Nootka dreaming

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Nootka dreaming

Post by whatevah »

I'm heading up to Nootka Sound for ten days of fun mid-July. We'll be launching boats from Gold River and basing the rest of the adventure out of Tuta Marina. I'm seen much positive feedback about the Tahtsa Dive Charters folks and I've noted their willingness to offer input on this board, but I'm unlikely to spend much time up Tahsis Inlet - we'll be hanging around Bligh Island and Nootka Sound proper, in general. There's a chance we might spend one day up towards Tahsis if we need fills, and I've made note of Mozino Point as a possible dive site in that case, but we are taking a bunch of full cylinders along with us (and we could also just drive up to Tahsis for fills if necessary). So - anybody got input on dive sites around Bligh Island? How about out towards the open water? I've been salivating over a bunch of pinnacles out by Bajo Reef. Searching out currrent prediction tables for the area has produced little in the way of results - so input on tidal conditions is also welcome.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Nootka dreaming

Post by Joshua Smith »

Why don't you email Scott from Tahsis? He probably knows the area better than anyone.....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Joshua Smith wrote:Why don't you email Scott from Tahsis? He probably knows the area better than anyone.....
That's a good suggestion and I certainly plan to contact Scott. I hope that I get a chance to stop by Tahsis and say hi. Probably won't happen though, and looking at past discussion on Nootka when Scott has been kind enough to offer up his input gives me the impression that Tahsis Inlet and Esperanza Inlet are where his dive site experience runs deepest. I'm hoping to hear from others who might've spent time aboard private boats around Bligh Island, the Spanish Island Group, Nootka Sound proper, and Bajo Reef, etc. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

Hey,

I'll be at the Dive & Travel Expo. Hanging out at the Dive Industry Association of B.C. booth. Stop by for a chat!

Scott
Nootka Sound- probably the best kept secret on the west coast
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Scott - it was great to meet you and pick your brain. Thanks for all the info and I hope we can get together for a dive while I'm up that way in July (10th through 20th). A night dive to look for some photogenic sharks is definitely in my vacation plan now!
Scott
Avid Diver

Post by Scott »

Hey, no problem. Just give us a call on channel 6 and we'll get together!

Scott
Nootka Sound- probably the best kept secret on the west coast