$#%#$% IT! I have to dive tonight!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

$#%#$% IT! I have to dive tonight!

Post by Dmitchell »

I got a call this morning that one of the local landing craft has a line in it's wheel. They need me to cut it out.

I can't get there until after 6:00 tonight which means that the air temp will be about -3 F by then and the wind blowing 45mph. I'll have to hike through snow drifts and bust through the ice to get into the water.

I need to charge more!

Dave
Dave Mitchell
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Perhaps you SHOULD charge more... you're the one in control of your prices.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

Have your kids pack it down for u...geees...or yea charge more....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Don't worry, I made good money last night.

Left my shop at 6:00 was in the water by 6:15. The air was about -3, don't know what the water was but it was steaming (looked like a hot tub). Was in the water for 90 minutes. Destroyed 3 knives and was just about to give up and go home when it finally came out.

Rushed out of the water, stripped my gear off as it was freezing to me. Threw it in the truck, go paid and got out of there.

Didn't notice how cold I was until I got home hauled the block of ice that my suit had become into the house and dropped it in the garage floor where it still lays. Went inside and then it hit me, I'm freezing!

It took me the rest of the night to warm back up. I looked really funny at the dinner table with a stocking cap on.

Woke up in the middle of the night and my hands were all swollen from being so cold. (wet gloves).

Got up this morning and it was -17 F you should see the rest of my gear that still in the back of my truck. Talk about a hunk of ice.

Now the forecast says 80 mph winds 2 feet of snow this weekend.

Just got to make it through the week - I'm off to Catalina next Friday!

DM
Dave Mitchell
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Make sure you watch out for USO's when diving Catalina there are supposed to lots of sightings there!
hoover
Frequent Bubbler

Post by hoover »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Make sure you watch out for USO's when diving Catalina there are supposed to lots of sightings there!
Just in case you were wondering (like I was) what USOs are...here is the definition. :)

U.S.O.: Unidentified Submerged Objects, ufological phenomena in the hydrosphere (splash-down or take-off from the waters).

Taken from here:
http://www.ufopsi.com/glossary/glossary_U.html
Josh
Just Settling In

Post by Josh »

hoover wrote:
sheahanmcculla wrote:Make sure you watch out for USO's when diving Catalina there are supposed to lots of sightings there!
Just in case you were wondering (like I was) what USOs are...here is the definition. :)

U.S.O.: Unidentified Submerged Objects, ufological phenomena in the hydrosphere (splash-down or take-off from the waters).

Taken from here:
http://www.ufopsi.com/glossary/glossary_U.html
hahaha "USOs" That's awesome..
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dave, you need a Viking suit with dry-hood, full-face mask, and dry gloves. You'll be SOOOOOOO Much warmer (nothing gets wet). When I was a kid I helped my Dad do winter bridge inspections for State of Idaho in that setup and it can't be beat for ice diving. Ice diving in wet gloves... Man, you are tough!

-Ben