ThThTh 3/5

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

ThThTh 3/5

Post by YellowEye »

Hi!
DLH, scubajess, mightymouse, kr2y5 and I dove ThThTh last night. We were also joined by Rooinater and his buddy, who were scootering there.

DLH and I went out separately to try to get some pictures of the octo on eggs. We found the octo -- super beautiful. Unfortunately, it was extremely difficult to get a photo of in its position. I got nothing! Maybe Dave got something. We will have to try again with a different configuration.

We also saw several squid nests, and even a squid hovering the area! Lots of seastars were to be found, but some were dying. Some alabasters and yellow dorids, but not much else nudi action.

ScubaJess, mightmouse and kr2y5 went separately, I'll have to let them report separately on their *cool* finds.
The helmet crabs were out!
The helmet crabs were out!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: ThThTh 3/5

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic Crab shot! :goodpost:

Last night was great with the ThThTh crew, swam all over the place :mermaid: and saw a lot of cool critters.

I saw a Rat Rish, Super cute pink snail fish and a really cool Skate Fish!!! :funky: Also tons of hermit crabs, lots of peach colored stars, and some large plumos anemonies, a varity of sculpins & pipe fish... but no shrimp :-({|= ... I was supposed to lead us to the trailer and boat to find the octo on eggs, but I couldn't find it :pirate: . Hopefully next time I will have better luck! This dive was 40 min and max depth 71 feet, the viz was ok.

Thanks to the ThThTh crew for diving with me! :grouphug:
I hope you all have a great weekend!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

We did laps, saw the cabin cruiser, tire reefs, saw some stuff in the junkyard, zoomed in circles, shot back over to the tire reefs, swam near the entrance, and called it a dive. Viz wasn't too terrible near the cruiser, till somewhere between the tire reefs and the junkyard and beyond the junkyard it was a weird haze. Somewhere past 80' and deeper it got really bad viz as well. Great dive though.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Any shots of the dieing seastars?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

A few, I can send them to you when I get home.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Tom Nic wrote:Any shots of the dieing seastars?
Hi Tom!

Here's one:
DSC_8003.jpg
Been diving? We miss you at the ThThTh crew!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

ScubaJess wrote:Fantastic Crab shot! :goodpost:

Last night was great with the ThThTh crew, swam all over the place :mermaid: and saw a lot of cool critters.

I saw a Rat Rish, Super cute pink snail fish and a really cool Skate Fish!!! :funky: Also tons of hermit crabs, lots of peach colored stars, and some large plumos anemonies, a varity of sculpins & pipe fish... but no shrimp :-({|= ... I was supposed to lead us to the trailer and boat to find the octo on eggs, but I couldn't find it :pirate: . Hopefully next time I will have better luck! This dive was 40 min and max depth 71 feet, the viz was ok.

Thanks to the ThThTh crew for diving with me! :grouphug:
I hope you all have a great weekend!
You were so lucky to see that skate! :supz:

You forgot to tell everybody about your "golf ball crab" :)

ScubaJess was describing to me a crab that looked like it had a golf ball attached to it. Hmm? Golfball crab? I didn't think they had those in these parts! Ah.... turned out it was a hermit with a moon snail on the back which was perfectly golf ball shaped! :rofl:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

YellowEye wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:Any shots of the dieing seastars?
Hi Tom!

Here's one:
DSC_8003.jpg
Been diving? We miss you at the ThThTh crew!
Bummer.

Hoped we were starting to move past that...
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

We had a fantastic dive at Three Tree. The GPO on Eggs was a major highlight. Photos and Videos were taken!

This was only my second time at the sight, and the first time I encountered all of the objects. Speedboat, Sat Dish, Boat Trailer, various toilets. I look forward to exploring this site again!

GPO on Eggs:
phpBB [video]

Three Tree March 5 2015 (6 of 12).jpg
Dave
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Here are some more photos from the the dive.
Three Tree March 5 2015 (5 of 12).jpg
Three Tree March 5 2015 (4 of 12).jpg
Three Tree March 5 2015 (11 of 12).jpg
Three Tree March 5 2015 (10 of 12).jpg
Three Tree March 5 2015 (3 of 12).jpg
Dave
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Finally, we found several squid egg clusters, but just one very busy squid.

phpBB [video]

Three Tree March 5 2015 (8 of 12).jpg
Three Tree March 5 2015 (9 of 12).jpg
Dave
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Super cool videos & pictures! Me have to go back! I'm so sad I missed the Octo on regs! Also those squid shots are great & I like the ones of YellowEye in action with his camera!
Hope everyone's having a nice weekend! I just got back from a night dive at cove2. It was a lot of fun but I didn't see any seals! But I did see tons of shrimp and hermit crabs! :) I'm headed to Edmonds UWP in the morning to see big fish! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice pics/video Dave!
How'd the sunset video turn out on the bigscreen? That looked pretty cool too!
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

YellowEye wrote:Nice pics/video Dave!
How'd the sunset video turn out on the bigscreen? That looked pretty cool too!
Crank up the volume for this one...

phpBB [video]
Dave
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Sooooo beautiful!!!!
Can't wait to go back!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Very nice!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dave,

Very nice WA shots. Can I ask what settings and lens you use to get such even lighting? I always seem to have light/dark areas when shooting wa. It maybe be due to my fisheye lens. But not 100% sure. Thanks

Jesse
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

+1
The lighting you got on that whole satellite dish was quite impressive!
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Scubie Doo wrote:Dave,

Very nice WA shots. Can I ask what settings and lens you use to get such even lighting? I always seem to have light/dark areas when shooting wa. It maybe be due to my fisheye lens. But not 100% sure. Thanks

Jesse
Hey Jesse,

I used a 16-35mm in an 8.5" dome on a Nikon D800 for this dive. I have a pair of Ikelite DS-161 strobes. Everything was shot at ISO 250 (camera base is 100) & 1/60th shutter. The aperture ranged from f6.3 on the super wide Satellite dish to f14 on some of the macro squid shots. I tend to keep the strobe power as low as possible and keep the strobes angled a few degree outside on fully extended arms to avoid backscatter. I bump the ISO to 250 to compensate for keeping the strobe power low.

For the satellite dish, I turned up the strobe power from 25% to about 75%. I only needed to pump up the Exposure & Highlights by a bit less than 1 stop in Lightroom to get decent brightness, and the image didn't need shadow recovery at all.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dave,

Awesome info, thank you. I suspect my 15mm fisheye is grabbing a little "extra" strobe light since it is so wide. I'm going to try my 17-40mm and see what kind of results I can get. Thanks again for the info.

Jesse
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Scubie Doo wrote:Dave,

Awesome info, thank you. I suspect my 15mm fisheye is grabbing a little "extra" strobe light since it is so wide. I'm going to try my 17-40mm and see what kind of results I can get. Thanks again for the info.

Jesse
I have the Sigma 15mm lens and love it in clear tropical water. It focuses really fast and gets sharper edges than anything else. But it is definitely a challenge to use it in the normally "less the ideal" conditions of the PNW... Are you using it with a full frame camera?
Dave
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Cool info, I'm going to have to try lowering power more often. Your camera's better high iso behavior probably helps you a bit though?

Here's an example shot of the same satellite dish I had:
DSC_7961.jpg
:-({|=

This was just one crappy quick shot but shows a couple problems, I think: (and I think I have these problems often)
+ Right strobe shining into the scene. Probably just a nudge outward and away would help (reducing backscatter too)
+ Right-most anemone not lit up. Hmm??
+ Left strobe underpowered. I have a ds125 on that side, it was likely not able to match the power of the 161 on the right.
+ Dropping the teleconverter off my setup could help reduce subject-lens difference?

Let me know what you think
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

YellowEye wrote:Cool info, I'm going to have to try lowering power more often. Your camera's better high iso behavior probably helps you a bit though?

Here's an example shot of the same satellite dish I had:
:-({|=

This was just one crappy quick shot but shows a couple problems, I think: (and I think I have these problems often)
+ Right strobe shining into the scene. Probably just a nudge outward and away would help (reducing backscatter too)
+ Right-most anemone not lit up. Hmm??
+ Left strobe underpowered. I have a ds125 on that side, it was likely not able to match the power of the 161 on the right.
+ Dropping the teleconverter off my setup could help reduce subject-lens difference?

Let me know what you think
The ISO is not a factor, all of these camera can easily give a good image well upto 1600 or more. 100-400 is good for almost any purpose with little sacrifice in quality.

I think you teleconverter is ok too.

What was your aperture on this shot? It looks pretty dim, it should f8 or wider (lower #) for best results. I took a close up photo of the top of dome and it was quite bright and well exposed. If you are using the TTL feature of your housing, be sure to switch to manual power settings when doing wide angle. The TTL circuit does not do a good job with WA in my experience.
Dave