REDONDO

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

REDONDO

Post by cardiver »

Kate and I dove Redondo this evening at about 6 pm. Note to self........When you zip up your buddies drysuit, don't leave it open 2 inches so she won't get too hot. ](*,)
Viz was a whopping 5 fsw and the current was rippin'! We did see two octo's, a couple of tiny grunts, a huge sailfin, and Kate saw a skate!
We thumbed the dive after 24 minutes due to lack of viz and the aforementioned current. This was the first time I've ever had to call a dive at Redondo but it was fun nonetheless.

Thanks, Kate! :occasion5:
Attachments
CIMG1048.JPG
CIMG1047.JPG
CIMG1039.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Re: REDONDO

Post by Kalatin »

I am finally dried out and defrosted. I still say the zipper incident was not Ron's fault - I swear I watched him zip it up all the way! Oh well, it was a very good reminder of why I got the drysuit! Even with wet undies, it was still warmer than diving a wetsuit. The skate was very cool - the first time I have seen one. Watching the skate rise up, circle effortlessly, and zip off to the deep reminded me of a bird of prey, like an eagle or a falcon. Ron, I promise to jab your harder the next time I see a skate. I was trying to act all cool - like I see skates every day and it is no big deal. Ho hum, don't want to disturb your octo picture. Sorry about that.
This was definitely a three strikes dive - the drysuit zipper fiasco, my light died halfway through the dive, and then the current started ripping. Ron and I shared the universal "screw this" look and headed up the rope. By the end of the dive, we were both holding onto the rope, fins flapping in the current like flags when a storm is moving in. Still a good dive in my book.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
divergirl07
Avid Diver

Post by divergirl07 »

I think you guys were getting in as we were getting out... well , we went back for more last night.... We got out past the bug on the way to the dome when the current really started kickin'. I have not seen the current that strong there before. Yowzers!
"Life is short.......... I want it all ...NOW!!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i've only been diving the puget sound and specifically redondo for about a year, so i'm not familiar with the general patterns of currents over the long term. are these reports of currents kicking up at redondo normal? seem like there has been many over the last few months. i had always heard that it was not a current sensitive site.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Redondo has weird currents sometimes that come out of no where. They can be headed one direction in the shallows and going the other direction deep. They're bizarre, but can be tough to swim against sometimes.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!