Maui Diving Gear

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Maui Diving Gear

Post by babs13 »

Wondering what is recommended/essential gear for Maui diving- 3mm or 5mm full wetsuit? bp/wing versus good ole bcd. lights-- required or advised? old school rubber fins or floppier fins? Looking to do some rec dives there in March.
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Re: Maui Diving Gear

Post by Jaksonbrown »

We were there in Dec 08. We did several dives a day in 2-3mil shortys. We did not exceed 50' though. No need for lights as there was more than enough ambient light at that depth. Water temps were a constant 76 degrees. Have fun, Its a great place to get some quality warm water diving in.

Cory
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

76 is cold, imho. I dive a 5 mil fullsuit no matter what the water temp is, though I didn't have it with me in Kauai last summer so I dove a shoddy 3mm fullsuit rental and was cold most of the time.
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

I use a 7mil shorty and am just right. Maui is a little warmer than the big island. there a 3-5mil full suit. As far as lights depending on the depth. There is plenty of ambient light to the bottem of rec depths, but to bring out the colors I take my backup light. Also to peer into cracks and crevises if you do the backside of Molakini. This is a must do dive. Have done it about four times, and is great.
Doug
If only I had Gills
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm here now -- Using a 5 mil wetsuit with a 2 mil hooded vest, and getting a little chilly about halfway through the dives -- but our dives are averaging 80 to 90 minutes. We are using our steel backplates; Peter has a 30 lb torus wing, and I'm using a 17 lb DSS travel wing. Do be aware that all tanks are yoke, so if you have a DIN regulator, you will need an adapter. (We forgot ours, and it would have been a huge pain if B&B Scuba hadn't pull out all the stops to set up some DIN tanks for us.)

I brought my canister light with me, because I just did. It's not very useful for signaling, although I can get someone's attention by flashing it at his mask, if he's close enough. It IS useful for looking down into coral and for lighting up holes. If you don't have a canister light, I'd still bring a small, bright backup light for hole-peering. Also, night shore diving here is fantastic, and all you need is a small light, because the water is so clear.

There is excellent shore diving on Maui -- the Mala Wharf and Polo Beach dives are my two favorites. You can find some information about the sites at www.alohashorediving.com If you are interested in boat diving, there are three main operators out of the Kihei/Wailea area -- B&B, Ed Robinson, and Mike Severns. B&B is wonderful for novice divers or those new to Hawaii. Mike Severns boat tends to attract more advanced divers and is highly critter-oriented. Nitrox is available but usually requires some kind of advance arrangements.

Have a good time -- The diving here is often not breath-taking, but it's fun.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
OreCoastDiver
Avid Diver

Post by OreCoastDiver »

I'm comfortable in a 2/3 full suit and a hood. My wife gets cold easy and has a 3/4. I'm amazed at how many people I see dive 5 and even 7 mm full suits on Maui WITH NO HOOD! What's up with that? Wear a hood and go down a little in the thickness of your suit. I think you'll be more comfortable.

I dive with my small back-up light to look in holes in the reef. We're planning to do at least a couple of night dives, so we'll be bringing all the lights.

We'll be there from March 10 to 20. Does that overlap with your trip? If so, let's get together for a dive. I know a lot of good shore diving. March is great because the whales are still there. Every time you're underwater you can hear them singing.

Also, be sure and buy a tank-rental card. Most dive shops have them and it will save you about a buck a tank. Lots of great shore dives on Maui. You can also take the ferry to Lani and Molokai for about $50 round trip and shore dive there. The fish and invert life is surprisingly different.
Brandon
Compression is good for the soul.
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Hi Barbera,

When you going. I will be there two weeks from today for two weeks. Also you will want a full suit of 3mm or 5mm. To protect you from the cold as well as the coral. Awesome shore diving there.

Greg
Got Water?
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Hmmm. Water temps in the mid-70s? In the Caribbean last month, I was chilly by the end of the week in a Hyperstretch 3mm full suit, and temps were high-70s... Might need to upgrade to the 5mm....
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

In the Caribbean I use a full 3mm wet suit. In Hawaii I use a 7 mm wet suit. After several dives I get cold even in 76 degree water.
Charles
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

Thanks everyone for the input. So for the regs...does it make a difference with hose length? I currently have a long hose set-up, but thought that a shorter hose would be better suited for traveling. Also, for the weight belt, do folks typically rent it there, or carry it on/check it in? :partyman:
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Boats have weight belts, if you ask, or loose weights if you want them. I use weight pouches on my cambands and use their loose weights.

No problem with the long hose. I take my can light, which makes the routing easy, but if you don't want to, you can put a knife or pocket on that side, or just tuck the extra hose into your waistband and fasten the waist snugly.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

babs13 wrote:Thanks everyone for the input. So for the regs...does it make a difference with hose length? I currently have a long hose set-up, but thought that a shorter hose would be better suited for traveling. Also, for the weight belt, do folks typically rent it there, or carry it on/check it in? :partyman:
Most dive operations have weight belts on their boats. I tend to carry the webbing belt with a stainless buckle and slide the weights on when I get there. Bring a couple keepers with you if you do that.

And on the long hose... Of course you should bring it. I myself feel safer knowing that I can jam a reg in someone's mouth if they need it. Just be prepared for questions from the other folks you're diving with. I suggest preparing a standard rap on why you've got a giant hose wrapped around you with another reg around your neck.

I wear a 3mm with a wool lining in Hawaii and I am often cold on the second dive of the day. I even take my wetsuit off during the SI and try to bask in the sun or some boats have a hot water hose. And I've got extra insulation and tend to be furnace most of the time. My friend who is way boney who lives there dives in a 5mm with a hood nearly every day.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

Sockmonkey wrote:And on the long hose... Of course you should bring it. I myself feel safer knowing that I can jam a reg in someone's mouth if they need it. Just be prepared for questions from the other folks you're diving with. I suggest preparing a standard rap on why you've got a giant hose wrapped around you with another reg around your neck.
I was thinking I'd have to do that if I brought the long hose. But, yes, I do feel the same way. \:D/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

LCF wrote:Boats have weight belts, if you ask, or loose weights if you want them. I use weight pouches on my cambands and use their loose weights.

No problem with the long hose. I take my can light, which makes the routing easy, but if you don't want to, you can put a knife or pocket on that side, or just tuck the extra hose into your waistband and fasten the waist snugly.
Lynne?!!
So?... Where are the dive reports? pictures? updates? Have you dove at night with the large Mantarays?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:No problem with the long hose. I take my can light, which makes the routing easy, but if you don't want to, you can put a knife or pocket on that side, or just tuck the extra hose into your waistband and fasten the waist snugly.
when i was in baja last november, i didn't bring my can light. i tried tucking the hose in my belts and it kept working loose, and was really annoying. next time, i'm using a 5' hose so i don't have to worry about stowing any extra length.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We've had so little internet access during this trip (basically sneaking into the back bedroom at my in-laws, and trying not to stay there long enough to offend anyone) that I haven't gotten any reports written. But they will come. I even got some decent pictures.