Drysuit Zipper maintenance

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Drysuit Zipper maintenance

Post by DiverBob »

My wife dove her new (to her, Craigslist special!) drysuit at Fox Island West Wall today. We stayed shallow just to get her used to it and do some drysuit skills. She really enjoyed being warm and (mostly) dry. Her neck seal has been previously cut and will most likely need to be replaced before to long. Not worried about that, easy fix. After the dive, I noticed that the zipper has a little corrosion/oxidation on it. I tried cleaning it with a tooth brush and zipper wax, but not with the best results. What is the best way to clean off this blue/greenish colored stuff? I know that zipper replacement is spendy, so we want to take care of it now. Thanks, Bob.
Life is good, let's dive!!
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Re: Drysuit Zipper maintenance

Post by narcosis Junky »

Half and half vinegar and water. then soak and rinse dry suit. Dry for a few days. inside out first then the outside. then wax the zipper really good.
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/
lurch
Compulsive Diver

Post by lurch »

I use a zipper cleaning solution/brush and zipper wax available at NWSD that seems to work great. Zipper cleaner once every week to one month depending on your dive schedule and zipper wax after every rinse/dry session.

I also rinse the bloody heck out of the suit after a dive in salt water. I'll just stick the hose where the water can drain down the zipper all the way to the bottom (mine's front-entry) and let it sit there for a good 30 seconds or longer. I do this twice.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Diverbob,
Glad to hear the Drysuit is working out for her! :supz:
When are we going to dive again?
Thursday? Redondo? 5:00 pm? :smt064

As for my zipper? I wax the crap out of it after each Dive/rinse!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

While I was grabbing tanks the other night, I mentioned to Wally at Tacoma Scuba that I needed to replace the neck seal on my Wife's drysuit. Within 5 minutes, Wally had the old neck seal off and was busy prepping the new seal! We then had to run home and get the dog, it's wonderful living 5 minutes from a dive shop! Upon return, the seal was complete and Wally was busy cleaning the zipper! This was all done while taking care of other customers as he was the only one there. We had a dive today at Redondo and the seal worked great. Wally did an awesome job and went above and beyond by taking care of the zipper. Great service. :salute: Bob
Life is good, let's dive!!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

DiverBob wrote:While I was grabbing tanks the other night, I mentioned to Wally at Tacoma Scuba that I needed to replace the neck seal on my Wife's drysuit. Within 5 minutes, Wally had the old neck seal off and was busy prepping the new seal! We then had to run home and get the dog, it's wonderful living 5 minutes from a dive shop! Upon return, the seal was complete and Wally was busy cleaning the zipper! This was all done while taking care of other customers as he was the only one there. We had a dive today at Redondo and the seal worked great. Wally did an awesome job and went above and beyond by taking care of the zipper. Great service. :salute: Bob
Thats great to hear! I may be looking for someone to do some maintenance on my dry suit, once I save up enough scuba units or sell something. Anyone want to buy a bass guitar? or if you know someone who is looking, let me know.
Sorry for the small "Hijack" Bob
Glad to hear the drysuits are working out for you two! =D>
When are you ready to dive on Thursdays? :smt064
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

That's a lot better than the two plus weeks it took to get my neck seal done........
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

cardiver wrote:That's a lot better than the two plus weeks it took to get my neck seal done........
Ouch! #-o :violent1:<----"can't ...get...this...little yellow head... to stay down!"