1st day of Open Water

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
bnboly
Submariner

1st day of Open Water

Post by bnboly »

Today was my first day of open water training. :partyman: Am doing my open water with the Ft. Lewis dive center. So far only covered a few chapters in the book and demonstrated basic swimming skills.

Think we are pretty lucky doing the cert with Ft Lewis - the pool we use is used during the day by Madigan Army Medical Center for hydro therapy - so it's warmer than normal plus the pool area is heated to about 80. We were in the water for for at least 45 min and still felt quite comfortable.

Tomorrow we get our equipment and get to begin basic skills training and practice. :supz:
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Very, very cool (or hot!). Congratulations on kicking off your training. If you're like the rest of us, you'll be hooked in no time :supz:
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

yay! :supz: hope you come up and dive with us when you're done!
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

\:D/ =D>

Hooray. Have fun and get ready for a life of Wonder.

Like, I wonder if this is gonna work, I wonder where my buddy is, I wonder why I'm not sinking, I wonder what that is, I wonder why my instructor can do it and I cant, I wonder how I ever got certified, I wonder how Im gonna pay for all of this and I wonder if I can dive tomorrow and the next day and so on.

Finally there's I wonder how I survived so long without diving!! :supz:
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Pez7378 wrote:I wonder how Im gonna pay for all of this and I wonder if I can dive tomorrow and the next day and so on.
:laughing3: that was great, pez! (and this is about where i'm at right now ...)
my FLICKR photo sets
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Next thing you know you will be certified and getting wet with us.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Very soon! Have already invested 3 scuba units in a mask and snorkel!
( I need perscription lenses to see).

My better half is documenting the training in pictures - haven't yet been able to convince her to get certified yet, but I'm working on it!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

right on! you're on your way ... =D>
we love pics ... you gonna post some???
my FLICKR photo sets
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

PEZ - you forgot one wonder.... how the heck am I gonna figure out what equipment I'm gonna get! Everytime I think I know what I'm going to get I come across something else that makes me reconsider my earlier decision. Fortunately I'm able to try out about 1/2 the equipment during training that I am considering buying.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

bnboly,

Is Ray James still the instuctor at Ft. Lewis? He's a great instructor and an entertaining guy.

Jake
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Ray left Ft Lewis Scuba over a year ago. He just left for his 2nd tour in Iraq as a contractor. When he is in town, he works with Eric and Stan over at All in One Scuba in Tacoma.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I'm glad you understand the concept of "scuba units" and totally understand about finding more/different gear that makes you reconsider an earlier thought/opinion. Welcome to an expensive but rewarding hobby!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

Sounder wrote:I'm glad you understand the concept of "scuba units" and totally understand about finding more/different gear that makes you reconsider an earlier thought/opinion. Welcome to an expensive but rewarding hobby!
yeah; like ... i bought some really "nice" not-very-cheap fins brand new ... used them a few times ... and now i only use some other ones i got off of craigslist for $10. :-) i think that as you dive more, you will realize more what you want/need. the catch, of course, is that you need a lot of gear to dive in the first place, so chances are you will end up buying some things you don't like later ... but i think that's just part of getting into scuba (or any other gear-intensive sport for that matter).

looking forward to hearing about your first OW dive! \:D/
my FLICKR photo sets
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Thanks Amy, good to know he's still around anyway. I had a good time in his OW class.

Jake
sparky
I've Got Gills

Post by sparky »

LawGoddes :

you hit the Nailer right on the head
if you looked at my gear I have redone it like two or three times now.

I think part of it is that the more you dive the more you want to try other types of diving

So you will need more and differant gear,

not to metion some things are just too good a deal to pass up on.

Sparky
A Smart Man
Learns from his mistakes

A Wise Man
Learns from the mistakes of those that have gone before him
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Don't get too used to that 80 degree water. The local water temperatures are a wee bit cooler than that. #-o

Best of luck to you on the rest of your training.

Sasquatch
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Yea, the 80 degree water is nice, going to continue the warm water with a trip to Curacao the end of October.

I am already planning in using lots of scuba units! With lots of trips to warmer climates in the future I can easily see having at least 2 BCDs, a wetsuit, shorty, dry suit and much more! Gonna have some fun shopping!

TLG, I'll have some pictures for ya later this weekend.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

The first week is over! 3 more classes and 4 open water dives are no all the stand between me and the open water!

All in all it has been a very fun and exciting experience! So far the skills have been comming along pretty easy - the real test will be next weekend! Suprisingly the on thing that gives me the most trouble is putting the tank and BCD together! I know.... practice, practice, practice!
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

Pool and classroom is over! All that remains is Saturday and Sunday @ Sunnyside in Steilacoom! \:D/ Let's go make some bubbles! :supz: :partyman: