Rebreather information seminar FREE

Re-learning buoyancy skills or have questions (or answers) about diving a CCR or SCR? The No Bubble Zone is the place to discuss rebreather diving.
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Rebreather Tryout...June 29th, near Seattle

Post by Gill Envy »

Ad can be found HERE.

This post has been removed:
Can everyone please stop promoting this event this way? It's a paid event, therefore promotions are, in fact, advertisement. I went to the last one; I'm going to this one, too, and I'm excited about it; but these posts are a violation of our policy, and this is the third one in two days I've had to delete-

Thank you

Josh
Last edited by Gill Envy on Fri May 30, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
mancub
Dive-aholic

Re: Rebreather Tryout...June 29th, near Seattle

Post by mancub »

My dive buddy and I will be there. Talked to Curt at the Tacoma Expo and signed up. Looking forward to silent pool diving and maybe running into some of you finally!

See you there.
-Jacob
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Gill Envy wrote:Ad can be found HERE.

Can everyone please stop promoting this event this way? It's a paid event, therefore promotions are, in fact, advertisement. I went to the last one; I'm going to this one, too, and I'm excited about it; but these posts are a violation of our policy, and this is the third one in two days I've had to delete-

Thank you

Should have pointed out that it was me who wrote that part above. Sorry, George- but this is the third spontaneous post about this event I've had to censor......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Honestly, removing it and simply PM'ing me would feel more respectful than putting words in my mouth :angryfire: , so I at least signed your name for you. I was unaware of a TOS that states that a member of the board can't recommend an event or instructors that they have found to be outstanding. I can certainly see how you'd want to promote "fee for advertising" and apply that policy to businesses, but preventing someone who has no financial or business connection to the given business from simply stating that they recommend rebreather try outs, and a particular one, is pretty backward if you ask me. this policy stands to squelch the open sharing of preferences and experience, which is what I thought such a board was all about.

Can someone explain to me what this policy is trying to accomplish? :dontknow:
Gill Envy

mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

preventing someone who has no financial or business connection to the given business from simply stating that they recommend rebreather try outs, and a particular one, is pretty backward if you ask me. this policy stands to squelch the open sharing of preferences and experience, which is what I thought such a board was all about.

Can someone explain to me what this policy is trying to accomplish?
Agreed. With the amount of positive feedback from NWDC CCR divers who have taken classes from these particular instructors, I'd have guessed everyone was promoting an event like this already...

However, by all means take the post down if you'd like, I am already signed up and did not find out through this site.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

The requirements for posting classes for which fees are paid are specific and clear. The actual promoters of this event, Silent Scuba, are aware of these requirements and followed through on them completely and appropriately. As a result, the official announcement for this event has appeared in the NWDC "classes, listings, shops sales and events" forum for quite some time and has even been "bumped" by Nailer as a reminder so that even more members will see it and be reminded. You can view it here: http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4575

The line was crossed when the original poster of this thread started citing what was included, prices, times, etc. thereby going well beyond "support" of his instructor and entering the realm of obvious and direct advertising.

Indeed, many of us here on NWDC have attended these events in the past and/or have received training through Silent Scuba. I, myself, intend to be there ONCE AGAIN, (this will be my 4th "CCR Experience"), to help promote CCRs and to photograph both the event and the participants.

The fact that we SUPPORT this event does NOT mean that we will allow the rules established here to be broken just because it is our friends that are involved. The advertising requirements on NWDC apply to everyone.

Having said that, I hope to see many NWDC members there, and I'm looking forward to meeting you!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

Thanks everyone for the support you are showing for the upcoming "Rebreather Experience".

I understand Josh and John's position on this and ask that everyone please play by the rules which have now been clearly and graciously explained.

John and Josh have always been a big supporter of this event and they are just doing their job as moderator's on this board.

Sincerely,

Curt McNamee
Silent Scuba, LLc
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Gill Envy wrote:Honestly, removing it and simply PM'ing me would feel more respectful than putting words in my mouth :angryfire: , so I at least signed your name for you.
You're right- I should have handled it differently, and I apologize for that. I think Rawlings explained the board's position on this pretty well.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Hey John, thanks for your explanation. first off I have no financial connection to Mel and Curt and am not part of their business. Out of simple support I attempted to post a comment on the thread with the add and was unable to do so, I thought folks might be missing it. It just seemed kind of wierd to not be able to throw in the vote of a happy consumer, so I cut and pasted pertenant information into a thread where I could make a comment. I'm sorry I crossed a line and violated a policy that I was unaware pertained to non-commercial members. I sort of see that mentioning time/place and price might be seen as advertising but on the other hand, asking someone not to share pertenant information about an event they are enthusiastic about seems unnecessarily restrictive and is the first time i've run into it on such a board.

I would humbly ask that you reconsider this policy and allow non-commercial members to express their preferences and enthusiasms openly, even if that sounds a bit like shameless promotion at times... that's just my o2 cents though, i'll surely abide by the policies of this site if posting.
Gill Envy

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Gill Envy wrote:Hey John, thanks for your explanation. first off I have no financial connection to Mel and Curt and am not part of their business. Out of simple support I attempted to post a comment on the thread with the add and was unable to do so, I thought folks might be missing it. It just seemed kind of wierd to not be able to throw in the vote of a happy consumer, so I cut and pasted pertenant information into a thread where I could make a comment. I'm sorry I crossed a line and violated a policy that I was unaware pertained to non-commercial members. I sort of see that mentioning time/place and price might be seen as advertising but on the other hand, asking someone not to share pertenant information about an event they are enthusiastic about seems unnecessarily restrictive and is the first time i've run into it on such a board.

I would humbly ask that you reconsider this policy and allow non-commercial members to express their preferences and enthusiasms openly, even if that sounds a bit like shameless promotion at times... that's just my o2 cents though, i'll surely abide by the policies of this site if posting.
This is a matter being discussed by those of us that run the site right now- advertisers should be allowed to garner feedback, and perhaps even update their own ads- we're working on it, at any rate.

Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

This is a matter being discussed by those of us that run the site right now- advertisers should be allowed to garner feedback, and perhaps even update their own ads- we're working on it, at any rate.[/quote]

thanks for considering it! =D>

My posting the reminder was not out of being a friend of Mel and Curt's per sey. I'm someone who found it very difficult to get good information about rebreathers in the beginning and have consistently found that the way that Mel and Curt portrayed the world of rebreathers to be honest, accurate, forthright and ultimately with the best interest of the diver in mind... even if that meant someone going with a different trainer. this is purely the basis for my posting information about their event.

I hope you find some way to allow people who do not have a commercial interest in a product, service or event to openly state their opinions and preferences, even with details pertaining to such.

kind regards,
george
Gill Envy

Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Let me try this again:

I attended a rebreather tryout about two and a half years ago... I was like a kid in a candy shop! It was very exciting to get a good look at each model and to take each one for a spin in a pool and get to talk to folks who have a lot of first hand experience. Even if you never buy one, it's a great opportunity to get an up close and personal perspective and totally worth the nominal fee, which is about the cost of a magazine subscription and hey, you actually get one included
(and a pretty amazing magazine at that!). Getting some basic first hand experience helped make it clear to me that I wanted to take the plunge and get into this amazing sport.

I have a high regard for Mel and Curt who are putting on the tryout on June 29th, near Seattle. Check out the add for the cost, time, location and other details. There is a link to the add in the first post of this thread.

If you've been wanting to get your feet wet in the world of rebreathers, come check this event out.

george
Gill Envy

Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

The pool session is almost full ( just a few spots left) so we are now opening up the class session to anyone interested for free.

We will also have Dive X Scooters for you to try in the pool.
Curt McNamee
scubagrunt
Avid Diver

Rebreather information seminar FREE

Post by scubagrunt »

If you have an interest in rebreathers or just want to learn about how they work please feel free to join Mel and Curt on Sunday June 29th at 10 am in Mill Creek Washington. This seminar is designed to give you an understanding of the principles of rebreather operation, how to use them and how to be a buddy to a rebreather diver. We will have the KISS classic, Megalodon, Inspiration and the new rEvo rebreathers at the show. If you have ever wanted to see the inner workings of these machines, or just get a hands on with them this is your chance. The seminar is 10 am to 12 noon. If you are interested in joining for the rebreather experience please email curt at flyingcash@gmail.com or call curt at 425-418-1425. The event will take place at the Mill Creek pool; please do not call the pool for information as they do not have any information to share about this event. For more information on this event look here: http://www.silentscuba.com
West Coast Aquatic Center:
15622 Country Club Dr
Mill Creek, WA 98012
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Curt McNamee wrote:The pool session is almost full ( just a few spots left) so we are now opening up the class session to anyone interested for free.

We will also have Dive X Scooters for you to try in the pool.
Rebreathers and x-scooters?? Geez... folks, bring your credit cards. I don't know about the CCR, but once you've piloted an x-scooter, you'll become very creative in finding a way to pay for one!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Oh my....I just signed up myself and a buddy....very excited!! :bounce:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:Oh my....I just signed up myself and a buddy....very excited!! :bounce:
Like I said - bring your checkbook. :pale:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:
scottsax wrote:Oh my....I just signed up myself and a buddy....very excited!! :bounce:
I don't know what your average daily balance is in your checkbook, but I'm thinking a platinum card might be more in order. #-o
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

scottsax wrote:
Sounder wrote:
I don't know what your average daily balance is in your checkbook, but I'm thinking a platinum card might be more in order. #-o
Well, it depends on cash-on-hand versus how many points you get for putting it on your card... when I order my scooter, it'll go on my card before I write a check. WAAAY too many points to pass up!! #-o
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Rebreather information seminar FREE

Post by Joshua Smith »

Merged Mel's topic w/ Gill envy's.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Is this an Olympic sized pool?? A scooter (any scooter nevermind an X) in a pool just seems like sacriledge!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

CaptnJack wrote:Is this an Olympic sized pool?? A scooter (any scooter nevermind an X) in a pool just seems like sacriledge!
Yes, it is a very big pool and the dive-X scooter will make short work of it.
Curt McNamee
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Curt McNamee wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Is this an Olympic sized pool?? A scooter (any scooter nevermind an X) in a pool just seems like sacriledge!
Yes, it is a very big pool and the dive-X scooter will make short work of it.
Kind of like boat racing... "go really fast, turn left..."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote: Kind of like boat racing... "go really fast, turn left..."
I'm there for the crashes :occasion5:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

We have 2 spots left for the pool session, anyone else that wants to show up for the seminar portion is welcome at no charge.
Curt McNamee