you finding 56 degree water in Cove 2 this time of year? My computer's registering more like 46 ... which is really cold for someone in a semi-dry. Tip my hat to the young lady ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

If you ever go to Maui, whale song can be heard from Dec- May. If you listen carefully, whale song can be heard most every dive. Indeed, magical.
LowDrag
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by LowDrag »

Her log entry is very cool...I wish I hadn't missed this one last year. I looked forward to hearing whale song some day.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Grateful Diver wrote:Wonderful stories ... but where are you finding 56 degree water in Cove 2 this time of year... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Atomic dive computer. I have no reason to think it's not accurate, but then I've never checked. Hmmm....
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Grateful Diver wrote:...My computer's registering more like 46 ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Okay, looks like my Cobalt can't read temperatures well. Two days ago it read 59 degrees at Cove 1. When I downloaded the dive to the Logbook software, the data in the logbook says it was 41 degrees. I then updated the DiveOS firmware on the Cobalt to the latest release, and now the temperature display is way off (6 degrees in my living room) and the atmospheric pressure now reads 0 mBars. By comparison, my wife's Cobalt (which I have NOT updated) reads 72 degrees and 986 mBars. I have an email in to Tech Support today. Looks like your computer is more accurate than mine. :)
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Its good that your daughter is got the certificate after the last dive and i am also make plan for the dive in St.Croix in the December i have plan for the tour of St.Croix...