Monterey Bay

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Monterey Bay

Post by dphershman »

The last few years I've been fortunate to go down to Monterey at least once each year and have hooked up with a local seaslug expert, Brenna Green and her husband Brian. A few weeks ago I spent a couple of days diving with them on the Beach Hopper, my favorite Monterey dive charter.

a couple of dives were just off the Monterey Aquarium

Monterey has many of the same species of critters that we have, except there are some exceptions and once in awhile you can see some life that is more unique to southern locations.

Here's a common nudibranch in Puget Sound, a Leopard Nudibranch. Here in Puget Sound the spots tend to be splotchy, but in coast regions like Monterey the spots turn into dark little 'cheerios' symmetrically aligned on the body.

The Spanish Shawl is a southern slug that is sometimes seen here along the washington coast, but I've never seen one north of Monterey.

The most unique find was a large number of Chromodoris mcfarlandi, a southern slug I've seen in the Channel Islands but never in Monterey. Behrens puts Monterey as its northernmost range, but Brenna had never seen one north of Carmel so it was exciting to come across them. El Nino may have been responsible for a number of slugs coming north, time will tell if these stick around.

Here's something else that was fun to see: a shark egg case, aka 'Mermaid's Purse". The yellow yolk is a baby shark in waiting.

My visit was at the tail end of a mass entrance of pelagic crabs into the bay. We saw plenty of these in the water, at around 10-20 feet. Unfortunately they were simply too fast to capture with my still camera, but I did capture some footage with my GoPro. You can see them in the youtube video here https://youtu.be/m7-OwlSherA

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Monterey Bay

Post by Scubie Doo »

Awesome write up and photos! That third photo is amazing. I'd love to see one of those.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

And video :) the viz and conditions looked great. I even heard the tropical "crackling" sounds. Did you use a fisheye for the video?
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

cute Nudies! :)
Great shots!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Great stuff Dan, loved the video too!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Scubie Doo wrote:And video :) the viz and conditions looked great. I even heard the tropical "crackling" sounds. Did you use a fisheye for the video?
The video was shot with a GoPro camera, so its a 'fisheye' above water but slightly less so underwater. The crackling sound is present in just about every dive, I've decided that its actually made by the housing itself... perhaps the hatch crunching against the main housing body as it is contracted by the pressure.
Dan Hershman :smt024
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Monterey Bay

Post by Scubie Doo »

dphershman wrote:
Scubie Doo wrote:And video :) the viz and conditions looked great. I even heard the tropical "crackling" sounds. Did you use a fisheye for the video?
The video was shot with a GoPro camera, so its a 'fisheye' above water but slightly less so underwater. The crackling sound is present in just about every dive, I've decided that its actually made by the housing itself... perhaps the hatch crunching against the main housing body as it is contracted by the pressure.
Yeah, not sure. I hear it often on tropical dives without a housing. Just thought it sounded like the dive crackling I've experienced before. :)
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Great pics Dan.
Thanks for posting!!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"