Suunto Vyper 2 Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer with Compass

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Suunto Vyper 2 Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer with Compass

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I know I am opening a can of worms I bet. Any recreational divers use the Suunto Vyper 2 Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer with Electronic Compass? What are your plus and minuses. OH and you tech and other divers can tell me if you have it and what you think. I am pretty much staying recreational I am sure.

OH did anyone at the DUI demo day on saturday see or find a Dive rite nitek duo computer near a chair on the drysuit removal area. Do they have a lost and found? Yes I am thinking to contact DUI and ask them also but thought I would ask here also. Divers are honest people right?? <<<<< I bet this get some interesting comments BUT you guys be nice now. :crybaby:
Jeff Castor
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Suunto Vyper 2 Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer with Compass

Post by Sounder »

Suunto has a history of being quite conservative - like dive-limiting conservative. I've never owned one, but this tends to be a trend.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Conservatism is not in itself a bad thing. I kind of like it, myself, but I'm old and not in the best of shape.

I believe Wylerbear has that model, check with her.

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Conservatism is not in itself a bad thing. I kind of like it, myself, but I'm old and not in the best of shape.

I believe Wylerbear has that model, check with her.

-Valerie
It's defintiely a valid argument.

I've just been limited more than I wanted to on dives where someone was diving a Suunto computer. This is actually one of the primary experiences that solidified my desire for BT diving (but the BT v. Computer discussion doesn't belong in this thread).

Course, then I go jump party-lines and get involved with Liquivision \:D/ :bounce: :supz: ... a computer company. #-o :dontknow:
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

I've actually found that the Suunto and Tusa computers seem to synch up pretty well as far as limits. I dive with a Tusa, Wylerbear a Suunto, and since we dive a lot together, it's never been a problem. I started off with an Aeris, and they are definitely NOT conservative, in any way, shape or form.

'course, having been bent once may have something to do with my non-issue regarding conservatism too...

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:I've actually found that the Suunto and Tusa computers seem to synch up pretty well as far as limits. I dive with a Tusa, Wylerbear a Suunto, and since we dive a lot together, it's never been a problem. I started off with an Aeris, and they are definitely NOT conservative, in any way, shape or form.

'course, having been bent once may have something to do with my non-issue regarding conservatism too...

-Valerie
Interesting. Are there various conserv-settings one can choose from on the Suunto units? The only real experience was diving with a friend who had a Suunto that seemed to prefer snorkeling to diving.

Val, I think you need an X1. :evil4:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I was looking at the manual and there are 3 modes to change to for how conservative it gets. P0/P1/P3
P0 being the least and P3 being the most. It is suppose to be dependant on your physical limits and such. I know it can and will lock in the ERROR mode if you go outside its limits and it says you have to wait 48hours before you dive again. I dont know if it has a reset button cause I know my Nitek Duo did but never had to use it cause it was not a conservative dive computer. I just did not like the download docking station and it only kept about 22 dives in the memory once I got longer bottom times.
Jeff Castor
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

OK I guess I could ask what dive computer do you have and give me the pros and cons.
Jeff Castor
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Sounder wrote:
Can I get a special price if I highlight it in a video? \:D/

-Valerie
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:
Sounder wrote:
Can I get a special price if I highlight it in a video? \:D/

-Valerie
PM sent...

Pogi - I'm now diving a Liquivision X1. It's WAY more computer (and more money than you need to spend) than you'll ever need if you don't have technical plans, but it's the BOMB when it comes to diving computers.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

pogiguy05 wrote:Well I know I am opening a can of worms I bet. Any recreational divers use the Suunto Vyper 2 Air/Nitrox Wrist Computer with Electronic Compass? What are your plus and minuses. OH and you tech and other divers can tell me if you have it and what you think. I am pretty much staying recreational I am sure.

OH did anyone at the DUI demo day on Saturday see or find a Dive rite nitek duo computer near a chair on the drysuit removal area. Do they have a lost and found? Yes I am thinking to contact DUI and ask them also but thought I would ask here also. Divers are honest people right?? <<<<< I bet this get some interesting comments BUT you guys be nice now. :crybaby:
If you are going to spend that kind of money on a computer, why not spend a little more and get one that you will not out grow and is used commercially and by the military. Take a good look at the comparison chart on the link below.

http://www.divecochran.com/cgi-local/ge ... parison.pl

For open circuit I like having a integrated computer and the Gemini tracks my sac rate and will adjust the deco based on your work level. It also has automatic gas switching for the second gas. Many times on shore dives I will not even go on my 50% depending on the profile I have dove. why wast the expensive gas if you don't need to.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I dove with a Suunto for many years. I liked it, but it was conservative. Also, it didn't like reverse profiles at all. If you are typically doing 1-2 dives a day, you will find it to suit your needs.

Jeff...are you looking for wrist mount, or consule?
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Wrist mount suites me and I have already ordered and gotten mine. I understand the conservative side and I guess safer is better. Just follow the DECO if it happens and you will not get locked out with the ERROR mode.As long as my dive buddies know I will follow my computer so if you take off early from the safety stop your on your own. Hate to be a fuddy buddy but if you make the Suunto lock in ERROR mode it takes 48 hours to reset. I am only recreational diving and dont see getting into tech so should be no problems. Thanks for your info and I look forward to White Demo day. :toimonster:
Jeff Castor
RSdancey
Avid Diver

Post by RSdancey »

I dive a Suunto Vytec and love it. I am gas limited rather than NDL limited for most of the dives I do around the PNW (and you probably are too, if you do your gas plan rationally). I took a liveaboard in the Carib once and did 14 dives in 4 days and it never so much as chirped at me - plenty of downtime even on repetitive dives.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

why not just get another nitek duo?? they are great computers, cheap, large easy to read numbers, user repaceable batteries.... i love mine in gage or dive mode.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well yes BUT the Docking station for the Nitek Duo has been a pain to connect to the dive computer. I have to get it JUST right and then hold it there with my hand so it does not move even a centimeter. I also had problems with the PC program that I had to call Dive Rite and it was that a file was not placing itself in the right area of the PC.

IF anyone knows or found a Nitek Duo at the DUI dog days rally Saturday it would be nice to get it back :notworthy:
Jeff Castor
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I dove a Cobra console for the first few years I dove, then got a Mosquito as a back up which I still use, and now use the Vyper 2. I like Suunto's. I like that they're conservative. I've never dove with any other computer so don't have anything to compare it to. But it does everything I need it to do, have never been limited in how many dives I do in a given amount of time, and none of them have ever locked up on me. I'm a pretty satisfied customer so far.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

FWIW my buddy Bassman dives a Suunto and really likes it, though it will occasionally be a bit of a limiting factor on multiple dives.. When he dives nitrox the difference in bottom time allowed is huge! Perhaps that's just because of the contrast when he dives air.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

I've got about 120 dives on my Vytec and like it a lot. Once on a boat dive I sat next to someone else with a Vytec and I started to pick up his transmitter. I just changed codes and switched places with my dive buddy and all was well. When I started diving 32 years ago (back when ScubaPro introduced the Bend-o-Matic) I dreamed about having all the information I needed to dive on my wrist and the Vytec is true dream fulfillment for me.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I have not changed the batteries in the computer for about 26 months and it is still giving me a fully-charged battery signal when I start it up. I'm thinking about changing batteries anyway. What do you all think?
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I would say if it's not broke dont fix it. I am sure it will tell you in enough time before the battery is completely discharged so i would wait and maybe keep a backup battery. I know my old dive computer and Vyper2 are user replacible batteries. Just need a quarter to turn it and make sure the O ring is clean when you put it back together. PRESSURE and WATER will find defects. :salute:
Jeff Castor