Dive bag for Tech gear?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Dive bag for Tech gear?

Post by dieseldude »

I leave for SanDiego in a couple weeks & I'm pondering how to best transport my gear. I'm a new guy to the tech style but my gear leans that direction i.e. turtle fins,backplate.wing,2 masks, 2 lights,... & obviously trying to pack the drysuit. Can anyone recomend a bag that has just been awesome for this kind of travel. I hate to order one & then find out I can't fit my fins in the fins pockets or the drysuit takes up the whole bag etc...
I am aware of the 50lb limit. it't the available space I'm concerned about.
Thanks,
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
loanwolf
Pelagic

Re: Dive bag for Tech gear?

Post by loanwolf »

I have found the Deep Outdoors Road Trip to be one of the best. It has the largest capacity for the least amount of wight I have been able to find. I have two one for gear and one for my scooter. it wights is about 7 lbs.

http://deepoutdoors.divebiz.net/index.p ... ucts_id=80
Last edited by loanwolf on Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I've got this fancy mares roll-around suitcase with fin pockets on the side. It's really spiffy and I can pack a whole bunch of crap in it safely... however I think the thing is like 12 lbs to begin with. That's a stainless backplate and weighted STA I could put in my bag... stupid 50 lbs rule.

I tend to travel with one of those big mesh backpack things with the built-in drybag. They're light and I can use it to carry my gear into a dive boat without transferring it out of a suitcase type thing once I get there. Kinda like this one. I think any LDS should have such a thing. The one thing that suck about these bags is the plastic spring draw string keepers break. I tend to tie a slipknot around the keeper thing and hope that TSA ties it back up when they're done.

XS scuba makes a nice one with wheels but is heavier at 6.4 lbs and I really prefer a soft bag.

I keep my regs in a padded bag inside the larger bag. I also used the postal scale at work to ensure I was under 50 lbs.

Of course my drysuit undergarment doesn't fit in the mesh bag but my drysuit does.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We've been buying what amount to rolling duffle bags at Costco. They have a variety of compartments and pockets, weight virtually nothing, and one will hold a large proportion of my dive gear. Can light heads go in carry on, and sometimes I put my fins in the other bag with clothes, just to distribute weight a bit better. Now, mind you, I dive a Fusion drysuit, and it packs up pretty small.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:We've been buying what amount to rolling duffle bags at Costco.

same here. i have one very similar to this one, and it's been a cheap, reliable way of transporting gear.

i keep my mask, computer and regs with me in the cabin. can light, too, if i travel with it. everything else gets checked in the duffel.
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I have 2 of the Costco rolling blue duffel bags. I love them. My daughter loved it so much she bought one herself. They are only about $39 each. Cheap and good.
Charles
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Post by Diver Doug »

For what it is worth, I would never travel with a bag that advertises 1000,s of dollars of stuff inside. I use the costco rolling bag.
Doug
If only I had Gills
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

http://www.bdel.com/gear/hueys.php

i have one of these and there great. huge, can be worn as a pack, will be here with the cockroaches aand twinkies after a nuke is dropped.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Because of the weight limits, I've also considered attaching my carryon to my BP so I save the 6 pounds. To date, I've been able to use a two bag limit but I'm off to LAX in June and Alaska says one bag free -- so I may be trying out my backpack idea then.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

Peter Guy wrote:Because of the weight limits, I've also considered attaching my carryon to my BP so I save the 6 pounds. To date, I've been able to use a two bag limit but I'm off to LAX in June and Alaska says one bag free -- so I may be trying out my backpack idea then.
Now that's my kind of sneakiness :supz:
I carried my own weight to Maui, in my carry on. I'm not cheap! Just thrifty!
I ordered 2 Costco bags-hope they get here in time-I wasn't paying $30 to get them here in 3-5 days. I have a plan B if I have to & it may include lashing a bag to my backplate. My wife's gonna ask to sit with someone else, I can see that now. Are all divers embarrassing to there spouses?
Thanks for all the suggestions
MJII
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"